A&H

First game with a mentor

The Referee Store
Did my level one too (coach from u10-u16). Without being arrogant I think I'm more than adequate to referee Sunday league and most amateur football (although I'm well aware that there will be far better refs than me out there even at my lowly level). I'd like to eventually try for level 5 middles and it's a completely different game at that level. All the things I'm doing now might be completely inadequate at a higher level. I just need that guidance about positioning and certain procedures (both during and pre match). Observations are something I want and I'm not bothered even if they're ultra critical. I'd like some things to work on (not just lotg).

Did my level 1 too (coach for 6 years). I know I'm decent enough for grass roots but it's a different game away from the parks and pub league's. I had coaches telling me what to do for 25 years. Sometimes

Did my level one too (coach from u10-u16). Without being arrogant I think I'm more than adequate to referee Sunday league and most amateur football. I'd like to eventually try for level 5 and above and it's a completely different game at that level. All the things I'm doing now might be completely inadequate at a higher level. I just need that guidance about positioning and certain procedures (both during and pre match). Observations are something I want and I'm not bothered even if they're ultra critical. I'd like some things to work on (not just lotg).
If you'd really like some stuff to work on in the meantime (and you're confident in your basic ability), then get hold of a copy of the Observer handbook for various levels (even the one for Level 2B to 4). Plenty of more advanced stuff in there for you to consider introducing into your game ....

If you'd really like some stuff to work on in the meantime (and you're confident in your basic ability), then get hold of a copy of the Observer handbook for various levels (even the one for Level 2B to 4). Plenty of more advanced stuff in there for you to consider introducing into your game ....

I'll do that. Cheers for the advice.

I was on a course with 48 kids,the overwhelming majority of which were DoE and only showed any interest when we were playing football during the practical sessions (spent most of the time talking over the tutors,who were only early 20s themselves and didn't have the confidence, experience or authority to take control of the sessions). Then I couldn't get any qualifying games as these kids had all the available matches on the local youth league's so I switched counties and went straight into OA and cracked on. I attend RA meetings and there's this forum so I pick up loads of tips but it's having someone actually watch me that in short off, hence the promotion application. I've been a AR during an observation but that was a very negative experience, with the ref in tears afterwards in the changing rooms so perhaps not the best introduction to officiating at a higher level (ironically it was at a ground I played a cup final at 6 months previous and got subbed at half time for being absolutely **** lol).

Last edited:

I’d be interested to have a read of that too. Any idea where I can find one? on here somewhere? (sorry to butt in but I’m eager to improve too)

Agreed.

The only one close to that, that I ever use is if I shout "hands down" if I see a bit of arm duelling that I feel might progress into having to award a free kick (but which way?). ;)

Whenever I call "hands down" or "hands off" as a preventative measure, one player almost always looks back and claims they weren't fouling, "guilty conscious?" "how do you know I was talking to you?".

Always makes me smile!

Back