A&H

Luton vs QPR

The Referee Store
Maybe it curled out and back in? Or maybe he just panicked having had to try and run in an incredibly unnatural way to look behind him and getting hit. Hardly a major issue.

I actually dont mind the AR flagging, we dont have an AR signal for, the ball hit me. Maybe a shaky flag wavy signal would be better, akin to the freekick one
Hopefully the ar, ( with use of flag anyway) is trying to indicate, ball hit me

trying to put myself in the ar shoes, I def would not be signalling throw in direction.

That aside, regardless of what signal the AR gives, the ref, either by using his eyes, or with input via comms, has to step in and give orange the drop ball?

ref for me has to be restarting with drop ball

Maybe it curled out and back in? Or maybe he just panicked having had to try and run in an incredibly unnatural way to look behind him and getting hit. Hardly a major issue.
I think it's fairly clear that it didn't go out of play. The video is a little strange, being filmed from a screen distorts things a bit, but you can see that the ball is still heading towards the line as it lands.

This is surely not a difficult decision - the ball has hit a match official, stayed in play and possesion has changed (or at least, we have to assume that it did, since when the clip ends a QPR player is just about to collect the ball). It's a dropped ball.

Last edited:
I think it's fairly clear that it didn't go out of play. The video is a little strange, being filmed from a screen distorts things a bit, but you can see that the ball is still heading towards the line as it lands.

This is surely not a difficult decision - the ball has hit a match official, stayed in play and possesion has changed (or at least, we have to assume that it did, since when the clip ends a QPR player is just about to collect the ball). It's a dropped ball.
Yes, yes and yes. But as @GraemeS said, jut a panic decision which is hardly an issue. Certainly not compared to major KMI' missed and PL and being discussed.

Let's give the benefit of the doubt and hope that the AR is raising their flag vertically to alert the ref to stop the game and give a dropped ball.

Flagging in one direction for a DB is surely not in the book. I have every confidence our man was just sticking it straight up ;)

Yes, yes and yes. But as @GraemeS said, jut a panic decision which is hardly an issue. Certainly not compared to major KMI' missed and PL and being discussed.
Exactly, it's a nothing decision that I just can't bring myself to care about. Same as when players lose their mind over the exact position of a defensive throw - clearly just someone looking for an argument.

I don't think that Ian Cooper will have realised he was running on the pitch, and therefore has assumed that the ball must have gone out of play for it to have hit him like it did. It's a mistake, but a very minor one, especially in context of some of the clangers there have been this weekend.

Are we 100% certain the ball doesn't curl out and back in the camera angle does not prove that definitively.
That said, AR on pitch so if it doesn't its a dropped ball. I imagine that the line must have been a bit dodgy so was running a smidge forward to compensate.

The inicident isolated, is not disasterous.
The fun hapoens though in our game when we do that, and from the resulting incorrect throw, the ball ends up in the net.
This is why its important to get these wee things right.
If we do this, it leaves us to focus on the big important calls

Are we 100% certain the ball doesn't curl out and back in the camera angle does not prove that definitively.
That said, AR on pitch so if it doesn't its a dropped ball. I imagine that the line must have been a bit dodgy so was running a smidge forward to compensate.
It was at Kenilworth Road, there is hardly any distance between the dubouts and the touchline. Looks like he has had to run round Mark Warburton and never successfully got back off of the pitch.

Disappointed now. I was expecting something about the alleged punch and disallowed Luton goal I keep hearing about. (I’m working overseas so haven’t been able to follow too closely)

Back