A&H

Man U v PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can just imagine mass hugs and adulation in the VARse shed over their unwanted involvement. (Clean version)

The commentator on 5 live missed it and I suppose billions on TV missed it too. Is this really what football expects?, I suspect No, what it does expect is for them to be giving the obvious ones like in the World Cup. Wrong decision wrongly applied...

The Referee Store
Even ex PL referees and heads of PGMOL can't agree with the decision.

What I find most ridiculous about the interpretations of the law is that after watching VAR, the referee can make a call to award the penalty or not and arguably be correct in law either way. Madness. It's over complicated now and it's to be further complicated next season. It needs an urgent revamp and simplification.

My understanding of instruction is that if you're deliberately jumping at the ball, you are responsible for keeping your arms out of the way and not using them to take up extra space. The deliberate action is flinging oneself in front of the ball that is going to be kicked. (Whether this would change with the silhouette concept that IFAB is introducing, I haven't a clue.)
You’re not responsible for keeping your arms out of the way at all. As long as you haven’t intentionally move your arms towards the ball, then it’s not handball

My Man Utd business partner has sent me loads of images and spiel saying it’s a stick on.... I shake my head that Peter Walton agrees with him!

Once it went to VAR it was always going to be given.

This really does us referees who are doing the Saturday and Sunday local leagues any favours at all, i give very few penalty handballs and not a chance in hell im giving that at my level.

VAR is a useful tool but cant help thinking its not being used correctly, i want it for offside as an offside is factual, its either on or off (99%) of the time where as situations like this is coming down to one mans opinion when its a 50-50 decision.

Ridiculous decision.

Never a penalty.

Another VARcical outcome.
But again, at least partly down to misapplication of the process. Step 1 of working out if VAR works is getting the VAR's to use it properly.

View from France, by a Londoner, with no Man Utd affiliaton! PENALTY

In France and probably all of Europe except England that is now a handball (especially once seen by VAR). Anyway, from the 1st June in will be officially! Sure the defender turns his back, but he knows he is putting his arm out in the direction of the ball, so just to be devil's advocate, that is a penalty all day!
Vive Brexit!!!!!!!:(;):)

You’re not responsible for keeping your arms out of the way at all. As long as you haven’t intentionally move your arms towards the ball, then it’s not handball
I think the interpretation is that he has moved his arms towards the ball. He has thrown his whole body in front of the ball with his arms away from his body. If he hadn't tried to block the ball his arm would not have been hit by the ball so it is something that he has done that has resulted in the handball and so could be argued that this is a deliberate action.

I would never give that as a handball in a thousand years but I am not a CL referee...

This HB discussion illustrates one aspect of why I think the overall standard of officiating in football is poor and inferior that of other sports

View from France, by a Londoner, with no Man Utd affiliaton! PENALTY

In France and probably all of Europe except England that is now a handball (especially once seen by VAR). Anyway, from the 1st June in will be officially! Sure the defender turns his back, but he knows he is putting his arm out in the direction of the ball, so just to be devil's advocate, that is a penalty all day!
Vive Brexit!!!!!!!:(;):)

So if a referee in France doesn't give this as an offence, would you say he is clearly wrong (or just he is wrong in my opinion)?

And to be clear, this is the position of the arm at the moment of contact. It was on its way towards his body.

1551965410307.png

I think the interpretation is that he has moved his arms towards the ball. He has thrown his whole body in front of the ball with his arms away from his body. If he hadn't tried to block the ball his arm would not have been hit by the ball so it is something that he has done that has resulted in the handball and so could be argued that this is a deliberate action.

I would never give that as a handball in a thousand years but I am not a CL referee...
He’s deliberately attempted to block the ball, but with his arm? I’m not so sure. If that were the case it would be further away from his body than it was. He’s seen a player about to take a shot and thrown himself at it. If anything, keeping your arms to your chest or right by your side would be more unnatural than what actually happened

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back