A&H

Is this is what junior football has become?

I'm with smiley, no red card offence here. Inexperienced referee has made a mistake and it has blown up in his face. No excuse for what subsequently happened and they deserve a significant censure. It could so easily have been avoided, 'yellow number seven refused to give his name. He was tall with blond hair or whatever'. And that's only if the coach won't give you his name at the end.........

The Referee Store
He got the decision wrong ok , but that does not excuse the coaches behaviour , I’ve ran teams and had players sent off harshly but have never ever confronted the referee on the Fop especially a minor

He got the decision wrong ok , but that does not excuse the coaches behaviour , I’ve ran teams and had players sent off harshly but have never ever confronted the referee on the Fop especially a minor
Also would like to add that if those coaches behaved like that I could bet they have done similar before

Agreed, I was taught this right back in my introductory course. The expected procedure is that we should be asking for a player's name when issuing a card and not relying on team sheets. If he refuses to give it, you get the captain in and give him a chance to keep it at 11v11, if he doesn't help you out then it's second yellow, red and be prepared to abandon as a stubborn player who won't give his name may well refuse to leave the FOP as well.

I didn't think that was a particularly controversial procedure?

I was taught exactly this too.

That is not my view point on it. As much as fellow referees dont like to hear it though, and only if its my opinion and nobody elses, it once again reaffirms by belief that if you get things wrong, you leave yourself open to more stick

You cant go around simply sending folk off, (am guessing in this case, wrongly)

No chance am I saying its ok to abuse the guy, totally not. That is nowhere near the point am making

my point, again, is, I link referee's getting stick, to, referees's making incorrect calls.
And this incident reads as such to me.
Sorry Miley
I misunderstood your post.

I'm with smiley, no red card offence here. Inexperienced referee has made a mistake and it has blown up in his face. No excuse for what subsequently happened and they deserve a significant censure. It could so easily have been avoided, 'yellow number seven refused to give his name. He was tall with blond hair or whatever'. And that's only if the coach won't give you his name at the end.........
I'm going to disagree again I'm afraid. If the player refuses to give his name, it doesn't matter if you manage to get a name off his coach, you shouldn't be letting it go. That needs an second yellow, a red and an extraordinary report to clarify why you've entered "number 7" into whole game. Waving a yellow card and getting on with the game is incorrect in law and will destroy your match control.

If you ask a player his name and he refuses that is dissent by action, plain and simple. You can manage it, warn him the card will turn red, even get the captain in, but if he still refuses then it is bye bye.

Not taught that here. If he says Mickey Mouse, what do you do? have a stand up argument, or, just get on with it?

Its not dissent. It might not be great he is not complying but, he is under zero obligation to give you his name, please reference where in the LOTG this is stated??

its same as if he kicks ball away and you might want to ask him to go get it...and he says no.

Best practise maybe, but, its not dissent.

If it’s not dissent and the coaches get the player to appeal his red he will have it overturned won’t he 😉

If it’s not dissent and the coaches get the player to appeal his red he will have it overturned won’t he 😉

Of zero interest to a referee.

Absolutely nothing in law to say player must give name to referee, bar the sub procedure when named subs only are to enter

Last edited:
Ive warned Red many times if I suspect a wrong name or no name.... Cant ever think that one never eventually complied???

Not taught that here. If he says Mickey Mouse, what do you do? have a stand up argument, or, just get on with it?

Its not dissent. It might not be great he is not complying but, he is under zero obligation to give you his name, please reference where in the LOTG this is stated??

its same as if he kicks ball away and you might want to ask him to go get it...and he says no.

Best practise maybe, but, its not dissent.

If he gives you Mickey Mouse, or Donald Duck, or basically anything, that is different. County can sort that out, and sometimes people do have names with comedic values (until recently I worked with someone with a surname of Yerwanker, and currently someone with a surname of W@nkheed which greatly amuses my Scottish colleagues).

But refusing to give a name is totally different. How can that not be dissent, he is dissenting against your direct request for his name?

EDIT: Had to change the second name as the profanity checker blanked it even though it didn't the first name. Who knows ... :)

I thought i was done with this thread but the temptation is too much :)

How often do you read in an article that a player was sent off for a 'reckless' challenge. We all know you can't send a player off for reckless challenge. This being common though we know it must have been for EF and not critise the ref for sending some off for a reckless challenge.

Same deal (but not as common), many commentators/jurnos reports a second yellow send off as a send off for the second offence only. For example XY was send off for taking his shirt off for goal celebration.

Why is everyone happy to take this guy's description of events as gospel? Does it sound like his interest is in protecting the referee? Does it sound like he has any other interest but to make himself look good? In what world do you have an article about referee abuse and the picture to go with it is a huge picture of the chairman of the league in suit and tie?

Rant over.

Wow! Unfortunately also a yes from halfway across the globe. And you wonder why we have such a referee shortage worldwide and why I take the matter seriously when anyone does this kind of stuff to any of our junior referees. The coaches lack training in my neck of the woods and the ones that are the worst do not truly care about the kids besides winning. I once had a coach yelling at his kids to keep the shut out in a U10 match that did not mean anything, it was 8 to 0, literally yelling at his kids to preserve the shut out! And we have the same thing here, 4 coaches screaming at the 7 players on the field. One time a coach blew up on my own daughter when she made the correct thrown in call at the midfield line during a U12 girls match. I mean the balls! I was all over his ass, he continued to argue with me after I cautioned him and abruptly was sent off to the disgrace of his team. What a mess some matches are and the discipline is a joke most of the time. I could go on and on, the list is endless but on a good note. The times when I am thanked profusely by one player, one coach, or when I walk onto the pitch and the kids beam and tell me they are so glad I am there referee today, more than makes up for the negative ones. I hope this referee comes back and has the support of his fellow referees!. Hats off young man for finishing this game!

Wow! Unfortunately also a yes from halfway across the globe. And you wonder why we have such a referee shortage worldwide and why I take the matter seriously when anyone does this kind of stuff to any of our junior referees. The coaches lack training in my neck of the woods and the ones that are the worst do not truly care about the kids besides winning. I once had a coach yelling at his kids to keep the shut out in a U10 match that did not mean anything, it was 8 to 0, literally yelling at his kids to preserve the shut out! And we have the same thing here, 4 coaches screaming at the 7 players on the field. One time a coach blew up on my own daughter when she made the correct thrown in call at the midfield line during a U12 girls match. I mean the balls! I was all over his ass, he continued to argue with me after I cautioned him and abruptly was sent off to the disgrace of his team. What a mess some matches are and the discipline is a joke most of the time. I could go on and on, the list is endless but on a good note. The times when I am thanked profusely by one player, one coach, or when I walk onto the pitch and the kids beam and tell me they are so glad I am there referee today, more than makes up for the negative ones. I hope this referee comes back and has the support of his fellow referees!. Hats off young man for finishing this game!

I think the general consensus is, wrong for finishing, and am in that camp.
By continuing, you are making light of the situation.
By walking away, you are saying, nope, too far

Back