A&H

Level 4 Observations/Merit Tables

NE32

Level 4 Referee
Hi all,

The FA were suppose to be introducing an algorithm to balance observer marks carried over from the 2022/23 season (Jan-May) for the 2023 annual merit table.

Has anyone had an update on this? I’ve tried emailing to no joy.

All of my 5 observations were between Jan-May for the 2023 annual merit table (Surprisingly I’ve not been observed this season). I’m sitting in quite a good position for mid-season promotion, but worried that I’ll drop down when/if the algorithm comes in to effect and no doubt lowers the average mark (Considering the average mark this season is much lower than last).

The Referee Store
Hi all,

The FA were suppose to be introducing an algorithm to balance observer marks carried over from the 2022/23 season (Jan-May) for the 2023 annual merit table.

All of my 5 observations were between Jan-May for the 2023 annual merit table (Surprisingly I’ve not been observed this season). I’m sitting in quite a good position for mid-season promotion, but worried that I’ll drop down when/if the algorithm comes in to effect and no doubt lowers the average mark (Considering the average mark this season is much lower than last).
You're probably gonna need to contact the FA as I doubt any of us know the answer to your question. Which is a good question BTW. The FA have a problem now. Every time they want to change the marking scheme, they have a big headache on their hands because of overlapping promotion periods

Also, 5 observations in a 6 month period should not happen. I had the same thing in the second half of last year and then no observations in the first half of this year. That means I'm probably only gonna end up with 2 observations in this calendar year. In essence, this means there are not two promotion periods in practice and the idea is arguably a waste of time in my experience so far

Hi all,

I'm in the same boat - albeit I was only observed 3 times Jan-May, and still awaiting first observation this season, although this is the first I've heard of any algorithm being introduced.

Very frustrated that I haven't had an observation this season as I'm currently around 12th of 108 in my pool and I'm probably one more good observation away from being in consideration.

I think the difference is negligible.... The average @ L3 seasonal and Annual is within tenth of a mark, and when looking at the top performers that's unlikely to be of great significance.

It might be the difference between promotion and assessment for promotion but it's unlikely to move you into contention if not there already.

Update in our L4 group chat
“The data should be working as intended and we will be sending comms next week to this affect (albeit with a caveat to explain the annual MT will be weighted owing to the change in average marks across the calendar year)”

Update in our L4 group chat
“The data should be working as intended and we will be sending comms next week to this affect (albeit with a caveat to explain the annual MT will be weighted owing to the change in average marks across the calendar year)”
Any update on this, as I had someone else mention this last night

Email literally just sent, although it doesn't explain a massive amount about how it will work. But it does say it won't be massively different, which is probably fair because the difference in average mark is very minimal.

How random the email drops, yea makes sense. Our average mark last year was 0.4 higher than this season

Cliffs: Won't get the weighted table until early December

"Annual Merit Table Calculations

As some of you may have noticed, adaptations made to the observer scheme in the summer has resulted in the overall average mark across all levels from Level 2B – Level 4 (referees and assistant referees changing across all levels.

In order to ensure annual merit tables (a.k.a. calendar year merit tables) are reflection of the parameters in place at that time of the fixture, the merit tables across Level 2B, 3A, 3F, 4A (respective merit tables) and 4SAR will be weighted according to ranking for the period 1 January 2023 – 31 May 2023 & 1 July 2023 – 31 December 2023. This is instead of calculating the merit table as a single merit table across the whole calendar year.

The ranking will be calculated taking into consideration the number of games/observations received during the respective time period.

Please note, this weighted merit table not be reflected on your statistics tab on MOAS (although it is unlikely to be significantly different).

To confirm you are aware of your observer position in the respective merit tables towards the end of the marking period, we will be in contact with your weighted merit table on the respective lists in early December.

For Level 4SARs we are aware of a bug which is preventing your annual merit table from updating on your statistics page and our MOAS development team are looking to resolve this issue."

I'm in the same boat - albeit I was only observed 3 times Jan-May, and still awaiting first observation this season, although this is the first I've heard of any algorithm being introduced.

Very frustrated that I haven't had an observation this season as I'm currently around 12th of 108 in my pool and I'm probably one more good observation away from being in consideration.
You absolutely have to be observed at least once more this calendar year, otherwise you've been failed

I've had 14 step 5 games this year, but only 2 observations. I'm not that bothered as I'm bang average in the table, but I wouldn't accept being ignored in your situation, unless your Club Marks are in the bottom 30%

Last edited:
I only had one observation Jan - Sept. Incidentally was my biggest mark..
Will either work for me, or against me, or have little difference. Sure time will tell. Hoping for 1 more decent observed game in Dec. 🤞

You absolutely have to be observed at least once more this calendar year, otherwise you've been failed

I've had 14 step 5 games this year, but only 2 observations. I'm not that bothered as I'm bang average in the table, but I wouldn't be accept being ignored in your situation, unless your Club Marks are in the bottom 30%

At the start of the season I was on the borderline of the bottom 30%, then I did briefly drop into it, but I've worked hard on clubs and currently sit 62/111 on clubs for the calendar year. So hopefully with the way things are done now that part of it shouldn't hold me back!

I'm waiting for December appointments to come out, if I have an early match in December I will keep a close eye on observer appointments and if they start coming out and I still hear nothing I will be asking the question. I've had 7 middles this season so far so there has been opportunity!

So now December appointments are out. I have 2 middles, one on 9th December and one on 30th December.

It looks like observer appointments (or at least some) have been made for the 9th December and still nothing for me. Do I ask the question or wait and see for the 30th? And if so, who do I ask? I believe observer appointments are made using an algorithm now?

(Baring in mind I did 6 middles between January and May [although I didn't referee Jan or Feb] and I had 3 observations. The appointment on the 9th Dec will be my 8th since July with no observations.)

Last edited:
I only had one observation Jan - Sept. Incidentally was my biggest mark..
Will either work for me, or against me, or have little difference. Sure time will tell. Hoping for 1 more decent observed game in Dec. 🤞
Are you getting many games? Not seen your name an awful lot on fixtures?

So now December appointments are out. I have 2 middles, one on 9th December and one on 30th December.

It looks like observer appointments (or at least some) have been made for the 9th December and still nothing for me. Do I ask the question or wait and see for the 30th? And if so, who do I ask? I believe observer appointments are made using an algorithm now?

(Baring in mind I did 6 middles between January and May [although I didn't referee Jan or Feb] and I had 3 observations. The appointment on the 9th Dec will be my 8th since July with no observations.)
Observer appointments start with the later weeks (e. g. 23 and 30 December) then dates from the beginning of the month after the late ones are done.
At lunchtime today I got mine for the next three weeks, having already received a 23 December one last Friday.

Are you getting many games? Not seen your name an awful lot on fixtures?
Get 1 or 2 middles a month and 1 line on average.
Both my middles in November were postponed and received no lines.
I did a step 6 line at the weekend which was my only game since 21st October 😭!
Got 3 games appointed in Dec and inc NYD so hopefully the weather is kind to me... Need this cold snap to hang around to stave off the rain.

Update - had an observer appointed now for my December 30th game! Does anyone know where the cut off point is with regards mid season promotion marks?

Update - had an observer appointed now for my December 30th game! Does anyone know where the cut off point is with regards mid season promotion marks?
31st December.
They use the annual merit table which runs in line with the calendar year.
This will be counted in the annual table.

Back