A&H

Open Age Match Control or Coaching?

Anthony

Level 5 Referee
In adult football whenever there is a drop ball after stopping for an injury or a throw in to the opposition after the ball has been deliberately kicked out I get asked by one or both teams what they should do i.e. they are looking for guidance. I used to say it is up to you I cannot dictate what you do. Very recently I have altered my response to I would suggest you pass it back to them but ultimately it is up to you. This change is based on why do I need to be pedantic when if it all goes wrong I am inviting aggravation upon myself.
What do others do or say when asked by a player?

Did you know that it does not say in the LOTG how many players from each side can contest a drop ball, cue mayhem.:eek:

Possibly for another thread but you could add in back passes that the GK can/cannot pick up, do you say anything (coaching) or move away for example if the GK can pick it up?

The Referee Store
I had that one on Sunday just gone, i was asked by the defender (whos goalkeeper had got injured and i stopped play for) if they were going to give the ball back at the drop ball. my reply was to say that it wasnt up to me, but if they were sporting then they'd probably knock it back to your keeper... which fortunately they did

In adult football whenever there is a drop ball after stopping for an injury or a throw in to the opposition after the ball has been deliberately kicked out I get asked by one or both teams what they should do i.e. they are looking for guidance. I used to say it is up to you I cannot dictate what you do. Very recently I have altered my response to I would suggest you pass it back to them but ultimately it is up to you. This change is based on why do I need to be pedantic when if it all goes wrong I am inviting aggravation upon myself.

I strongly believe that this is an area of the game that needs to be tidied up. Personally I don't like to stage manage anything around a drop ball situation. I invite both teams to compete and make them aware that the ball is in play from when it touches the ground and from then LOTG apply. However, there is usually a genuine sporting attitude surrounding such situations where teams are quite prepared to give the ball back. Unfortunately we've seen several occassions where this has resulted in a goal being scored (sometimes deliberate, sometimes accidental) and ensuing chaos. There is nothing in LOTG to disallow such a goal but it is always the referee who gets the flack.

I strongly believe that this is an area of the game that needs to be tidied up. Personally I don't like to stage manage anything around a drop ball situation. I invite both teams to compete and make them aware that the ball is in play from when it touches the ground and from then LOTG apply. However, there is usually a genuine sporting attitude surrounding such situations where teams are quite prepared to give the ball back. Unfortunately we've seen several occassions where this has resulted in a goal being scored (sometimes deliberate, sometimes accidental) and ensuing chaos. There is nothing in LOTG to disallow such a goal but it is always the referee who gets the flack.

You can't score direct from a dropped ball though - that IS in the LOTG.

Touch wood I've never had a problem here ... I do 'cheat' a little bit though in case I ever do have a problem ...

LOTG (page 83) demands a whistle is needed to re-start play following a sub, injury ... if ever someone did score from a drop-ball re-start (deliberately or sliced!) - or gained a significant unsporting advantage - I'll pull it back and say I forgot to blow the whistle

Never ever had a problem though ... it may not be as per LOTG but where's the harm in tossing the ball to the nearest hovering attacker and see if they mind giving me their best Jonny Wilkinson impression and drop-kicking it back to the oppo GK ... put a ball in the hands on a player - any age - and their face will light up with the chance to show their skills off :)

I had that one on Sunday just gone, i was asked by the defender (whos goalkeeper had got injured and i stopped play for) if they were going to give the ball back at the drop ball. my reply was to say that it wasnt up to me, but if they were sporting then they'd probably knock it back to your keeper... which fortunately they did
just thought of a potential rod for my own back in my own statement there ... if he doesnt pass it back do i then have to caution for USB ?!? haha oh dear :)

Touch wood I've never had a problem here ... I do 'cheat' a little bit though in case I ever do have a problem ...

LOTG (page 83) demands a whistle is needed to re-start play following a sub, injury ... if ever someone did score from a drop-ball re-start (deliberately or sliced!) - or gained a significant unsporting advantage - I'll pull it back and say I forgot to blow the whistle

Never ever had a problem though ... it may not be as per LOTG but where's the harm in tossing the ball to the nearest hovering attacker and see if they mind giving me their best Jonny Wilkinson impression and drop-kicking it back to the oppo GK ... put a ball in the hands on a player - any age - and their face will light up with the chance to show their skills off :)

But Alex no need to "cheat" on the goal scored direct from a drop ball, its not allowed - as per LOTG. Its also a GK or corner - NOT another drop ball.

But Alex no need to "cheat" on the goal scored direct from a drop ball, its not allowed - as per LOTG. Its also a GK or corner - NOT another drop ball.

... depends on the definition of "direct" ... in the examples below - some may see the 2nd example as "direct" too as it hasn't touched anyone else
  • first (only) touch - yep - no goal
  • if a player takes 1-2 touches before banging it in the net - goal

Yes, but I understand that this only applies to the first touch after the ball has hit the ground. Any subsequent touch or deflection would result in a "legitimate" goal.
Interesting...
was aware of the LOTG, but had not realised that if a player takes one touch and smashes it the net, that's a goal

It's the definition of direct vs indirect.

Indirect means a second touch by a player is required to score the goal. On free kicks (etc), that must be another player, because a second touch by the taker is sanctioned already. Not so with a dropped ball...

I ask players what they are going to do. 99% of the time this will be answered with "we'll knock it back to their keeper". Then I give a big shout "Keeper, its coming back to you". Everybody is clear, no-one (hopefully) would ever argue if the ball ended up in the back of the net (by accident) after a "second touch". Everybody happy.

Dropped ball gents - I don't care what you do but it hits the floor first. Oh and don't kick me!

If they're asking for advice no harm in givin it, IMO. It's part of helping to adjudicate the match in a fair manner.

Nothing wrong with engineering the restart - eg if the keeper has it in his hands when play is stopped, why on earth would you invite the attacker to participate? Drop the ball before the other team can even think about contesting for a cheeky goal!

Always shout back pass or not a back pass - shouldn't be a lottery.
Funny as that is coaching for me.
That is exactly what will alert a dozy goalkeeper to pick up the ball.
If the players need to be reminded of the rules as it helps match control, then do that after that event, make sure both sides can hear, then it is fair.

If the keeper asks "Can I pick it up?" then I'll tell him yey or nay - I wouldn't shout out to him for every back pass though.

Why?

If he has any doubt he should kick it.....

If you felt it was a back pass, and saw a gk going to pick it up.....would you stop them by shouting it was a back pass?

Back