A&H

Incident in game I had Wed night

andrew vardy

Vardy10
Level 6 Referee
Had a game Wed night, 4-3 thriller mostly well natured and not much for me to do. One incident which i keep going over however was the striker, from the eventual winning team. First 15 mins ball is up in air, him challenging the opposition defender only, he calls his name really loud, almost a scream. Wasn’t enough to put off the CB. I ran past had a word. He disagreed had never heard of this law. Second half, GK launches it toward him. Never winning it he tried a pointless jump, screaming as he did, all i heard was aa high pitched Ahhh. Nothing like his name which i now knew. Blew for indirect FK for unsporting behaviour. Called him over so i could explain and issue mandatory caution. He then threw a hissy fot, demanded i walked to him if i wanted to speak (i didnt move). Explained the reason he claimed he had never heard of this before. I asked his name for the caution he said his forename, so I politely asked his full name. He stamped his feet. Then stated his full name punctuated with obscenitys. Now doubting with the rule changes this year, weather i should of cautioned for USB and then again for his dissent?

The Referee Store
Now doubting with the rule changes this year, weather i should of cautioned for USB and then again for his dissent?
Which rule changes are you referring to?

Sounds like dissent to me even with last year's LOTG but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :)

The guy sounds like a pain in the butt to referee. One of those who loves to test their limits to see what they can get away with.

Agree with One. He sounds like a complete arse. Good call on the verbal distractions. You had given him fair warning. That was a pretty public display of dissent. Totally good if you'd given him a 2nd YC/RC. One of those YHTBT things where if you felt a stern word would correct the behavior was what was needed then good with that too. Just had to be addressed.

I've only had a couple players refuse to come talk to me. Last one I had (women's game) I told her, "I haven't decided what I'm doing with you yet. It would be in your best interest to come have a chat." Worked like a charm.

Anyone else have good lines/techniques for dealing with these?

I've only had a couple players refuse to come talk to me. Last one I had (women's game) I told her, "I haven't decided what I'm doing with you yet. It would be in your best interest to come have a chat." Worked like a charm.

Anyone else have good lines/techniques for dealing with these?
It all depends on the situation. I am always on my way when i need to talk to a player but I don't go all the way. Get them to do some of the work. It also helps when trying to isolate the player where you are moving towards an isolated area.

I had one, funny enough also a women's game. Loud dissent borderline OFFINABUS directed at me from about 20 meters. Once I blew the whistle it was obvious everyone is waiting to see what colour. When I asked her over she stood her ground. I said "what you do now will have an impact on which colour". She reluctantly walked over and by the time I met her half way she was calmer and said "you are right ref. I apologise." Yellow it was and I didn't have to say another word to her.

Along same lines, I have used something like, "is there any point in me giving you a second chance or is it better for us both if i just send you off now"

That said, the name thing, I understand the procedure involved and its best practise but I cant recall when I last took a name...

That said, the name thing, I understand the procedure involved and its best practise but I cant recall when I last took a name...
Which may well be fine North of the border. But In England, it's not just best practice but expected practice (for all except the top 1% of referees). So anyone who is just flashing the card is making problems for their colleagues because it confuses players as to what they should expect next time out ..

Which may well be fine North of the border. But In England, it's not just best practice but expected practice (for all except the top 1% of referees). So anyone who is just flashing the card is making problems for their colleagues because it confuses players as to what they should expect next time out ..

Oh here, its not considered fine either!

Which rule changes are you referring to?

Sounds like dissent to me even with last year's LOTG but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :)

The guy sounds like a pain in the butt to referee. One of those who loves to test their limits to see what they can get away with.
There was a clarification issued around simultaneous and sequential offences and that expectations were that if a player commits two cautionable offences in quick succession (i.e. before ylu had a chance to show 1st caution) then the old three card trick should swiftly follow.

Whilst not a law change as such I can see how the OP thinks it is.

When faced with an orange card offence, i might give the player the choice
Three weekends of shopping with the missus, or a tenner in the CFA kitty
It tends to work better than just preaching to them. I'm yet to have anyone opt for an early bath however... 😮

First 15 mins ball is up in air, him challenging the opposition defender only, he calls his name really loud, almost a scream. Wasn’t enough to put off the CB. I ran past had a word. He disagreed had never heard of this law.

What law are we referring too here? If he's challenging for the ball and calling (screaming) his name, what's the issue?

What law are we referring too here? If he's challenging for the ball and calling (screaming) his name, what's the issue?
If that's what he's doing then there's no offence. The point is that the OP didn't think he was calling his name in order to claim the ball - in the referee's opinion he was doing it in an unecessarily loud manner when he has no chance of getting the ball, in order to distract the opponent and cause a poor touch. If that's the case, I think a caution for USB is spot on.

If that's what he's doing then there's no offence. The point is that the OP didn't think he was calling his name in order to claim the ball - in the referee's opinion he was doing it in an unecessarily loud manner when he has no chance of getting the ball, in order to distract the opponent and cause a poor touch. If that's the case, I think a caution for USB is spot on.

I think I’ve misinterpreted ‘him challenging the opposition player only’ as those are the two players challenging for the ball.

Back