A&H

Kids And Wearing Spectacles (Again!!)

Kes

I'll Decide ...
We've discussed this subject on more than one occasion on here before I know.

Most of us are of the opinion that only sports glasses or goggles intended for use in contact sport are permissible, even though it's not enshrined as such within the wording of Law 4.

I rarely do kid's games but was asked to step in as a favour for a mate at an U14s game yesterday since he knows I'm all DBS'd up and and know my onions.

This raised it's head around 20 mins before KO when I noticed "little Johnny" from the away team wearing what were clearly just a normal pair of glasses during his teams warm-up kick-about. I of course insisted to his coach that No 5 couldn't play with them on - end of story. I got the usual response of "it's never been a problem for other referees etc. I stood my ground (as you do) and effectively ruined Johnny's day.

The coach of the other (home) team contacted me yesterday evening to tell me he'd had an e mail from the League Secretary querying what the logic was behind my action (clearly the away coach wasn't happy). He was actually with me on this and understood my stance but wanted clarification from me before he responded to the e mail.

I'm aware that there is FA "guidance" on this out there somewhere (cos I've read it) that "encourages tolerance" (whatever that means?) regarding the issue of wearing spectacles where grassroots youth football is concerned but my question is this:

If there is such ambiguity around this issue that it requires "guidance" or is left to the discretion of the referee on the day - is it not time that this was included in the next revision of the LOTG so as to give clear direction on what is and isn't acceptable under Law 4? Or do we/the FA just wait until some kid is seriously injured/blinded during a game wearing non-sports glasses before then having a knee-jerk quick addition to cover it and referees?

Neither the provisions of Law 5 (The Referee and their responsibilities) nor the omission of the word "glasses/spectacles" within Law 4 will be any good to a referee in a court of law, nor will they help the kid or adult who has been injured.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Leaving a comment here purely so I can see what others say. It is only youth football I do and have always wondered this. Nobody wants to ruin a kids day and I’m some parents may not be able to afford sports glasses.

In the US, typically, at youth levels any glasses are permitted (well, OK, there could be limits out there somewhere . . .). Sports glasses are preferred. (In the US, I also believe that they won't sell youths glasses made of glass.) The idea being, roughly, that it is safer for a kid that needs them to see to where them than to try to play without them. Yes, it's possible for a kid to get hit in the face or two kids to collide, but its still accepted. This applies to prescription glasses only, not to a kid who just wants to wear sunglasses.

Can players wear spectacles or goggles when playing football?

Flying footballs and close physical contact make football a moderate risk sport for eye injuries. Spectacles or goggles may provide protection from injury and can also be worn with those who need to wear prescription lenses.

Polycarbonate Lenses: This is the most important property of all protective spectacles or goggles. Good polycarbonate is virtually unbreakable, and will sustain the impact of a ball or finger.

Sports Band: an elasticised band and not temple pieces should secure the frame. Players must have something that will be secured tight to the head so that the spectacles or goggles won't fall off. A frame with temples will not hold tight enough and a jab from a finger could lift the frame off and potentially damage the eye.

Although sports eyewear is intended to offer the best protection available, there is always the possibility that the wearer may sustain an eye or facial injury due to severe impact or because of the nature of the athletic activity. Referees should ensure that if a request has been made to wear glasses/goggles, that they must not be a danger to himself or to any other player.

Children and grassroots football: Whilst The FA recommends Polycarbonate lenses we recognise this may be an issue for children playing in grassroots football. Therefore we encourage referees officiating in grassroots youth football to be tolerant over glasses. However the individual referee has to show concern for all those playing in that game and if s/he feels there is something dangerous in the glasses i.e. sharp edges, etc, then in order to protect players and also the wearer him/herself s/he has the authority to say the glasses can’t be worn.

This happens all too frequently and unbelievably not only in youth football. I refereed a county first division ladies game last season and noticed the away goalkeeper warming up wearing standard prescription glasses. Whilst I appreciate for the most part now all spectacles have polycarbonate lenses, they had no safety strap and I felt they were not only a safety hazard to the player they are also a safety issue to the opposition. I could not believe that anyone would see it acceptable to wear anything other than contact lenses or, if unable to for whatever reason, sports glasses made for the purpose. I discussed this with the coach and advised that I could not let her play and had the standard line that I was the only referee that had ever stopped her playing in them and then went on to receive a host of abuse for the rest of the afternoon and after the game. I took this matter up with my county FA and the response was rather vague.
I also had the same situation in a mens junior county cup game where the centre half also saw it as acceptable to wear 'Buddy Holly' style glasses.

I believe, as referees, our job is already difficult but having to police this to the extent we have to would be made that much easier if there was an unequivocal statement from the FA or as Kes has suggested, specific reference to glasses/ spectacles in the laws of the game.

My question has always been where would we stand as referees if we allowed somebody at any level to play in non-sports glasses and either they damaged their own eye site or injured an opponent in terms of insurance. We surely would not be covered by our FA insurance if they decided to sue us if we have allowed it in the first place. The same can be said of allowing tape on jewellery on nose and ear piercings or wedding rings for that matter. Difficult to police when it is being allowed in the Prem but would we be covered if any damage were to happen during a game if it has been allowed.

Another question I debated recently was that of wearing shin pads. Whist this is listed in the LOTG as compulsory equipment and must be made of suitable material and covered by the socks, they are only offering protection if they are worn correctly in the correct position. I can never understand why players feel the need to have their socks rolled down with the shin pads in a position that renders them as much use as a 'chocolate fireguard'. I have always felt that if it is the referees responsibility for us to police the wearing of shin pads it must also be the referees responsibility to make sure they are worn correctly the correct position!

Can players wear spectacles or goggles when playing football?

Flying footballs and close physical contact make football a moderate risk sport for eye injuries. Spectacles or goggles may provide protection from injury and can also be worn with those who need to wear prescription lenses.

Polycarbonate Lenses: This is the most important property of all protective spectacles or goggles. Good polycarbonate is virtually unbreakable, and will sustain the impact of a ball or finger.

Sports Band: an elasticised band and not temple pieces should secure the frame. Players must have something that will be secured tight to the head so that the spectacles or goggles won't fall off. A frame with temples will not hold tight enough and a jab from a finger could lift the frame off and potentially damage the eye.

Although sports eyewear is intended to offer the best protection available, there is always the possibility that the wearer may sustain an eye or facial injury due to severe impact or because of the nature of the athletic activity. Referees should ensure that if a request has been made to wear glasses/goggles, that they must not be a danger to himself or to any other player.

Children and grassroots football: Whilst The FA recommends Polycarbonate lenses we recognise this may be an issue for children playing in grassroots football. Therefore we encourage referees officiating in grassroots youth football to be tolerant over glasses. However the individual referee has to show concern for all those playing in that game and if s/he feels there is something dangerous in the glasses i.e. sharp edges, etc, then in order to protect players and also the wearer him/herself s/he has the authority to say the glasses can’t be worn.

That is the guidance I've I've previously read @JamesL- thank you.

On closer inspection, my belief is that the glasses referred to in it are the designated polycarbonate "safe" glasses and that it further clarifies that where youth football is concerned, those are potentially dangerous too?

A bit of a kop-out though, stating all that guff to cover their own arse and then effectively hanging referees out to dry by saying "but at the end of the day it's up to the referee to decide!!". 🙄🤔

so you let little johnnie play wearing ordinary glasses because you dont want to be mr nasty referee
then the little fella takes a full volly straght in the face, a piece of broken glass is embed in the eye causing
blindness .do you still be a nice guy and let him play wearing real glasses hmmm ,

so you let little johnnie play wearing ordinary glasses because you dont want to be mr nasty referee
then the little fella takes a full volly straght in the face, a piece of broken glass is embed in the eye causing
blindness .do you still be a nice guy and let him play wearing real glasses hmmm ,

I'm not sure many glasses have actual glass in them these days mate, but that's not to say that damage to the nose, eye socket or the face in general couldn't occur in the obvious circumstances you describe.
Perhaps more pertinent to your post content is the sentiment displayed which is surely something more applicable to "Little Johnny's" parents or even his coach rather than a referee. Would you let your kid play football with a normal pair of specs perched atop their nose?

Am I correct in saying that Cheshire FA added the statement to their site which was a consequence of a youth player actually losing their site in a game from wearing glasses in the county?

Bit spooky this, not had glasses in a game for a couple of years then this last week had 2 U18's games and both games had a player with bog standard glasses. Asked the players to remove and got that standard response, no referee has ever pulled me up for glasses (who are these referees and why do we never see them?). They did remove the glasses and played a great game without them.

I'm more than happy to blankly say 'no' to glasses even if it does allegedly ruin their day.

In my area the youth football and referee associations have worked well to control the wearing (or non wearing) of glasses in youth football. The local youth association has made it very clear to teams that standard prescription glasses are not allowed. Only sports glasses are allowed and these must have been seen and approved by a designated member of the referee association after which the said member will issue the player with a letter stating that the glasses are acceptable. The player should present the letter to the match referee during equipment checks. Sounds complicated but it works well - I've never had a player wanting to wear standard glasses and never had a player with sports glasses who wasn't able to produce a letter of acceptance.

On a similar subject there has been a noted increase in young players wearing hearing aids and the associations are working to implement a similar system for such devices too.

And what about us refs who actually wear (normal) glasses to officiate?

Not sure it's easy to sell the "I can but he can't" argument with little Johnny's coach.

I've got four of my own kids. I don't think I have the capacity to parent anyone else's, so I'd have a serious word and let it go

Like I said earlier, it comes down to vagueness of Law 4 where this issue is concerned. Law 4 doesn't mention glasses/spectacles per se and so it's "make it up as you go along" time for referees, and coaches. Law 4 doesn't mention catheters or colostomy bags either but I doubt we'd see a player trying to get through a match with one attached, least ways a coach or parent insisting that they need it to play!! :rolleyes:

My point was (and still is) that the wearing (or not) of standard prescription spectacles should be covered in Law 4 to avoid ambiguity, exactly as it mentions earrings, bracelets, jewellery etc. It's a no brainer. :wtf:

Not sure it's easy to sell the "I can but he can't" argument with little Johnny's coach.

Correct. It's not mentioned in Law 5 either which kind of adds weight to my overall point.

I personally and in my opinion don’t think referees should be wearing glasses to officiate. Same rules to follow as the players for me of course minus shin guards

I personally and in my opinion don’t think referees should be wearing glasses to officiate. Same rules to follow as the players for me of course minus shin guards

And why should referees follow the same rules? Are you taking off your watch, too? I think this is a grossly overused mantra.

While I agree it is better for refs who need vision help to wear contacts (which is what you see at the top levels--usually the same with players, too), I think it is absurd to say no one can ref if they need to wear spectacles (not everyone can use contacts). While it makes sense to say it is better for players to wear sports goggles if they need them to see, the same doesn't apply to referees who are not engaged in a contact sport while they officiate and are not using their head on the ball. The referee choice on spectacles needs to be based on the role--the glasses that provide the best ability to see.

(Personally, I need glasses. My eyes cannot tolerate contacts on a full time basis. But I almost always wear my contacts to officiate. In high pollen season, I'm not always able to wear them.)

I am the father of a boy with one eye. I never, ever let kids wear normal glasses. If there are any complaints I tell them my son only has one working eye and that there is literally nothing they can say or do that will persuade me that playing football is worth risking their child's eyesight. I mean it, too.

If you think you can't afford sports glasses consider what you would pay to give you child their sight back if they lost it. If the answer is less than the cost of proper glasses don't let them play football.

Back