A&H

Man City vs Chelsea

Jorik0907

Great example of what was discussed in a different thread: minute 70, Pulisic through on goal, gets fouled but advantage and barely misses an open net. No YC after the play though, should have been one

The Referee Store
And that's a red card for Fernandinho, hard to spot in real time but good use of VAR. Did de Bruyne get booked as well?

Weird how the ref seemed to play advantage city at first, looked very weird.

Again, no advantage SPA YC anymore (right?) unlesd it was for reckless holding?

Sorry, only started with 2019 laws here last month! Got confused.

Yes KDB got YC. But none in the Pulisic build up.

Sorry, only started with 2019 laws here last month! Got confused.

Yes KDB got YC. But none in the Pulisic build up.
Wasn't / am not sure either. Felt at least a yellow for USB was deserved for the cynical nature of that challenge in the Pulisic build-up. Good of the ref to go back and book De Bruyne in that mess there

Weird how the ref seemed to play advantage city at first, looked very weird.

Again, no advantage SPA YC anymore (right?) unlesd it was for reckless holding?

I'm guessing he played advantage to indicate that he has seen something or potentially seen something and as City had the ball and it could have been the "foul" on Fernandinho it was the only way he could signal. Also, if he'd had signalled advantage to Chelsea it would look weird as then why would you not just award a penalty there and then as City had the ball. Surely advantage to Chelsea would be a penalty and not City having the ball.

I'm guessing he played advantage to indicate that he has seen something or potentially seen something and as City had the ball and it could have been the "foul" on Fernandinho it was the only way he could signal. Also, if he'd had signalled advantage to Chelsea it would look weird as then why would you not just award a penalty there and then as City had the ball. Surely advantage to Chelsea would be a penalty and not City having the ball.
Hmm don’t really buy it. I think he lost it there;)

Oh wow, why's that? Would make sense to issue those cards after the play. Thought that was only from 20/21 onwards?
UEFA was pushing that from the 19/20 Laws. IFAB brought the Laws in line to match the majority implementation.

Shocked Atwell missed the HB in real time, it was a pretty obvious one and the VAR dug him out of a hole. Imagine if that would have cost LFC the title!!!

In 2014 a Chelsea breakaway goal against Liverpool gave Manchester City the title. Six seasons later a Chelsea breakaway goal against Manchester City hands Liverpool the title. Who says things don’t even themselves out in football?

Why did it say VAR was checking for a possible red card for the Rudiger challenge? Surely it would have been a penalty first and foremost. I think it said 'Checking penalty' rather than 'Checking red card' for Chelsea's second goal.

I know it's not a fan forum, but I can't help but give a shout out to my compatriot Christian Pulisic for an outstanding performance today for Chelsea. We Americans have to take these big-time performances from our countrymen when we can get them.

On the Rudiger challenge, I just don't see what else he could have done on that play. He got the ball (yes, I know that doesn't automatically negate a foul), and studs were reasonably down as he was outstretched. DeBruyne continued forward, and foot and leg met. I don't really know how to adequately explain it, but I just didn't think what Rudiger did was even careless. I'm willing to be talked out of my opinion, though.

Why City lost the title encapsulated in one game. Poor defending and missed chances, and relentless consistency by Liverpool. If the (original) thread title is allowed, I don't see a need to avoid the LiVARpool angle. It was an obvious penalty but I wonder how many earlier in the season thought this next one "came so close and fast that he couldn't get his hand out of the way".

ArnoldHandball-f6f3.png

"The Professional Game Match Officials (PGMO) confirmed later in the half that Alexander-Arnold’s arm was not in an unnatural position and there was a lack of reaction time, so it was not adjudged to be a handball."

Last edited:
Title has been changed. Some latitude is allowed in describing clubs, but let not be rude.

Whilst LiVARpool seem to have benefited tremendously from VAR this season it’s amazing how the smaller clubs seem to have been less lucky! How come this lauded system on its launch can throw out such anomalies??

Whilst LiVARpool seem to have benefited tremendously from VAR this season it’s amazing how the smaller clubs seem to have been less lucky! How come this lauded system on its launch can throw out such anomalies??

A horrible day for football, the only plus being I have tons of action pics with Andy Robertson from his Queens Park days, kids team to first team,
As close as I will get to the Premiership 🙁

Back