A&H

Liverpool v Leeds

Ryanj91

Just out of interest, why wasn't the Leeds player sent off for DOGSO for the second penalty?

Last man, No attempt to play the ball whatsoever, trips and drags down Mane.

The Referee Store
Just out of interest, why wasn't the Leeds player sent off for DOGSO for the second penalty?

Last man, No attempt to play the ball whatsoever, trips and drags down Mane.

Haven't seen it but prob because 'last man' is not necessarily a send off DOGSO and not a consideration in law. 😊

Yeah I think that might go down to a bit of sympathy at the fact the penalty was to make it 3-0. Absolutely nothing to qualify as an attempt for the ball

Haven't seen it but prob because 'last man' is not necessarily a send off DOGSO and not a consideration in law. 😊
Center of penalty area. Just keeper to beat. No one near him. Taken out with no attempt to play the ball.

Thought it was yellow if there was an 'attempt'
Red if no attempt.

No yellow given for the handball blocking a cross for the first penalty. Stopped a promising attack so presumably a 'spirit of the game' directive for the PGMO not to caution when a penalty is awarded.

Center of penalty area. Just keeper to beat. No one near him. Taken out with no attempt to play the ball.

Red if no attempt.
Just seen it. I would put that down as "in the process of attempting to play the ball". You can see the defender actually trying to avoid contact after Mane cuts across. The law is really thee to make sure if you are deliberately fouling your opponent to deny him a chance, you don't get a reprieve. In this case its fairly clear he wasn't deliberately trying to foul him.

Just seen it. I would put that down as "in the process of attempting to play the ball". You can see the defender actually trying to avoid contact after Mane cuts across. The law is really thee to make sure if you are deliberately fouling your opponent to deny him a chance, you don't get a reprieve. In this case its fairly clear he wasn't deliberately trying to foul him.
We've seen reds for that before though. Assuming we're happy with it being DOGSO, the only thing that should stop that being red is if he's making a play on the ball, trying to pull out of the tackle is actually the opposite of what's required to downgrade. And running into the back of someone is not attempting to play the ball.

We've seen reds for that before though. Assuming we're happy with it being DOGSO, the only thing that should stop that being red is if he's making a play on the ball, trying to pull out of the tackle is actually the opposite of what's required to downgrade. And running into the back of someone is not attempting to play the ball.
I wont disagree with you much. But key here is "running into the back of someone". I would need to look at if this was done to disguise a foul or if the was no intent to run into the back of the attacker. If all intent is to go around the attacker and get to the ball and the trip happens because the attacker mover across the path, then that is going top favour a downgrade for me.

No yellow given for the handball blocking a cross for the first penalty. Stopped a promising attack so presumably a 'spirit of the game' directive for the PGMO not to caution when a penalty is awarded.

Just a pk for me, no card needee

Red if no attempt.

If the player had went down ( and play stopped) at the first foul outside the box, it be a fk and a red
There is enough in the defenders second act to count as an attempt. Just

If the player had went down ( and play stopped) at the first foul outside the box, it be a fk and a red
There is enough in the defenders second act to count as an attempt. Just
But isn't that because he has already fouled Mane? I still see no attempt whatsoever IMHO.

But isn't that because he has already fouled Mane? I still see no attempt whatsoever IMHO.

Well the foul outside the box is now null and void, as we know only a holding offence which starts outside, yet continues inside, is a pk.
So we focus fully on the foul inside the box, on a 1-10 scale of , attempt, its prob a 1, but enough.
I would understand a red if I saw it in the public park this weekend, I be open to a referee saying they did not class it as an attempt. Understanding it, different to agreeing with it

just enough there imo to be classed as attempt

I wont disagree with you much. But key here is "running into the back of someone". I would need to look at if this was done to disguise a foul or if the was no intent to run into the back of the attacker. If all intent is to go around the attacker and get to the ball and the trip happens because the attacker mover across the path, then that is going top favour a downgrade for me.
Video is here for anyone in the UK, incident in question starts at 1:05:

In my mind there is no point where the defender is in a position to make a challenge on the ball - he just simply doesn't get within a leg's reach of the ball at any point. The final contact that takes Mane down does come as the defender is attempting to pull out of the challenge, runs across the back of the attacker and catches his back leg (the replay from behind shows this clearly).

I actually wonder if it's gone to only yellow because Mane's touch goes direct to the keeper and so it's not been considered DOGSO? Although given the defender had hands all over the attacker as he's attempting to control the ball, that's still a pretty generous interpretation.

imo this is where the intention of the law doesnt reflect how it's written.

it's not a play on the ball, he's attempting not to make a challenge for it all but in doing so accidentally trips mane.

strictly in line with law i think it has to be red (if you think it's dogso) but i think the intention of the law (to punish upper body challenges in this situation) would be that this should be a yellow...

imo this is where the intention of the law doesnt reflect how it's written.

it's not a play on the ball, he's attempting not to make a challenge for it all but in doing so accidentally trips mane.

strictly in line with law i think it has to be red (if you think it's dogso) but i think the intention of the law (to punish upper body challenges in this situation) would be that this should be a yellow...
Agree with this completely, but as I said before, it's been interpreted strictly in line with the wording on multiple occasions in the past so this now feels like an outlier.

Also, I have to admit I feel less sympathy here than I have for others - he's got his hands all over the attacker for 10+ yards and only tries to pull out (and therefore make leg contact) once he reaches the PA. I'd feel much less bad about a red for this than I would for a number of other incidents I've seen.

Is it a DOGSO? Are the 4 criteria met?

Distance - yes
Direction - yes
Defender - yes
Control - question mark for me based on the touch before the leg is clipped and the position of the GK.

For me it feels like a red would be harsh here.

Is it a DOGSO? Are the 4 criteria met?

Distance - yes
Direction - yes
Defender - yes
Control - question mark for me based on the touch before the leg is clipped and the position of the GK.

For me it feels like a red would be harsh here.

Commentary team mentioned that VAR did not perceive this to be DOGSO due to the tackle taking place after Mane had lost control of the ball. I didn't see it at first but after watching it again, I feel they made a spot on decision.

Does anyone think this challenge was worthy of a penalty. Even as a Pool supporter I think we got lucky here and Alisson took out James with a clumsy lack of control.
1645701808872.png
Once again I can't find the actual clip - but Alisson went to take the kick and just when James went to rob him I think he gets caught by Alissons swing of his right foot.

Back