A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention - I was meaning to convey that I would be surprised at a virologist for saying that. As I say, it's not a flu and that was not the original name (in scientific/medical circles it was originally just referred to as a 'novel coronavirus') so I couldn't imagine why such a person would say that.
OK, misunderstanding

One of my favourite VIZ characters
Major Misunderstanding!1583658989480.png

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If you saw the fact checker stuff, there’s no evidence it came from bats or meat markets. That was speculation subsequently reported as fact.

EB582867-D501-41AD-BC0E-6F88B5EBE7A0.jpeg
At least Greta and her mob will be happy as the fall off in air travel and tourism will cut pollution and Co2!

OK, so I'm going to have to go into 'pedant mode' here (some might say I never leave it). :)

Firstly, it's not the name of the virus (which is SARS-CoV-2), it's the name of the disease it causes. The chosen disease name contains the number to indicate in which year it was first detected and is short for 'Coronavirus disease 2019'.

WuFlu is in no way, shape or form an accurate, scientific name for the disease or the virus - if for no other reason than the fact that as mentioned several times, it is not a flu.
In that case, it should be called Chinese Disease. Agree?

One thing I don't understand, all the experts seem to be saying they hope that it will be more difficult to spread when we move into the spring and summer and warmer weather. Yet it has spread in Singapore, where it is hot all year round and is 32 to 34C at this time of year, which strikes me as somewhat invalidating that hope.

One thing I don't understand, all the experts seem to be saying they hope that it will be more difficult to spread when we move into the spring and summer and warmer weather. Yet it has spread in Singapore, where it is hot all year round and is 32 to 34C at this time of year, which strikes me as somewhat invalidating that hope.

I think the hope is that the move into spring and summer will see a reduction in flu cases, and that will reduce the strain on the NHS in the event of a major outbreak like Italy.

I think the hope is that the move into spring and summer will see a reduction in flu cases, and that will reduce the strain on the NHS in the event of a major outbreak like Italy.

That makes more sense, but I've definitely heard people in positions of power saying they hope that warmer weather will slow the spread, including good old POTUS himself ... :facepalm:

That makes more sense, but I've definitely heard people in positions of power saying they hope that warmer weather will slow the spread, including good old POTUS himself ... :facepalm:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200308-190546.jpg
    Screenshot_20200308-190546.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 17

Still doesn't explain why Singapore are struggling though. They've applied the most draconian quarantine laws of all countries (cancelled the permanent resident visa of someone who had lived there for 30 years as an example) yet are still getting infections even in their warm and humid climate.

That is a nonsense quote as so far this virus hasn't reached areas where, for example, mosquitoes kill thousands every day. If it does then you can take that 2740 per day and multiply it ten fold. People dying of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc, will, unfortunately, die anyway.

133 people died in Italy today alone from the virus, this is a very serious issue and info graphics like the one you have posted do not help. The Italian authorities are now seemingly accepting that they underestimated how serious this situation is and their, albeit very strong, reaction is too late and is akin to closing the stable doors after the horse has bolted.

That is a nonsense quote as so far this virus hasn't reached areas where, for example, mosquitoes kill thousands every day. If it does then you can take that 2740 per day and multiply it ten fold. People dying of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc, will, unfortunately, die anyway.

133 people died in Italy today alone from the virus, this is a very serious issue and info graphics like the one you have posted do not help. The Italian authorities are now seemingly accepting that they underestimated how serious this situation is and their, albeit very strong, reaction is too late and is akin to closing the stable doors after the horse has bolted.
I didn't write the quote, obviously, but some things need putting into context of other things that are also deadly to humans.

Someone said to me the other day:
All precautions before an outbreak will be seen as an overreaction. All actions when an outbreak has occurred will be seen as too little too late.

Authorities have a very difficult task on their hands. This is a virus that has no vaccine at present and we still don't know how it operates. They need to promote ways to have good public health without causing panic. On balance I think the world response has been good (far more measured than what I remember of H1N1)

Yes other things kill more people everyday but we have reasonable ways of mitigating them so that they affect small parts of the population. A full blown pandemic is unmanageable and would massively stretch the resources of a country's healthcare system, food supply and ultimately economy.

We should take it seriously. We should not panic. Have good hand hygiene and minimise where you cough and sneeze (into the crook of your elbow not your hands).

Look at both China and Italy as cautionary tales - their governments have had to take some quite drastic measures that I certainly don't want to see here.

I'm not sure that "all the experts" are saying that. Yes, some are pointing out that there is a tendency for some airborne viruses to spread less easily in higher temperatures. However according to the scientific literature I've read, it takes sustained temperatures of over 56°C to inactivate this coronavirus. So unless you're in Death Valley or the Atacama desert, the temperature would at best only potentially mitigate the effects, not kill the virus off completely.

As for places like Singapore, I'm guessing that a fair amount of the virus transmission goes on in indoor settings rather than out in the open, where the temperature would be more of a factor.

Still doesn't explain why Singapore are struggling though. They've applied the most draconian quarantine laws of all countries (cancelled the permanent resident visa of someone who had lived there for 30 years as an example) yet are still getting infections even in their warm and humid climate.
Another thing that occurs to me as regards the temperature factor is that even if it's true for things like the seasonal flu, is there good evidence that it's equally true for coronaviruses? MERS is a coronavirus and it doesn't seem to have any problems surviving in some of the hottest climates in the world. Around 84% of all the confirmed cases of MERS in the world have been in Saudi Arabia, which gets temperatures in excess of 50°C quite routinely in the hottest times of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back