A&H

First Time Being Assistant Referee

Dino Ref

I've been assigned to a semi final game on Saturday and on top of that I will more than likely be being assessed as I am going for promotion.

Anything I need to know or should?

The Referee Store
I've been assigned to a semi final game on Saturday and on top of that I will more than likely be being assessed as I am going for promotion.

Anything I need to know or should?
You won't be assessed as an AR
It's unlikely many assessments will take place over the coming weeks because observers are being schooled on a new process

Tell your ref before the game. He/she will most likely tell you to focus on offisides, ball in/out and the big one: goal/no goal.

Offsides: you know, 2nd last def includes the GK but might not if the GK has moved up, remember to wait and see, sideways movement is good.

Ball in/out: take your time, eye contact with ref, look for his/her tips, talk to yourself.

Goal/no goal: easily forgotten but it’s a semi and expect the unexpected! Every shot might hit the bar and bounce down, or squirm under the GK. Take nothing for granted.

Relax, enjoy, and warm up, as your first action might be a flat out 40 yard sprint chasing Sadio!

On the line for a semi too this week (same last week too). You'll probably know 90% of what to do now but it's the 10% that you don't know (if you're new) that catches you out.

These are the things I either looked up before my first game as AR or didn't know during my first match.

- where to stand on a goal kick in my half
- how to signal for a goal kick from a long shot when I'll be nowhere near the box
- how to signal a goal (ball going over the line)
- where to stand for a penalty
- when to switch hands with the flag.

I'm sure alot of this would've been covered in the course but their were 48 kids on my course and the tutors couldn't control them (not a criticism) so alot of the AR element of the course was ruined unfortunately.

Look these things up and read the LOTG on AR signalling beforehand and you'll be in good stead.

Take a flag and practice the signals. Do it in front of a mirror so that you know what you actually look like. When signalling, put your index finger running up the post of the flag--it will prevent you from flipping the flag backwards, which looks very awkward.

When I had new folk on line, I simply asked them to relax, take time, look into me before flagging and reassured them that there was nothing they could break that I could not fix,..

As above, be honest with ref, and they should be able to guide you, and, if the other AR is more experienced, get a look at how they are flagging etc

Always follow the ball all the way to the goal line. The one time you don't make that run the keeper will go sliding across and nobody will have a scooby if he's kept it in play or not.

Reactions: one
And for god snakes don't look at the flag when signalling :D. The flag would still be there in your hand.

Always follow the ball all the way to the goal line. The one time you don't make that run the keeper will go sliding across and nobody will have a scooby if he's kept it in play or not.
Yep, if the ball is further up than the second last defender then you must be in line with the ball. As above, or even if the ball is gently rolling to the keeper. When the keeper fumbles it and makes a second attempt with the ball on or around the goal line, you don't want to be making a decision from 15 yards up field looking lazy :)

- how to signal for a goal kick from a long shot when I'll be nowhere near the box
I could do with an answer to that question as I've always been unsure :cool:

If a player takes a shot from 25/30 yards, are you then sprinting towards the goal or sticking with the second last defender? Or lets say, if a defender plays the ball over the top of a high line and nobody chases it down and it slowly bounces towards the penalty area, are you jogging with the ball as or staying up with the second last defender whos still stood in the centre circle?

If a player takes a shot from 25/30 yards, are you then sprinting towards the goal or sticking with the second last defender? Or lets say, if a defender plays the ball over the top of a high line and nobody chases it down and it slowly bounces towards the penalty area, are you jogging with the ball as or staying up with the second last defender whos still stood in the centre circle?

If you think there’s any chance the ball might head in (and thus you’ll be needed to establish whether or not the ball has crossed the line), I’m sprinting like hell to get there.

The correct theoretical answer is to follow the ball as soon as it passes the 2nd-last defender. As others have said, there's always a chance of the keeper spilling it and you needing to make the most important decision of all - goal/no goal.

In practice and assuming the ball is going comfortably wide, it depends if the ref has asked you to check all the goal kicks or not. If he has, then you'll need to be in line with the goal area regardless, so you may as well look smart by running into position and then flagging. If he's asked you to prioritise the offside line, or only check intermittently, then you can get away with no flag if it's really obvious, or jog to about the edge of the PA and flag from there if you want to clarify it's a GK rather than a corner.

Always follow the ball if it goes passed the second last defender. Keep a still image of player positions at the moment the ball was kicked by an attacker in your head for any rebound/saves. If it takes you a long time to get there, it's an obvious goal kick/corner kick and the referee has already signalled then no need to flag. It its a contentious decision then you should flag preferably soon when near the corner flag (since you were sprinting :) ) but anywhere passed the 6 yard line is acceptable. For contentious decisions eye contact with the referee and use discreet signals as soon as possible.

If before you get there the keeper gets clear control of the ball with the hands then you can go back to the second last defender.

If someone smashes the ball out for a goal kick and there is no disputing it then there is no need for a signal, but as the player shoots you need to be ready start moving to goal line.
Your position should always be in line with second last defender or the ball, whichever is closest to the goal line. Exceptions being if the keeper has the ball, unchallenged, and unlikely to be.

Dont get too caught up with exact position so soon, yes its Utopic to be exact in line with whatever but AR Cam on any top flight ref and we will find them momentarily not exact at points too

First few games? Concentrate. Relax. Take guidance off the referee. Watch the other AR. Talk to self whole time, 9 is off, 9 is off, 9 is off.. ball played 9 IS OFF !!
red ball if it goes, red ball if it goes....RED

and so on.

Ask, ask the ref at half time how you look, and as above posted, practise in front of mirror to see how you look.

Failing that, do what I did and be a deliberately awfull AR so you get lots of middles......

County or League semi? Sussex run AR training nights for all the folk they've assigned to run lines for their semi/finals - check whether your CFA does or not.

Otherwise, my five top (?!) tips:

1/ Practice crabbing, if for no reason other than to get your leg muscles used to it.
2/ Hold the flag in the hand between you and the referee - this will most often be your left hand, but if running up the line towards the centre may be your right hand.
3/ Be crisp with your signals.
4/ Don't change hands whilst the flag is extended.
5/ Mirror the other NAR if required, if the flag needs to be brought to the attention of the ref (i.e. if the other NAR is flagging and the ref doesn't see it, you flag as well).

Back