A&H

It'll be the refs fault

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
This was a comment made at my place of work (I manage a bookies) before the old firm derby.

Rangers fans saying, 2 hours before kick off, whatever the reason the ref will have a shocker, it'll be his fault. Definitely be a red and a penalty if he can help it.

This is before a ball can be kicked. They're blaming the ref.
What chance do we have.

The Referee Store
This was a comment made at my place of work (I manage a bookies) before the old firm derby.

Rangers fans saying, 2 hours before kick off, whatever the reason the ref will have a shocker, it'll be his fault. Definitely be a red and a penalty if he can help it.

What chance do we have.
Exactly. We don't at times. Until that attitude in the game changes we'll keep losing referees

What chance do we have.
As a bookies can you answer this for me.

The company i use for my football bets pays out if your "winning" team takes a 2 goal advantage (2-0, 3-1, 4-2 etc).

If the game ends up in a draw or your team loses you still get paid out.

What is the incentive to do this? Why would they pay out when they don't have to?

I'm trying to understand the psyche in this.

thanks.

The company i use for my football bets pays out if your "winning" team takes a 2 goal advantage (2-0, 3-1, 4-2 etc).

What is the incentive to do this? Why would they pay out when they don't have to?

thanks.
They'll have worked out the promo brings in X more bets to their platform and it happens so infrequently (in comparison to ALL the games they take bets on) that after they have paid out they are still in the black.

As an example if they didn't do that promo, you might choose to lose your money elsewhere

That and the bet just changes to Team to win OR take a 2 goal lead. You're essentially betting on 2 possible outcomes.

Believe @Big Cat can provide authority on bookies, not that he'll give any of their secrets away of course.

"Of those, a staggering 2,481 ended up winning the fixture, with only 212 ending in draws and 73 with defeats.

Therefore, 90 per cent of teams that gain a two-goal lead win the game, 7.4 per cent draw and only 2.6 per cent suffer defeat."

thanks.
They pay out under certain circumstances (like you stated) because their odds factor in that risk and their odds are therefore inferior to those odds available via competitors (who do not pay out under those circumstances). You get nothing for nothing in life
There's likely to be maximum stakes involved and the promotions are really just soundbites that appear better than they really are

Just bear in mind to win odds are normally better than the 2 up early odds..

For example....

Real Madrid tonight, at home to Real Mallorca.
Skybet are offering 2/9 (1/4.5) to win, but it's 1/5 (worse by 0.5) to win with the 2 up scenario.

With Bet365 their normal match winner odds encorporate the 2 goal advantage payout I believe, however as said above, their pricing of the market will take in to account the risk factor involved and mean they still make a tidy profit - you never see a bookie on a bike...

It's the same as when companies like paddy power make a 'justice payout' for example paying out on a goal that was incorrectly disallowed or a high profile horse race where the favourite planted itself in the stalls.

It's just effectively paying for advertising. They know the cost of paying out on it, and they weigh it up against the good publicity it will get them.

Back