A&H

Inaugural Meeting of the UEFA Board

The Referee Store
Aye, just keep making tweaks.... that'll clear up any doubt once and for all about HB for Referees and Players
Tail wagging the dog always works

I quite like the handball suggestions. Until recently it wasn't penalised if it deflected off your own body, or an opponent close to you, and I never really understood why they changed this. And whilst not part of law, the UEFA directive that any handling of a shot on target must be a caution is ridiculous, leads to cautions like Bruno Fernandes' in the first leg of the recent UEFA tie.

And whilst not part of law, the UEFA directive that any handling of a shot on target must be a caution is ridiculous, leads to cautions like Bruno Fernandes' in the first leg of the recent UEFA tie.
Stopping a promising attack via handling is a mandatory caution even in the penalty area.
While not all shots will be promising attacks it's far closer to following the law than the PGMO directive of not cautioning for SPA handball in the penalty area.

Stopping a promising attack via handling is a mandatory caution even in the penalty area.
While not all shots will be promising attacks it's far closer to following the law than the PGMO directive of not cautioning for SPA handball in the penalty area.
Level 4 Training Sessions this year frowning upon any notion of HB SPA for a shot on goal
It's all a load of nonsense. Directives, Coaching, Clarifications.... lots of conflicting noise, changing like sand dunes in the wind

Deliberate, distance (unexpected ball), hand movement (toward ball)... like it once was...... No regional interpretation, no more great ideas, just basics
But no
No wonder the football world has no clue what HB is (with terms like... 'unnatural position' which has absolutely nothing to do with 'unnatural position')

The problem is UEFA mandate it even when there is zero promising attack. Take the Fernandes one for example, that took a pretty much nothing attack and turned it into a more promising attack by giving a free kick closer to goal. Their view appears to be that if it is on target it has to be a caution, even if there are 5 players that it would hit before it got there, and that isn't supported at all by law.

I quite like the handball suggestions. Until recently it wasn't penalised if it deflected off your own body, or an opponent close to you, and I never really understood why they changed this.
Part of it is the problem of trying to legislate everything. But IMO it is conceptually appropriate if applied correctly. If deliberately put my arm away from my body to make myself bigger so the ball can't get through, I shouldn't be off the hook when that tactic is successful in blocking the ball just because it grazes my chest or an opponent before my arm blocks it. That has always been an easy handball call. I think the problem really lies with "biggering." The concept was a very useful tool in identifying disguised deliberate handling. But it has taken on a life of its own that really isn't tethered to the meaning of the words, as it kinda sorta means "we don't like where your arm was," not actually that what you were doing was unnatural. While I appreciate the goal of trying to get to greater consistency, I think we were better off 4 or 5 years ago before IFAB tried to fix things. All they have done is changed the nature of the controversy on calls while trying to strip judgment from refs. Sometimes ITOOTR really is the least bad option.

Level 4 Training Sessions this year frowning upon any notion of HB SPA for a shot on goal
It's all a load of nonsense. Directives, Coaching, Clarifications.... lots of conflicting noise, changing like sand dunes in the wind

Deliberate, distance (unexpected ball), hand movement (toward ball)... like it once was...... No regional interpretation, no more great ideas, just basics
But no
No wonder the football world has no clue what HB is (with terms like... 'unnatural position' which has absolutely nothing to do with 'unnatural position')
How about we just make it up as we go along? Seems a better idea tbh.... šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I said in another thread handball needed a rethink...
This wasn't what I had in mind.
Lots of very experienced football people on this board and I can't see any coherent improvement being suggested. Just further complication. šŸ¤¦
Just seen who attended the meeting. How on earth has Vieria ended up there (and some of the others on that list)?

And unsurprisingly, no referees being invited to it?

Back