A&H

Level 4 promotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is right. Academy refs are going to be monitored and observed far earlier in their careers and far more regularly as well. I had 2 years to develop bad habits before an observer turned up to tell me how I was doing and I'm now 4 years in and have still only had 6 observations with varying degrees of quality and insight.

I would not be surprised to find out that an academy ref with 4 years experience is far better than me with 4 years experience - and if we go back to 2 years ago just before my first observation, there would be no contest. Actual age is much less of a factor.

Did my 5 games in October, I have done various games, county vs County youth games, OA, Youth county cup and semis County schools games must be over 40 games this year, not one observation. I might be rubbish or excellent who knows. When I have had experienced NARs I always asked for feedback and haven't been told told I am doing anything wrong but as Greame says without observations you don't know how you are as a ref.

5 yellows in a cup final in a youth game and not a phonecall evan from my RDO about that.
There were only 7 in that years league and cup competition and I was responsible for 6. Was I card happy I don't think that I am but just prepared to use cautuons if needed.

The Referee Store
Did my 5 games in October, I have done various games, county vs County youth games, OA, Youth county cup and semis County schools games must be over 40 games this year, not one observation. I might be rubbish or excellent who knows. When I have had experienced NARs I always asked for feedback and haven't been told told I am doing anything wrong but as Greame says without observations you don't know how you are as a ref.

5 yellows in a cup final in a youth game and not a phonecall evan from my RDO about that.
There were only 7 in that years league and cup competition and I was responsible for 6. Was I card happy I don't think that I am but just prepared to use cautuons if needed.

Are you up for promotion? If you are not then you will not be observed, simple as that.

You should though have been assigned a mentor and he/she should be available to talk things through with and maybe attend a game or two.

As some people have eluded to previously I think there has been some unwarranted criticism and skepticism of younger referee's here. I see both sides of the argument and agree with both somewhat. There's no doubting that academy based referee's can be rushed through to 4. I, for example went through the much criticised 6-4 at 18 becoming a L4 at 19. I have now achieved L3 at 22 (having just missed out last season as well). Personally, at 18 I felt ready. Is this to say every 18 year old is ready? No. Does this mean because they weren't ready at 18 they aren't destined for the top? Of course not, people mature at different times.

However given the thirst to progress and the naivety of youth it is quite easy to fool yourself into thinking you're ready. For me, this is where observers at grassroots have to take a sterner stance to prevent talent from being pushed too early. Too many observers do not want to ruin a referees promotion hopes and essentially 'pass the buck' to the next guy by giving an acceptable mark. From the new 4s within my county, my opinion is that 50% are ready. Of the other 50%, firstly I hope they prove me wrong. Secondly, half of these aren't even young academy referees. 5-4, has become more about quantity rather than quality.

Age within refereeing has its advantages and disadvantages:

Young: More opportunity for coaching, Fitter as a general rule
Older: More life experience and maturity, more opportunity to play and make connections within football already

This is not to say a young referee cannot be mature, or that an older referee can't be well coached and extremely fit. Someone alluded to earlier that there is more opportunity to be coached at academy level. Undoubtedly true. However ,just because it is not handed on a plate doesn't mean its not available for the older guys. Join your RA, make friends with senior referees and ask them if they'd mind coming to a game of yours (no one will say no), run the line on your local Supply league. The opportunities for development are endless, you just need to grab them.

Are you up for promotion? If you are not then you will not be observed, simple as that.

You should though have been assigned a mentor and he/she should be available to talk things through with and maybe attend a game or two.
Never even been assigned a mentor but if I have an issue I am big enough to make a phonecall to my RDO or opther refs I have met

In terms of your point on experience, i think that would depend on what games are being done. Yes, an academy referee may have great positioning and looked very polished on the pitch. But can he manage mental Dave who plays centre back for the Red Lion? How will he deal with having 4 or 5 players crowding him when he has given a 91st minute penalty in a big game? Can he find the right words to diffuse situations? Do they know when to smile and have a laugh and when to switch it?

Experience on the pitch is everything and life experience plays a big part too, there is no rush. The best thing i ever did was have an extra year at level 5, it taught me so much and allowed to have a higher standard of games.

Wise words CheshireRef......

i'm on the line for a young ref tomorrow afternoon, and i will be watching him... see if i can learn a thing or two.
If its the case that younger fellas that are up for promotion are being regularly observed, and therefore regularly getting feedback and development points, it therefore follows that if they are actioning these points then they are further along the education curve than i am . Indirectly i can use that feedback that they have been receiving.

There is too little resource to support all referees. So those at the very start and those with ambitions to climb the ladder get the observers/mentors etc.

That is not to stop small groups of refs getting together to provide similar support for each other.

It will be a MOAS group booking again.. Look for an email soon I guess, as they will want to get an idea of numbers for each venue

Hi

So far I haven`t received anything on MOAS in regards of a fitness test. Does anyone have any information about it ? I mean venues ?

Thanks

And for those of us who dont have MOAS access yet? Or am I to assume we will get email invite for FT and MOAS on completion?

How is every1s training going? I have a foot problem, which I have nearly cured but has limited me to bike and cross trainer.

Played football for 1st time in about 7-8 weeks on Tuesday and fingers crossed came through it okay.

And for those of us who dont have MOAS access yet? Or am I to assume we will get email invite for FT and MOAS on completion?

How is every1s training going? I have a foot problem, which I have nearly cured but has limited me to bike and cross trainer.

Played football for 1st time in about 7-8 weeks on Tuesday and fingers crossed came through it okay.
I got a heel injury :S still able to train, but gosh I'm in pain. I'm having a check up on monday and we shall find out what they will say... TBH I don't want to delay the test...

Yeh thats mine too. Figured its plantar fasciitis.
I have been doing regular stretching exercises and using a tennis ball to deep massage. Compression sock and have bought insoles. And since have seen rapid improvement.

A word of advice - stop playing football. If you get suspended, you may have to make an embarrassing phone call

Its only 6 a side with my friends. Fa sanctioned but I have enough about me to not doing anything stupid enough to get suspended. I dont take it seriously enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back