A&H

Georgia v Luxembourg

DJIC

Something we thought may occur more frequently when VAR was introduced. Play brought back after a goal.

2.40 to 5.25

The Referee Store
Something we thought may occur more frequently when VAR was introduced. Play brought back after a goal.

2.40 to 5.25

The game has been extremely fortunate that this sort of thing has not been more commonplace
In particular, I'm somehow yet to see a scenario where a team should get... say, a PK on review.... but that side goes on to score anyway. I'm amazed that this doesn't happen on a relatively frequent basis

It happened a good few years ago in a UCL match where a team was awarded a penalty on-field, which was then overturned and the opposition got one instead. It was at Borussia Dortmund if I remember correctly in the early stages of VAR. I think it is probably just not something that the officials think to check which is why it is so rare.

Echoes of Burnley Vs Bournemouth a few years ago when Bournemouth thought they had equalised, given onfield. VAR then recommended a review, the Bournemouth goal was disallowed and Burnley were awarded a highly debatable penalty for handball instead.

The game has been extremely fortunate that this sort of thing has not been more commonplace
In particular, I'm somehow yet to see a scenario where a team should get... say, a PK on review.... but that side goes on to score anyway. I'm amazed that this doesn't happen on a relatively frequent basis
I wonder, in the Burnley v Brentford game recently, whether Toney would have got a penalty for foul by keeper, if it was a foul that is, on review but didn't look because Ajer scored moments later.

1:40 onwards.
Clip suggests two different phases, but the cut between the two is merely seconds. Ball floats from left wing to right wing before going back into box for the goal.

IMO it did impede movement, as they're both trying to head the ball and you can see the attacker pull down at that moment.

I think it is probably just not something that the officials think to check which is why it is so rare.
huh? Every possible PK gets checked. We don’t see it very often because the VAR is going to ask the R to stop play if a PK is likely to be awarded via an OFR to avoid exactly this problem. A goal taken back for a PK at the other end should only happen if there is a fast counter attack that doesn’t give the VAR time to make that recommendation.

More likely to cause problems is a DFK just outside the box, which isn’t reviewable, but becomes reviewable if it was the start of the APP and the other team scores or gets a PK. So the non-reviewable foul gets reviewed as part of the APP and the goal scoring opportunity is given and the goal wiped.

huh? Every possible PK gets checked. We don’t see it very often because the VAR is going to ask the R to stop play if a PK is likely to be awarded via an OFR to avoid exactly this problem. A goal taken back for a PK at the other end should only happen if there is a fast counter attack that doesn’t give the VAR time to make that recommendation.

More likely to cause problems is a DFK just outside the box, which isn’t reviewable, but becomes reviewable if it was the start of the APP and the other team scores or gets a PK. So the non-reviewable foul gets reviewed as part of the APP and the goal scoring opportunity is given and the goal wiped.
I appreciate that but sometimes things do get missed.

Back