A&H

Leeds Equalizer

But your point made no optical sense. Can you reference this new physics enlightenment?
His point was clear -- there was discussion surrounding the question (at a quick live view) as to whether it obvious hit arm or if it hit the leg right beside the arm, and @CapnBloodbeard clearly stated that when the ball is coming directly towards someone, that point of when it changes direction is tough to tell, and that's because we lose depth perception.

Having said that, based on your comments elsewhere, I'm not even sure why you're stating that this would be handling... because it's clear that his arm was there before the ball arrived, so not deliberate, and a good goal surely!

The Referee Store
Yep. And when the ball is travelling directly towards you then away it can be extremely difficult to tell at what point it actually changes direction

But with the arm alongside and lower than the knee, and some of the ball visible beyond the right of the player, it surely has to be clear that it can’t off his arm?

But with the arm alongside and lower than the knee, and some of the ball visible beyond the right of the player, it surely has to be clear that it can’t off his arm?
Along a vertical plane, the ball passes both the hand and knee, fairly close to each other. When you're looking directly into the path of the ball it can be very difficult to tell at what point it actually changes direction.

View attachment 2629
Not that close really!! Whichever way you look at it!!
A still image is completely different to the real thing. Watch the video again, his knee comes up and arm comes down, they both meet almost perfectly at the ball. You could say it's clear that the hand moves to the ball, but if it did come off his knee, you couldn't penalise for that. Add in the fact the assistant has a view from behind and doesn't get to see the trajectory of the ball etc. If you are the assistant there you might think 'hold on, did he just put his arm down to the ball there?' but you can't guess and I think you would do well to be 100% sure in this instance. The assistant may well have smelled something fishy but not been sure enough to stick the flag in the air and risk denying a good goal.

A still image is completely different to the real thing. Watch the video again, his knee comes up and arm comes down, they both meet almost perfectly at the ball. You could say it's clear that the hand moves to the ball, but if it did come off his knee, you couldn't penalise for that. Add in the fact the assistant has a view from behind and doesn't get to see the trajectory of the ball etc. If you are the assistant there you might think 'hold on, did he just put his arm down to the ball there?' but you can't guess and I think you would do well to be 100% sure in this instance. The assistant may well have smelled something fishy but not been sure enough to stick the flag in the air and risk denying a good goal.
You're right about one thing. We can't guess. I had a 'ball over the goal line?' scenario yesterday. Gut feeling is that it was clearly over, but I couldn't see the line and the CAR went missing. I just waved and legged it up from where I couldn't hear the ensuing dissent!!
It was forgivable for officials to miss this Leeds HB, but it can't be described as anything other than that, regardless of what the knee was doing

You're right about one thing. We can't guess. I had a 'ball over the goal line?' scenario yesterday. Gut feeling is that it was clearly over, but I couldn't see the line and the CAR went missing. I just waved and legged it up from where I couldn't hear the ensuing dissent!!
It was forgivable for officials to miss this Leeds HB, but it can't be described as anything other than that, regardless of what the knee was doing
I had a ball over/not over too, gave it after I saw the keeper claw it back from over the line. Only 1 player from the defending side protested. Pretty much sold my decision for me. I just said "Look at your teammates, they all know it was over too". Keeper was disinterested which is how I really know I was right!

I had a ball over/not over too, gave it after I saw the keeper claw it back from over the line. Only 1 player from the defending side protested. Pretty much sold my decision for me. I just said "Look at your teammates, they all know it was over too". Keeper was disinterested which is how I really know I was right!
I was a bit disheartened. If i'd been 7 or 8 yards closer, I'd have been able to see the line
This is the massive downside of being persuaded to do two games in a day. I was tired and it 'probably' cost a team two points
I have always felt that you can't give two games your best

I was a bit disheartened. If i'd been 7 or 8 yards closer, I'd have been able to see the line
This is the massive downside of being persuaded to do two games in a day. I was tired and it 'probably' cost a team two points
I have always felt that you can't give two games your best
Besides double headers, I have never and will never do 2 games in a day. 1 game is physically and mentally draining enough for my liking, as much as I enjoy it.

TBF, after 3-4 games you looked down with the Wendies... Fair play on a fantastic run since....

Down to the loans in the main. Why Swansea let Rangel go is beyond me - he's very good, at this level.

Same for Cameron. Wells and Hemed I understand, they are like many players, good in the Championship - not good enough for the PL.

Jansson punched the ball from Dawsons grasp which caused momentary handbags and what looked like a slap / punch from Dawson!!!! Ref was looking other way....

Jansson punched the ball from Dawsons grasp which caused momentary handbags and what looked like a slap / punch from Dawson!!!! Ref was looking other way....
Doubt anything will happen tbh, although they’ll love to give Jansson another ban ;)

Back