A&H

Leeds v Villa

I don’t blame the ref whatsoever. Not a head injury and not a foul. Imo, Villa should’ve played until the whistle and moaned after
No mention of head injury in the LOTG
Not sure there's an easy answer to the problem of players down injured. Only changing the culture of cheating and feigning serious injury would help the referee in these situations
A bad day for LUFC. I think the lights on promotion have just gone out as these incidents tend to be defining

The Referee Store
Not a fan of Smith’s comments after; saying that refs need to do more to protect ‘these sort of talents’... not sure what he’s suggesting, sending off a player for a reckless tackle just because it’s a star man? Also, if he’s so worried about Grealish getting injured, he should force him to wear shin pads that aren’t made for children
Well when’s all said and done, how’s that summer tournament cancellation letter going on... you’ve also got to get saving up for some new finger nails.... 😢

I recall FIFA telling players not to kick it out at a WC a while back. That would fix the problem, but strangely the players contradicted their usual cheating behaviour and continued to kick it out. It's a very frequent disaster waiting to happen

No horse in this race.
It was a dismal dive.
No way should anyone be stopping play.

The ref was the problem here throughout though. Totally passive. If you are going to ’leave bodies’ on the field you can’t ignore them.

As soon as the guy goes down I want to see the ref clearly tell him to get up. As the passes flow I want to see the ref moving fast to show the game is on. When the mass con is on I want to see an active ref, not getting in between players, but circling, getting all the players in view, especially if there’s a third mass con on the ref’s diagonal in the corner.

In the end the ref looked weak. TBH so did the Villain that went down. So was the Leeds striker. So was JT. Weak. Pitiful. Sad day for football.

Biesla though, wow, what a season

There was a strange one at Bramall Lane on the weekend, Ipswich played the ball out of play for a throw in so an Ipswich player could be attended to, the referee then did an uncontested drop ball 40 yards from the injury and instructed the Ipswich defender to pass it back to his own keeper from the sideline. You could see him telling the defender what he was to do.... very strange....

Agree with retro suspension for Bamford. "I thought I saw something" from an official can't do it for a red card. What is the standard follow up action regarding an official (ref or AR) in such situations?
He's guessed on a red card, seen the action and Bamford go down and thought he could just put 2&2 together...

Would a player who stays down injured for 30 seconds or longer having to leave the FOP for at least 5 minutes work?

Genuine minor injuries will need roughly that amount of time to be sorted, major injuries is self explanatory, and fake injuries are obviously their own fault for play acting.

Discuss.

Amounts of times can be changed, they are guidelines. Essentially sin bin for injury.

Would a player who stays down injured for 30 seconds or longer having to leave the FOP for at least 5 minutes work?

Genuine minor injuries will need roughly that amount of time to be sorted, major injuries is self explanatory, and fake injuries are obviously their own fault for play acting.

Discuss.

Amounts of times can be changed, they are guidelines. Essentially sin bin for injury.
Why change law just because players want to mess about? Instruct clubs not to kick the ball out under any circumstances and let the referee make the decision.

Discuss.

Roughly? I’m not sure what that’s based on. Players would be livid if they are on the receiving end of a challenge which has hurt them and you tell them they have to spend 5 minutes on the sideline.

Roughly? I’m not sure what that’s based on. Players would be livid if they are on the receiving end of a challenge which has hurt them and you tell them they have to spend 5 minutes on the sideline.

An injury that's hurt would usually take 3/4/5 minutes to patch up /shake off, granted shaking off can be done in play, but then there's the risk of more injury.

As in the post, it was an idea, and I wanted people's thoughts, a discussion.

The angle you've brought up wasn't something I'd considered, it was more player welfare (whilst recovering from a minor knock) or cheating by staying down longer than necessary that I was thinking about.

Why change law just because players want to mess about? Instruct clubs not to kick the ball out under any circumstances and let the referee make the decision.
That's a much better idea than mine, but looks where that's got everyone today.

Discuss.

Works for me.....bit like the doctor assessing head injuries in rugby...

The simple resolution is play to the whistle and the Villa reactions are completely unnecessary. The referee isn’t obliged to stop plays and the Leeds players aren’t obliged to kick the ball out.

I’m also not willing to accept Bielsa is a great guy for doing what he did today. He would never have allowed Villa to walk that in had they still be in the automatic promotion chase, and if Villa were 1-0 down and within reach of automatic promotion, they wouldn’t kick it out for an injury either. Footballers are short minded hypocrites

Another reason the players probably didn’t want to play put the ball out was because the player injured himself after attempting to foul the Leeds player

All said and done, despite having an admirable manager, Leeds have had a very bad day at the office
They'd be well suited to the Premier League, given their player's behaviour, but I'd be very surprised if they get promotion after this performance. The players will wilt as they'll be embarrassed at dropping into the play-offs and by their pitiful reaction to doing so

Not good at all, but as players you should never stop until the ball is actually dead. Bielsa should probably get a lot of credit for ordering the uncontested goal, just as Jansson should be pilloried for being the only player in white to try and stop it.

The red card will be overturned and hopefully Bamford is charged.

Back