Doesnt matter one bit......

Attachments

• I0000VqAzqlLm5d0.jpg
    I0000VqAzqlLm5d0.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 37
  • referee_mathieson_feat.jpg
    referee_mathieson_feat.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 36
I play cricket and 2 weeks ago the umpire that gave me out LBW was about 4'10. The umpire was correct to give me out.

On many occasions I've been given out incorrectly.

The moral of the story. The umpires thought I was out, hence I was out, nothing else is relevant

The end.

I play cricket and 2 weeks ago the umpire that gave me out LBW was about 4'10. The umpire was correct to give me out.

On many occasions I've been given out incorrectly.

The moral of the story. The umpires thought I was out, hence I was out, nothing else is relevant

The end.
To be fair, at 4'10 he gets a better angle to judge LBW (height) than any of us lot!! :)

Hi guys! I've recently qualified as a ref. I'm only 20 and recently had my first game. As you can tell from the title I'm only 5'0 (152cm if you like). I'm also a guy to clear up confusion.
In my first game (U16s) there was a kid on one team who was around 6'7 I'd say. I called him over at one point for a word for a bad tackle and he was clearly taking the piss. My face just reached his chest. During the conversation he stood really close to me and as straight as he could to make the difference even bigger. Obviously he wasn't actually doing anything so I couldn't do anything. After the game I heard a few ''That ref is so short'' comments not meant for me to hear. Obviously there won't me someone that tall every
game but it got me thinking.
When I was on my course it didn't occur to me, but, considering I want to ref Open Age games in the future, I can only see it being more of a problem. I'll always be the shortest one there by quite a bit, so will it become hard for me to be taken seriously? Like if it was like that with 16 year olds, with fully grown men I can only imagine more dissent and people taking me less seriously.
Is this right? Am I already fighting a losing battle?
Cheers!

I'm female and only 4 ft. 9 and been refereeing a month now. I referee mainly lads games and prefer u13 upwards to Open age as I want to progress. I've also refereed girls games and don't mine either way. But the height and being female is a pain but be firm and as long as you are clear and concise with whistle and explanations u should be fine. Don't take no grap and you can put your arm up and say don't come into my personal space and move away 1 step if they proceed I'd warn and then maybe caution them. U are not there to be intimated.

It would probably limit your chances of making it to the professional level, but no one cares at the lower levels.

Don't see why height should be an issue. As long as you do your job and can Control situations and the game. I refereed a mens veterans game the other week they where all obviously 10 to 30 plus years older than me and taller I had no issues even stopped a fight kicking off.

Don't see why height should be an issue. As long as you do your job and can Control situations and the game. I refereed a mens veterans game the other week they where all obviously 10 to 30 plus years older than me and taller I had no issues even stopped a fight kicking off.
Stepping into fights isn't good unless you are very confident that you can make a safe contribution. Muggins here waded into a few to isolate the worst offenders, i even cloths-lined a U16 player who was wading in with fist poised.... stay safe, and if it royally kicks off get out of there!!

Why? Keith Stroud is very small and made it all the way to the Premier League.

Maybe it's more of an American thing. But, you don't really see that many below average height referees in the Champions League and at the World Cup.

Stepping into fights isn't good unless you are very confident that you can make a safe contribution. Muggins here waded into a few to isolate the worst offenders, i even cloths-lined a U16 player who was wading in with fist poised.... stay safe, and if it royally kicks off get out of there!!

Didn't say I stepped into any fight. Said I stopped a fight kicking off. Managed to control the situation before it got to fighting stage when it was clear they where both ready to start throwing punches. Recognition and prevent it if u can before it gets to far.

Why doesn't that surprise anybody on this forum?

You might have more to prove than someone at 6 foot etc.
Is that fair, indeed not, but, without wishing to bore on about the shirt tucked in thing, its the same senario, 2 refs, 1 promotion place, 1 is 6 foot, 1 is 5 foot and marks etc are the same. Sorry but 6 foot man is getting it everything , UNLESS you have something else in your game that makes you the better referee

Your mission is to find that something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back