A&H

Foreign Object - DOGso

The Referee Store
Haha, I thought that only ever happened on a LOTG test! Agree with your conclusion, the law allows for the goal to be given regardless here.

Haha, I thought that only ever happened on a LOTG test! Agree with your conclusion, the law allows for the goal to be given regardless here.
Thats my understanding, my chat disagrees and believes the ball has to cross the line for it to be given

Thanks for clearing that up, as an observer and former class tutor I was blissfully unaware whst that meant..........

or maybe the post was in relation to a goal scoring opportunity, being stopped by a 🐶🐶🐶🐶

making it, a Dog so .....
It was a play on words in relation to it being a dog

6407CA4C-F48E-4CB9-9BFB-6E5F018F3172.jpeg
Emailed Ifab, I am aware they arent always correct with their own laws but I would have taken my above post to mean that if it was going in it should stand

It is really badly worded, but the goal can only be given if the ball crosses the line. Previously a goal would be denied if it hit the foreign object and still went in, this law change allows the referee to use discretion as to whether the goal can still be given.

It is really badly worded, but the goal can only be given if the ball crosses the line. Previously a goal would be denied if it hit the foreign object and still went in, this law change allows the referee to use discretion as to whether the goal can still be given.
I guess that's my misunderstanding - I remember this change being introduced and thought at the time the wording was a little unclear but as @Degnann says, thought it was written to be interpreted as two separate events. Still seems wilfully archaic that the referee can't just make that call based on what would obviously otherwise happen

I guess that's my misunderstanding - I remember this change being introduced and thought at the time the wording was a little unclear but as @Degnann says, thought it was written to be interpreted as two separate events. Still seems wilfully archaic that the referee can't just make that call based on what would obviously otherwise happen
Basic principles of football though...
Where do you extend it to. Say that wasn't a goal, and the dog stopped the ball going for a throw in - ahh sod it just give the throw?
Which is all fine and well until a referee makes a wrong call on a marginal decision, or just like spirit of the game start applying it to other situations that SOG does not apply to.
Yes, it's poorly written. Too wordy and a bit jumbled. No surprise there.
I think we open a wierd and wonderful Pandoras box if we start allowing referees to make decisions based on what the think would Obviously happen.

Basic principles of football though...
Where do you extend it to. Say that wasn't a goal, and the dog stopped the ball going for a throw in - ahh sod it just give the throw?
Which is all fine and well until a referee makes a wrong call on a marginal decision, or just like spirit of the game start applying it to other situations that SOG does not apply to.
Yes, it's poorly written. Too wordy and a bit jumbled. No surprise there.
I think we open a wierd and wonderful Pandoras box if we start allowing referees to make decisions based on what the think would Obviously happen.
It's an established concept in other sports for much less clear-cut examples and it doesn't break those games. The penalty try in rugby is the most obvious example. The concept of "points awarded by the referee in specific circumstances" is not new, hence why I understood that to be the concept that was being introduced here.

In terms of if it should be done? You can make a classic "slippery slope" argument, but there's literally no reason to go any further down that slope. So yes - in the cases where the ball is obviously going in the goal and an outside agent unrelated to the players and officials interferes, I don't see that an awarded goal would be particularly game-breaking at all. It's a one-in-a-million occurrence anyway...

What about where this same scenario happens, but the goal mouths are waterlogged? What would you do if the onus was on the referee to make a predictive decision?

What about where this same scenario happens, but the goal mouths are waterlogged? What would you do if the onus was on the referee to make a predictive decision?
Like I said to James, there's absolutely no need to turn this into a "slippery slope" discussion. Just because "A" is true, does not automatically mean "B", "C" or "D" must also be true. The weather is not defined as an outside agent, so (assuming you're not calling the game off for a waterlogged pitch) then no goal.

You can keep throwing scenarios at me and I'm going to keep giving you a consistent answer on where the line is.

Like I said to James, there's absolutely no need to turn this into a "slippery slope" discussion. Just because "A" is true, does not automatically mean "B", "C" or "D" must also be true. The weather is not defined as an outside agent, so (assuming you're not calling the game off for a waterlogged pitch) then no goal.

You can keep throwing scenarios at me and I'm going to keep giving you a consistent answer on where the line is.
Graeme, I take your point but all changes need to be risk assessed. Not saying BC and D are true but they are certain ly more likely.

Regarding your point on rugby (I know very little) there is a difference between a ball passing the line between 2 posts 8 yards apart and lower than 7ft. Than a ball being carried over and placed on the floor in a 60 yard length area.

Back