A&H

Ligue 1 referee comms

The Referee Store
Ah, I saw this the other day and meant to post it. It is good, but I'm always super wary of approved and edited highlights of a referees performance being put out as if they're proof that broadcasting comms would solve everything.

Someone in the twitter thread I saw previously implied there was a penalty claim missed by the officials, which doesn't come up in this clip. If it's the match I think it is, stats suggest a 1-1 draw with one YC - what were the officials doing during those goals, what would a broadcast have heard while the yellow was given, were there any other yellows that maybe should have been given but weren't?

We need to see the rough with the smooth - one clip of "look how well the ref dealt with X" every 6 months doesn't give us enough data to really tell if this would work or not.

“We don’t always agree but as long as the exchange is respectful, we are OK.”
Love this!

He probably did miss that yellow though... 😅

I also agree with @GraemeS here. Overall some positive storytelling here (that really helps the rest of us learn how to potentially manage players) but it's not the whole story.

We saw similar with Jared Gillett when he was refereeing in Australia, always going to be good to see how top level referees speak with players. Interesting how he speaks with one of the non-French players in English, obviously as a FIFA referee he has to be fluent in English, but I'd never really realised that a French referee on a League 1 game would speak to players in anything other than French.

We saw similar with Jared Gillett when he was refereeing in Australia, always going to be good to see how top level referees speak with players. Interesting how he speaks with one of the non-French players in English, obviously as a FIFA referee he has to be fluent in English, but I'd never really realised that a French referee on a League 1 game would speak to players in anything other than French.
Thought the formal titles were a bit strange but guess that's a cultural thing.
Couldn't imagine our refs calling players Mr so and so

Thought the formal titles were a bit strange but guess that's a cultural thing.
Couldn't imagine our refs calling players Mr so and so
I do remember a bit of a fuss a few years ago in the PL when a ref was caught on camera calling one captain over by their first name and the other captain by just vaguely going "captain?", suggesting favouritism. The reality of course was that the away team captain had just been subbed off and he didn't know who had taken the armband, but why let facts get in the way of tribalism?

Back