A&H

First L6-L5 Assessment

p4yno

Level 5 Referee
I had my first assessment of the new marking season today. It was a competitive game. Finished 3-1 to the home side. Had to issue two cautions, first for an off the ball following a tackle an away player off the ball barged a home player in retaliation as running past, didn't knock him over. I caught the incident with my trailing eye. Assessor was happy I saw it and I brought it back. Cautioned for A/A.

Second caution was following me awarding a goal kick, I thought I saw attacking player have last touch and head over, cue many away players surrounding me, was thinking to myself what have I missed here...? Players reactions tells a lot... sometimes, anyway one player despite being warned to go away, he didn't so cautioned for dissent. I spoke to my assessor after saying did I see something different, he thought it was a goal kick too.

The feedback was great, no real development points, thought I had full control, in credible positions to make decisions. The only small minor point was at a corner kick, starting position was spot on but should go towards the area after ball played just so in a better position for a ball over or not over the line scenario.

I will post the assessment report once I get it.

The Referee Store
The feedback was great, no real development points, thought I had full control, in credible positions to make decisions. The only small minor point was at a corner kick, starting position was spot on but should go towards the area after ball played just so in a better position for a ball over or not over the line scenario.

I will post the assessment report once I get it.
Was there an incident involving the ball over/not over the line? If not, then the assessor is adopting an incorrect viewpoint of assessing you on what might happen and not what did. #oldschool

Was there an incident involving the ball over/not over the line? If not, then the assessor is adopting an incorrect viewpoint of assessing you on what might happen and not what did. #oldschool

There was no such incident, literally mentioned as a minor development to move in and change position after corner taken. That was the only development point he made. I'm looking forward to seeing the report, which I should have by Weds. I've been assessed before I was hoping for feedback for things I could / should work on, but that's the only point he raised and that was clutching at straws as everything else was spot on.

My assessment from Sumday

You managed a good competitive and fast flowing game well, on a good surface on a very windy and cold day. You were always in control of this game, with your knowledge of the laws of the game. A quiet word with the players when required and by using good and loud communication with the players, keeping up with play, and making good clear and decisive decisions. You are a fit referee, you ran a good diagonal getting into the corners of the field of play when necessary. Both your short and long sprints were good. Your management of free kicks was good and you’re positioning for free kicks and corners were also good, although it is advisable to be on the move once the corner has been taken so that you can have a good view of the goal line.

You played advantage well (41st and 87th minutes). There were two cautions in this game, both seen and handled correctly. Away number 13 in the 70th minute and Away number 5 in the 44th minute.

Substitutions were all handled well from the halfway line. But please make sure the players that have left the field of play cover there playing shirts.

Injuries were handled correctly with you keeping a good view of the field of play.

You have a strong whistle which suited all occasions.

You can be pleased with your performance in this match I hope that you will follow up on the points are raised with you at half and full time.

Additional Comments:
It was good to see and hear that everybody involved enjoyed the game. You can be pleased with your performance in this match.

Performance Indicator: Above standard

Nice. Couple of points for any budding assessors out there.

Sort out your grammar

Don't talk to your referee at half time

Use times to aid descriptions and examples? (Or is that only at 4+?)
I didn't want to overload the new assessors. I remember what it was like. I'd spend so much time writing down a note about an incident that I'd miss the next one and probably the one after that! But while we're on the subject, times, examples, trends are the way forward for assessment reports

I didn't want to overload the new assessors. I remember what it was like. I'd spend so much time writing down a note about an incident that I'd miss the next one and probably the one after that! But while we're on the subject, times, examples, trends are the way forward for assessment reports
Don't know if it's still the case, but when I was a 4, assessments that didn't have timings for examples were thrown out. Negative comments without timings, resulting in a low mark (-70) were always successfully appealed, whilst positive comments without timings, resulting in a high mark (+73) were always edited upon review!

@DanCohen17 - It is encouraged to included timed examples for points raised at 6-5 & 7-6. They help frame the assessment and allow the referee to understand development points. The better assessors and assessments will include these.

Agree with Brian, don't raise any points at half-time unless serious issues as they will weaken the assessment. It is fine to speak in general but no specifics - we don't have to hid behind trees any more.

I've mentioned this on another thread, but I had an assessor mention at half time that my positioning was probably the main weak point in the first half - nothing more than a casual aside. And then as I assumed this meant I was staying too central (a comment previous assessors have given me), I started to accentuate my diagonal. Turns out what the assessor was looking for was for me to get closer to the CAR's, but by accentuating my diagonal, I spent more time further away from them and got a Below Standard as a result. Kind of wish I'd appealed that one in retrospect, but as he was very good and helpful in most other ways, I didn't.

So yeah - I'd suggest that talking about anything more substantial than the weather at half time is probably not fair on the referee in question.

That assessment would get sent back in my county as there isn't enough to support a mark of above standard.

That assessment would get sent back in my county as there isn't enough to support a mark of above standard.
If that were truly the case then I'm not entirely sure how anyone would end up getting promoted (given that Above Standard is the level required to be deemed ready for the next level). I'm not clear what more @p4yno would need to .. the report reads like an assured and accomplished performance that was appreciated by all concerned. If however you're saying that more specific examples of meeting the Level 5 criteria should have been included then I've got some sympathy for that point of view .. though equally true of 90% of the assessments I've read

Number of fouls, what were the players cautioned for etc, you could write that assessment without looking at your notes.

Just got my Supply League Assistant Referee assessment back, scored an 80 with no development points so I'm pleased with that

Back