A&H

Just dropped my biggest clanger to date!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3014

& really starting to doubt myself!

Where do I start with tonight, league game div2 adult men’s half decent standard, for some reason struggled to put my authority on it early not sure why but I was being a little inconsistent, nothing of real note but unlike other weeks I just didn’t feel I was in full control the odd bit of back chat or questioning seemed to get to me a bit.

Anyway low and behold and I hang my head in Shame & im bracing myself for complete pelters which i fully deserve, free kick for hand ball on edge of box to attacking team, I set the wall I say to kicker on my whistle I get into position he steps up and puts it into the bottom corner lovely goal...

This is where it got interesting, the whole of defending team & I mean to a man scream no goal ref!!!! Handball is an indirect free kick!!! I mean all eleven men plus managers etc on sidelines are screaming for no goal..

I think to myself hold on a second this is a bit odd, one or two shouts but the whole team!! I’m thinking handball has gotta be direct but they got me thinking, we’re walking back towards centre circle & the protests are still going on, they really have got me thinking don’t ask my why they just did, wether it was because it was edge of the box & I had to count the wall out or what I just don’t know they had me & I doubted my decision, it’s now 2 mins of me on half way line pondering what to do, I write this now & smile because it’s so ridiculous but I had to be sure I’d rather lose face & look a fool getting it right than blag it & get it wrong, I’m man enough and can eat my pride when I need to, so you can guess what I did next...

I run over to my bag on half way line & google it, within seconds I know I’m right award the goal & smile, I look at some of the main protagonists and say nice1, they don’t laugh or smile or look guilty which again made me think what the actual feck.

So goal is awarded and we play on, both sides were fine with it, I explained to manger and captain of the team that scored that I’m newish to the game & I’d rather look a knob than get it wrong.

So there you are I actually stopped the game to google a decision!!!!! Can you actually believe that!

It turns out they had played a cup final last week & there was a massive flashpoint in the game to do with an indirect free kick being touched by the keeper and scored, hand on heart they swore it wasn’t a con & im inclined to believe them trust me you had to be there to see it for yourself.

I’m embarrassed ashamed slightly upset about the incident tbh, even so the next free kick I gave in the game I shouted loudly DIRECT FREE KICK FELLAS!! It got a chuckle from both sides, I’m human I showed a human side to me making my decision & in a funny sort of way it won me over with the players & they kinda respected a referee that had just made himself look utterly clueless, maybe it’s because we got the right decision in the end & I ate my pride in doing it.

I’m starting to build a very nice portfolio of these clangers, not proud of it & have got a lot of revision to do over the summer, there are also other aspects of my game tonight that need serious attention I will post in due course regarding those but tonight I’ll just leave that with you.

Struggling to laugh this one off at the moment tbh.

I JUST GOOGLED HANDBALL DURING A MATCH...:eek:

The Referee Store
Well done for getting the right decision but can’t help thinking that it’s one of those ones that basic knowledge of the LOTG would cover...

Reactions: one
Well done for getting the right decision but can’t help thinking that it’s one of those ones that basic knowledge of the LOTG would cover...

Don’t I just know it, inexcusable really.

The bit that is killing me is how I give handball free kicks all game long & when have I ever stuck my arm to signal it’s indirect.. NEVER!

Honestly it’s no excuse but had you of seen there reaction and doubted yourself for some strange reason like I did it might be a tiny bit understandable or maybe not :(

If HB in the box is a (DFK or pen) then why would one outside the box be IDFK??

Mixed signals can happen, wait till you drop a real one and send someone off on the back of his vile comments from protests!!! :poop:

It’s the google part that is haunting me, I mean seriously I can’t believe i actually did that.

Just go to the Doctors and tell him you've got a bad case of Nomophobia....... He may have to Google what that is but i'm sure he'll agree with the prognosis!! :angel:

HAha....this is brilliant.

I still remember my first handball in the box. I stood there thinking....wait, is this DFK or IFK?
Good thing one of the players reminded me it's DFK/PK. We'll just gloss over the fact that this was an U/10 player;)

Hang on a minute. You had doubts in your decision and went to your assistant referee and asked for his/her help. What's wrong with that?,,😁

In all seriousness I think your issue is lack of confidence in your decision due to inexperience (at least on this occasion ). That will be fixed in time. This is not that big of an issue. Get over it.😀

And in next weeks show, we quickly play back the incident on Big Petes Iphone and boom, VAR hits grass roots...l

& really starting to doubt myself!
Anyway low and behold and I hang my head in Shame & im bracing myself for complete pelters which i fully deserve, free kick for hand ball on edge of box to attacking team, I set the wall I say to kicker on my whistle I get into position he steps up and puts it into the bottom corner lovely goal...

I may be misreading your original post, but did you actually blow the whistle? It reads to me as though you didn't, and this would go some way to explaining the appeal for an indirect free kick (unless they really were DAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back