A&H

Grass Roots Season Curtailment (?)

The Referee Store
Not shocked at all.

There are a number of players who don't want to start playing in case they get tagged by "test and trace" and therefore have to miss work.

So, a few local matches then starting again in July/August.

For you @es1 - cricket 🏏 practice.
Yeah no surprise.

Too many games left to play. Little prospect of clubs being able to generate revenue from spectators and bar revenues.

Start again next season and hope we can get back to some semblance of normality in terms of football played.

At least we will be able to get some local football in. Wonder what step 7 will do.

At least we will be able to get some local football in. Wonder what step 7 will do.
Clubs being canvassed for feelings on options. Some want to quit entirely, others in favour of supplementary competition just to get people playing again.

Clubs being canvassed for feelings on options. Some want to quit entirely, others in favour of supplementary competition just to get people playing again.

Yeah Step 7 is a funny one. I know a few clubs that pay players down this way, whereas others are more in that grassroots type model. We have a couple of the top teams that aspire to Step 6 that charge entry for their games and run refreshments.

Be very interesting to see what happens. I think a few mini tournaments and maybe friendlies to get people playing is likely to happen, with any team that doesn’t want to participate simply opting out.

Isthmian U18s/U23s curtailed.

Middx FA contacting their grassroots leagues to see if they are continuing or not.

Based on that they will then contact clubs and see if they want County FA to organise cup comps or not.

My local Sunday league is looking to start again on 4th of April with the season ending around the 27th of June (depending on covid etc)

My Senior County League will run League Cup comps using Groups, semi's and finals
My Sunday League has got 100% unanimous agreement from every team to conclude the season in full starting on Good Friday, some double-headers and some evening games. Semi's and Finals likely to be played at the start of next season
Pretty much what I'd predicted. Actually, probably better than I predicted :)

Our step 7 league is hoping to start up again with a few caveats...

they need an extension in June
then want to close registrations for new players to stop loads of semi pros dropping into the league temporarily

they're going to either attempt to play out the season to a complete close or write off the results so far and get everyone to play each other once

all TBC and agreed but sounds promsing (and very optimistic!)

Full details TBC, but my grassroots youth league is planning for a restart over the Easter weekend and appears to be committed to completing the season in full. Positive news and something to look forward to.

Full details TBC, but my grassroots youth league is planning for a restart over the Easter weekend and appears to be committed to completing the season in full. Positive news and something to look forward to.
Same as the one near me, might even be the same one!

Gone off Youth middles, but I might be tempted to do one or two in the late spring/early summer sunshine!:cool:

As predicted my step 6 are looking at a 4 groups of 5 Tourney 😜 depends on fans being allowed etc.

I’ve been booked in for my first two games: a team that are in the Sunday league I ref in have been in touch to book me in for a couple of friendlies on Sunday 4th & 11th April. The league are talking about restarting on the 18th. To be honest, I’d rather be ref-ing on a warm Sunday in April than a cold wet one in January!

My Saturday league has already posted fixtures for Sat. 3rd April, but haven’t appointed refs yet.

My (grassroots) league has decided to try to finish the season. I see a lot of double headers in my future.

Just had an academy line come through for tomorrow! First game since mid-December :)

Fixtures have also gone up from Easter weekend for my grassroots league, so all looking very positive!

Just had an academy line come through for tomorrow! First game since mid-December :)

Fixtures have also gone up from Easter weekend for my grassroots league, so all looking very positive!
Grassroots games lined up for me for Easter Saturday and Sunday! First games in the UK for a few years - couldn’t be more up for it. Pray good the weather holds out!

Got myself my first 4,confirmed appointments, 10/4, 17/4, 24/4 and 8/5, all 1030 ko.

Waiting on my Saturday afternoon league and Sunday morning leagues to give me appointments, only been asked for availability for the Saturday at the mo.

But things are on the up, and I'm starting to feel a bit happier re football. I've worked all through covid collecting waste, so feel very lucky to have a reason to be out the house a lot of the week, but no football has really got me down. Without work I'm not sure how I'd have coped.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Back