A&H

Manchester Marathon

RefereeX

Level 3 Referee
Entered this last night for multiple reasons. To raise money for a charity set up in the name of my friend's daughter who died at birth, for personal achievement and because I've given up on ever getting in to London.

Any other referees taking part?

The Referee Store
No. I'm not far off entering a marathon though. Couple more Half's, and maybe a little more, distance wise before committing to a full half.

Best of luck to you and run well.

Half marathon is my limit so far. Maybe get a marathon is one day.

Fair play to you! Send link over and I'll make a donation

Half marathon is my limit so far. Maybe get a marathon is one day.

Fair play to you! Send link over and I'll make a donation
Thanks! Will do once I've got it all set up.

Funnily enough I did one half marathon 10 years ago at the age of 22 (1 hour 59 mins) which I didn't really train for. Out of the blue I entered a half in May with only 4 weeks notice, trained for 4 weeks and did it in 1 hour 51.
Then entered a half in September which I thought I'd train harder for but injury put a stop to that and I got out training 3 weeks before the event and managed 1 hour 47.
Then entered another half in October at Alton Towers (hilly) but actually trained properly and managed 1 hour 34 mins.
This spurred me on to enter a flatter half at Milton Keynes in December aiming to get under 1 hour 30 but I went off too quick and struggled like hell at the end and came in at 1 hour 30 mins and 54 seconds. Frustrating, but still yet to not get a new PB in a half marathon. Thought I'd give the full distance a try!

It's no coincidence that my refereeing has improved massively since then and I've also gone from 14 stone 3 lbs at the end of August to 11 stone 7 lbs as of this morning!

Thanks! Will do once I've got it all set up.

Funnily enough I did one half marathon 10 years ago at the age of 22 (1 hour 59 mins) which I didn't really train for. Out of the blue I entered a half in May with only 4 weeks notice, trained for 4 weeks and did it in 1 hour 51.
Then entered a half in September which I thought I'd train harder for but injury put a stop to that and I got out training 3 weeks before the event and managed 1 hour 47.
Then entered another half in October at Alton Towers (hilly) but actually trained properly and managed 1 hour 34 mins.
This spurred me on to enter a flatter half at Milton Keynes in December aiming to get under 1 hour 30 but I went off too quick and struggled like hell at the end and came in at 1 hour 30 mins and 54 seconds. Frustrating, but still yet to not get a new PB in a half marathon. Thought I'd give the full distance a try!

It's no coincidence that my refereeing has improved massively since then and I've also gone from 14 stone 3 lbs at the end of August to 11 stone 7 lbs as of this morning!
I've entered ballot for great north run this year. That's a flattish one and aiming for 1hr 30 something.

Trick is negative splits. First half should be slower than the 2nd half... And a good warm Up. Around 10-20 minutes jogging. Seems counter intuitive given the amount of running your about to do but otherwise the first part of the race is warm up and, as you found, and I have in the past, the body just says no.

They are some really good times. My PB is 1:46, but was a hilly course on clay mining trails, 450m climbing. There ain't much flat round my way, mostly rolling ups and downs so I'm looking forward to seeing what time I can get on a flatter road route.

My error on my first half marathon was to go in with the idea to get the first half over with as quick as I could, then take the last part at a slower pace. I've since realised its best to try and set a consistent pace that you can keep up throughout. Doing that knocked around 20 mins off my initial time.

Ps- my time isn't quite 1h 30m like you 2! If things such as beer didn't exist, maybe it would.

I've entered ballot for great north run this year. That's a flattish one and aiming for 1hr 30 something.

Trick is negative splits. First half should be slower than the 2nd half... And a good warm Up. Around 10-20 minutes jogging. Seems counter intuitive given the amount of running your about to do but otherwise the first part of the race is warm up and, as you found, and I have in the past, the body just says no.

They are some really good times. My PB is 1:46, but was a hilly course on clay mining trails, 450m climbing. There ain't much flat round my way, mostly rolling ups and downs so I'm looking forward to seeing what time I can get on a flatter road route.
I've always looked at these people jogging near the start line thinking they're mad. 😆 It's the same as this doing slow training runs malarkey. Seems to me that if I train sometimes at an 'easy' pace then it'll feel harder when I try to go at full pace.

I do realise, however, that the people that suggest this know far more than I do, so I may have to adapt it for Manchester training.

My error on my first half marathon was to go in with the idea to get the first half over with as quick as I could, then take the last part at a slower pace. I've since realised its best to try and set a consistent pace that you can keep up throughout. Doing that knocked around 20 mins off my initial time.

Ps- my time isn't quite 1h 30m like you 2! If things such as beer didn't exist, maybe it would.
My problem in the MK half was that I couldn't find the pace maker so I went off in search of him. Caught him after a mile but decided to sit just in front as there were big crowds around him. Next thing I know I'm at mile 4 and he's out of sight behind me. Then around miles 7/8 I noticed a lot of people coming past me and me not going past anyone. then the pacemaker went past around mile 10. It's a deflating feeling haha!

My problem in the MK half was that I couldn't find the pace maker so I went off in search of him. Caught him after a mile but decided to sit just in front as there were big crowds around him. Next thing I know I'm at mile 4 and he's out of sight behind me. Then around miles 7/8 I noticed a lot of people coming past me and me not going past anyone. then the pacemaker went past around mile 10. It's a deflating feeling haha!
Had same in 2017, went off like a bullet, 22 min 5k, then died and finished in 2hr 17. So deflating.

Sorry to revive an old(ish) thread, but I now at long last have managed to get a fundraising page set up. Obviously I don't have much time now before Manchester Marathon (6 days - aaaargh!) but I'm also part of a big team taking on The Isle of Wight ultra in May.

Manchester is the big test for me though! I'm aiming for around 3 hours and 20 minutes. Will update on Sunday with my time. And I'm doing it alone. Isle of Wight will just be about getting round with good friends in any time at all, which I'm sure will also still be tough but in a different way.

If anyone can spare some £s or even pennies to help out, it would massively appreciated. 90% of the team for The Isle of Wight are referees, including Wayne who lost his daughter Daisy shortly after birth and is the reason we're all doing it.

Oh and if you click the link, I've lost weight since that photo, which was taken after my 2nd half marathon last year!

Please, if you can - Donate Here

I feel inspired. Does anyone want to join me for the London Marathon next year?

We'll do it properly - watch the full coverage.

I was thinking leisurely start. I'll do croissant and coffee for anyone that want them. Cooked brekkie if you want to go whole hog. Then settle down in the lounge. I've enough sofa space for 5 at a push but also got some bean bags for you younger ones!

Perhaps a walk afterwards, but I might be a bit worn out after the commentary.

JustSleep.com

😉

Last edited:
Back