A&H

I need the motivation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoIsThis

Hey everyone,

For almost 3 years now, I have been considering doing a referee course and then going on to referee games but for some reason or another I never have. I'm 20, currently in my last year of uni and honestly think I'd quite like to do it and I have no idea why I haven't. Maybe it's because I'm quite a shy person, maybe it's because some people would look at it as a bit of a "weird" hobby but I'm not sure. I just need that extra bit of motivation to do it, but I don't know where to get it from.

Any tips anyone has would be much appreciated!

The Referee Store
i took my course in my last year of uni too, always wanted too and finally decided to give it a go but i wish i'd done it sooner.

the cash in your pocket is very much appreciated and i'd never be as fit as i was now without reffing, just a couple of things to think about

I'm a shy person. And nothing in my life has helped me gain more confidence than refereeing.

Of course it's difficult to get into, and there's nothing I can say to help you get over that initial hurdle other than "you just have to get your head down and do it". But once you've done the course, you'll have a better understanding of the laws and how to apply them then anyone else on that football pitch. And it's that feeling of knowing that you're the one person in the area who has the skills and knowledge to control a situation or make important decisions, that I take out of refereeing and put into my work and personal life.

It's worth pointing out as well that once you are qualified, you have a huge amount of control over where you referee. Find the idea of men's football a bit much? No one will object if you want to start off at U15's, or revert to that if you try OA and it seems a bit much initially. It's up to you.

i took my course in my last year of uni too, always wanted too and finally decided to give it a go but i wish i'd done it sooner.

the cash in your pocket is very much appreciated and i'd never be as fit as i was now without reffing, just a couple of things to think about
yeah they are obviously two great positives for sure! I've missed being involved ever since my youth sunday league team finished. Assuming you lived away from home at uni, did you do the course in your uni area? Did you ever actually get to referee in the area before uni finished?

I'm a shy person. And nothing in my life has helped me gain more confidence than refereeing.

Of course it's difficult to get into, and there's nothing I can say to help you get over that initial hurdle other than "you just have to get your head down and do it". But once you've done the course, you'll have a better understanding of the laws and how to apply them then anyone else on that football pitch. And it's that feeling of knowing that you're the one person in the area who has the skills and knowledge to control a situation or make important decisions, that I take out of refereeing and put into my work and personal life.

It's worth pointing out as well that once you are qualified, you have a huge amount of control over where you referee. Find the idea of men's football a bit much? No one will object if you want to start off at U15's, or revert to that if you try OA and it seems a bit much initially. It's up to you.
Thanks for the reply! I think I'd really enjoy the knowing more of the rules part. I think I'm pretty good now but obviously if I did the course I'd learn a lot more. Since my sunday team finished I've always wanted to get back involved in football which is probably why I've considered being a ref for so long. I'm sure if I ever did it I'd get a lot more confidence, but the first few games would be painful I think haha

yeah they are obviously two great positives for sure! I've missed being involved ever since my youth sunday league team finished. Assuming you lived away from home at uni, did you do the course in your uni area? Did you ever actually get to referee in the area before uni finished?

yeah i did live away and i took the course about this time of year too and was reffing uni games and local saturday and sunday leagues before the end of the year.

obviously you need to be proactive and get in touch with the leagues yourself, but you'll get games in no problem.

what part of the country are you in?

yeah i did live away and i took the course about this time of year too and was reffing uni games and local saturday and sunday leagues before the end of the year.

obviously you need to be proactive and get in touch with the leagues yourself, but you'll get games in no problem.

what part of the country are you in?
I live in Coventry for uni and down south usually. I tried to look the other day and didn't have a clue who my local FA was here! By the end of the year, I assume you mean the academic year not calendar year haha

Thanks for the reply! I think I'd really enjoy the knowing more of the rules part. I think I'm pretty good now but obviously if I did the course I'd learn a lot more. Since my sunday team finished I've always wanted to get back involved in football which is probably why I've considered being a ref for so long. I'm sure if I ever did it I'd get a lot more confidence, but the first few games would be painful I think haha
I doubt you'd find anyone on here who didn't have a painful game at some point in the first 5 or 6, unfortunately, that is a part of the learning process. But even that ties into what I was saying earlier - learning to overcome adversity and get yourself back out there after a tough day is an applicable skill in other areas of life as well.

I live in Coventry for uni and down south usually. I tried to look the other day and didn't have a clue who my local FA was here! By the end of the year, I assume you mean the academic year not calendar year haha

no calendar, i passed the course one weekend and had a game the following weekend!

no calendar, i passed the course one weekend and had a game the following weekend!
Didn't realise it was so fast! Might just dive into it then and then if I enjoy it, I can do it when I'm back home as well. Now I need to somehow find my local FA! Any idea how?

Didn't realise it was so fast! Might just dive into it then and then if I enjoy it, I can do it when I'm back home as well. Now I need to somehow find my local FA! Any idea how?

it's as quick as you want it to be, you have to go and get the games, but there'll be plenty to get stuck in with, you / uni or adult

i'm guessing your CFA will be Birmingham, drop the RDO and email and they'll point you in the right direction

Here’s another incentive that, I think, often gets overlooked and is perhaps particularly relevant to you as you will be graduating soon and entering a tough jobs market.

Refereeing has many, many transferable skills that are attractive to employers: soft-skills, communication, making difficult decisions, working both as part of a team, but also independently, taking responsibility etc. If nothing else, having “FA Football Refree” on your cv will provide a point of distinction between you and the many other cvs they will receive.

Bite the bullet, sign up, do the course - you’ll enjoy it, and benefit from it.

Here’s another incentive that, I think, often gets overlooked and is perhaps particularly relevant to you as you will be graduating soon and entering a tough jobs market.

Refereeing has many, many transferable skills that are attractive to employers: soft-skills, communication, making difficult decisions, working both as part of a team, but also independently, taking responsibility etc. If nothing else, having “FA Football Refree” on your cv will provide a point of distinction between you and the many other cvs they will receive.

Very good point, my cv is a bit lacking right now haha

Do it, and if you're not keen on doing 'middles' early on, get the ones you need to do for your first 5 out the way, then look into running lines for a couple of months potentially, to learn from more experienced referees.

This is so true. Its that little something extra that makes you stand out.

This. 100% this. I started at refereeing at 16 and in every interview I've had since then (whether that be for my postgrad courses at uni or for graduate jobs) it has been something the interviewer has mentioned and that has opened up a discussion. Equally, when I have been reviewing CVs of candidates it's the kind of thing I look for to set them apart from the crowd.

I used to be incredibly shy and refereeing did absolute wonders for my confidence and it's also a great way to keep fit and to stay involved in football if playing isn't for you (or, if like me, you have two left feet :oops:).

Bite the bullet and do the course. You'll love it!

I'd echo a lot of what you see above. Refereeing is great for developing real life skills, managing people, confidence, dealing with conflict.,etc.

I've known refs who found it helpful in job searches when they ran into another ref in interviews, too. But even if you don't have that direct experience, having it on your resume as an interest gives you something to talk about--and the opportunity to explain why reffing has given you the skills that will make you and effective employee.

And last, it's a more fun way to get exercise than most!

I’m now 20 and my only regret is not starting earlier. Genuinely. I loved playing and had some of my favourite memories playing, but I wish I had started when I was 16, straight after I finished playing.

I’m also really shy and quiet, but, like playing, I’m a completely different person on the pitch. It’s the best thing I’ve done for years and there’s a genuine pathway to get to the higher levels. When I played, I was decent and got scouted a couple of times, but in reality, I was never going to make it very far once I got past 16. Refereeing has opened my eyes and made me realise that I can get to the levels of the game that I wouldn’t have been able to reach as a player.

If you don’t like it, at least you’ve tried! In my opinion, if you keep putting it off and do it in a few years, you’ll only wish you did it earlier :)

Thanks everyone. I've emailed what I think is my local FA here. Now to hope that every course hasn't been cancelled due to COVID! Does anyone know if they have been?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I've emailed what I think is my local FA here. Now to hope that every course hasn't been cancelled due to COVID! Does anyone know if they have been?
Most counties have restarted courses (I have just come in from tutoring in Hampshire on one of five courses being run this week) Most have a list of people already registered for courses, and the courses are limited in numbers attending as we have to practise social distancing during the courses.
Birmingham is indeed the local FA for Coventry.
Enjoy the course and enjoy refereeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back