A&H

Managing being mobbed by players

Status
Not open for further replies.

one

RefChat Addict
Good tip I was given on how to manage being mobbed by player after a controversial decision. Its almost certain that the captain is there. Tell him I'm happy to talk to you but you have to get rid of the others. It works nine out of ten times. It also buys you a little time to decided what you tell the captain in a controlled fashion.

The Referee Store
Sharp blast of the whistle and "GO AWAY" has been surprisingly effective at dispersing the players for me. :)

Another tip I was taught is walk ‘through’ the players, loudly tell them not to follow you and if any do, caution the first who follows. Will quickly disperse the rest

Where applicable I will give them a chance, i.e. "I'll talk to the captain but I will start cautioning any other players still here after 5 seconds"

Of course you need to be willing to follow through with this, but normally after you've cautioned the first the rest will leave.

However, sometimes you don't need to go that far and firm, move away please will work.:shifty:

Where applicable I will give them a chance, i.e. "I'll talk to the captain but I will start cautioning any other players still here after 5 seconds"

Of course you need to be willing to follow through with this, but normally after you've cautioned the first the rest will leave.

However, sometimes you don't need to go that far and firm, move away please will work.:shifty:

With Sin bins this year, you have the 10 minute threat as well as the caution. Surrounding you could be dissent or AA against you.

With Sin bins this year, you have the 10 minute threat as well as the caution. Surrounding you could be dissent or AA against you.
I did think that after I posted, a 10 minute cool down would probably be more effective as it leaves the team down a player

One tip, if you are going to be the100% by the book referee and you try and impose something that may be correct in Law but you know will light a touch paper make sure that you 1, are correct 2, you’ve the balls to stand by your decision and potentially explain it to some confused players and maybe managers! Nothing worse that seeing a ref fall flat on his face with an incorrect call or interpretation and then lose a game discipline wise going forward. 3, Know your Laws cover to cover. They’re like the Irish Backstop!

Surely referees should always be 100% correct when applying the laws, with the exception of things which are in the referees opinion of course.

Surely referees should always be 100% correct when applying the laws, with the exception of things which are in the referees opinion of course.
Where ITOOTR is relevant, it is part of the law, so applying the laws 100% correctly should not have ITOOTR as an exception at all.

Where ITOOTR is relevant, it is part of the law, so applying the laws 100% correctly should not have ITOOTR as an exception at all.

What I mean I that there will be times when opinions will differ e.g. you might think a foul is careless, where as I think it is reckless.

But, we both know that the correct restart if the ball is in play is going to be a direct freekick, either from where the offence happened, the touch line closest to the offence (if it happened off the field of play), or a penalty.

My point was that at certain times there are situations when to keep your powder dry and let some things go that in other games you jump on it with some of the nerdier stuff. At that point it’s when you’ve got to have your eggs lined up!

My point was that at certain times there are situations when to keep your powder dry and let some things go that in other games you jump on it with some of the nerdier stuff. At that point it’s when you’ve got to have your eggs lined up!
I have on occasion, warned players in unclassified Saturday Leagues when they've transgressed some of the 'nerdier stuff', that they'd be cautioned for 'that' if they stepped up to the Senior County League and beyond. If I get marked down for such educational discretion in the coming season, so be it

While there are things we can manage, we certainly shouldn't be "letting stuff go".

I'm also not sure what you mean by "nerdier stuff"

While there are things we can manage, we certainly shouldn't be "letting stuff go".

I'm also not sure what you mean by "nerdier stuff"
Entering the RRA. That sort of thing!

Entering/Leaving the FOP being the most common issue

The RRA?

I've never had to caution for a player entering or leaving the FOP without permission.

Although I have given a couple players my express permission that if they needed their inhalers they could go off the pitch to get it, but had to let me know before they come back on.

The RRA?

I've never had to caution for a player entering or leaving the FOP without permission.

Although I have given a couple players my express permission that if they needed their inhalers they could go off the pitch to get it, but had to let me know before they come back on.
Referee Review Area! Which is where I have my half time cuppa or something a bit stronger if things aren't going well

The Referee Review Area only exists in matches where VAR is in use, and is where Off field reviews are carried out.

Therefore a player approaching you during halftime is not of itself a caution, so you aren't letting them off with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back