A&H

How long before Coronavirus impacts Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this thread was meant to be about the potential (or actual) effect of the virus on football?

Seems to me to have become a general discussion about the coronavirus itself!! :rolleyes:

The Referee Store
I thought this thread was meant to be about the potential (or actual) effect of the virus on football?

Seems to me to have become a general discussion about the coronavirus itself!! :rolleyes:

Which is fine as it is in the Off Topic forum ... :)

Yer Brownie Points to me for using the posting the OP in the correct forum 😇
I fancy I'm on course for the longest thread in RefChat's history :(

Another thing that occurs to me as regards the temperature factor is that even if it's true for things like the seasonal flu, is there good evidence that it's equally true for coronaviruses? MERS is a coronavirus and it doesn't seem to have any problems surviving in some of the hottest climates in the world. Around 84% of all the confirmed cases of MERS in the world have been in Saudi Arabia, which gets temperatures in excess of 50°C quite routinely in the hottest times of the year.

I have also seen part of the seasonal effect linked to the tendency of more people to be goruped together inside when it is cold than when it is warmer and people want to be outside.

Good news for a Yorkshireman!!!..... I'm getting my kids xmas money back!!! Happy Days, Flights cancelled by them!!! Next!!! Whats Withensea like at this time of year??
Great, Covid 19 free cos nobody goes there..........unless you're a wezzie.........

I wonder if they could just ref the games from Stockley Park, no point in refs putting themselves in any peril!

Some would say this already started in August last year!

Man City Vs Arsenal has been postponed after Arsenal played Olympiakos in February.
To be fair, it's not just because they played them, it's because several of the Arsenal players came into contact with the Olympiakos owner, who has since been confirmed to have the virus.

Not soccer, but in the US the NBA suspended all play indefinitely after a player was diagnosed with the virus. And the NCAA college basketball tournament will have no spectators at any venues.

Impossible to know what the outcome of seasonal competitions is going to be
UCL might just get scrapped, but the EPL and other Leagues are gonna be screwed. Whilst it might be easy to declare Liverpool as winners, how do they decide Promotion/Relegation? Unprecedented nightmare
I'm definitely not qualified to judge the overall reaction to the virus, but I would bet that football is about to take a massive nose-dive south (from which it may not recover with respect to this playing season)

Last edited:
Impossible to know what the outcome of seasonal competitions is going to be
UCL might just get scrapped, but the EPL and other Leagues are gonna be screwed. Whilst it might be easy to declare Liverpool as winners, how do they decide Promotion/Relegation? Unprecedented nightmare
I'm definitely not qualified to judge the overall reaction to the virus, but I would bet that football is about to take a massive nose-dive south (from which it may not recover with respect to this playing season)

Totally.

What for the Euros? Realistically I mean (outside of complete cancellation).

Postponement til next summer? Unlikely since the knock-on affect would be an insurmountable obstacle (IMO). Play in empty stadiums in June but still televised?

One way or another this summer is turning out to be a real pisser and it hasn't even started yet!! ... :(

Champions League - Suspended
Europa League - Suspended
La Liga - Suspended
Serie A - Suspended
Ligue 1 - Behind closed doors
Bundesliga - Behind closed doors

Premier League - Don’t shake hands lads😂

3 Leicester players with some symptoms. Surely their game will be off this weekend?
It does seem the UK is lagging in decision making.
Just found out that two relatives in blighty are self-isolating because international conferences were happening last weekend and - no surprise - infected people turned out to have been in attendance.

Personally I have been really looking forward to the Iber Cup in Cascais starting 4.4 as I think were a few other members on here. But it's hard to imagine Juventus and Man City U15s travelling... surely it's just a matter of days before it's called off. Portugal has few cases but surely no youth organization wants to take risks.

Ah and 10 minutes ago the Finnish FA announced all national competitive footy is off. Including all FA-organised camps and courses.
...and recommends all clubs cancel all activities until end of March.

I presume all local footy and youth footy will be cancelled tomorrow.

Last edited:
It does seem the UK is lagging in decision making.

From the BBC article it seems like they think it won't actually do much good anyway. I am concerned because I count as high-risk if I get infected, and there's been confirmed cases here locally this morning, so I really dread putting myself out there and into a situation where I might get it. (Then again, I could stay home and get it so who knows.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back