A&H

Match Official Mic'd up

Another one who knows and can see his opponent is going to do that and continues to jump and turn into that anyway.
This is what I'm not quite seeing as the boot only starts to come up when Mac Allister is very close and a quarter of a second before the contact. I suppose you might be suggesting he can guess Doku is going to try to kick it, but I can't see how he would 'know'. I can see many more players making risky high challenges as a result of how this one was handled.

The Referee Store
This is what I'm not quite seeing as the boot only starts to come up when Mac Allister is very close and a quarter of a second before the contact. I suppose you might be suggesting he can guess Doku is going to try to kick it, but I can't see how he would 'know'. I can see many more players making risky high challenges as a result of how this one was handled.
I think there's an acceptance that it's a fouls and should be punished so I think the risk of that is low...
What we, at least I, am debating, is whether VAr should have come in and I think not for the many reasons I have stated.

It's lost due to the quote system, but "chucks himself in the way" is an extremely uncharitable read of MacAllister's actions. He plays the ball (first I might remind you, not that it's actually vital in law to do so), using a body part that is naturally at the same height as the ball when he gets there, and does so in order to get the ball to his teammate.

I get that you're making a rhetorical point, but it's a real stretch to say MacAllister's done anything wrong there, especially when comparing to Doku's "wave studs around at chest height" actions.
Did someone in this thread just say Mac Allister was acting carelessly - for chesting a ball before someone stuck studs in his chest and thigh. FFS. Sad really.

Doku has already began moving his foot here and MacAllister has 2 feet on the ground. He then proceeds to jump and turn at the same time in Doku's direction. He's no more in control of his movements than Doku, arguably less so.
Your matches must be hilarious!

Did someone in this thread just say Mac Allister was acting carelessly - for chesting a ball before someone stuck studs in his chest and thigh. FFS. Sad really.
Nobody said he acted carelessly for chesting the ball, it was his act of jumping into an area where he knew his opponent would be trying to play the ball which it was said COULD be deemed as careless. Once again, there is simply not a case of studs being stuck into chest and thigh. Anyone who thinks that the studs have caused MacAllister any sort of damage here is absolutely buying his overreaction. Are you a Liverpool fan also?

The independent panel doesn't consist only of referees. If the suggestion is that football doesn't expect a penalty here, that's a problem with the laws that clearly dictate it should be a penalty. And that needs to be either fixed by IFAB or expectations changed by consistent application of this being given until football starts to expect the foul to be given.

What it doesn't need is isolated VARs choosing not to apply the law at random or because it's a big scary decision or because MO's word is gospel.
Quite the opposite, the panel is made up of at most one PGMOL representative, the other members are all ex-managers or ex-players. They were split on whether it was a foul, but all agreed it was not a clear and obvious error. As I've said before, absolutely no issues in people thinking it should have been a penalty, even if I disagree, but there is just no way it can result in a VAR intervention.

People really need to move on, you are flogging a dead horse. The independent panel have said they got it right, or at least the VAR part of it right, Howard Webb has said it was the correct process and outcome. Even my Liverpool supporting mates, who were apoplectic with rage on WhatsApp at the time, have now come to the conclusion that it probably wasn't a penalty and they'd have ben fuming had it been given against them. It is at most 70/30 and that just isn't enough for VAR to get involved.

What about this explanation
'The Laws of the Game are quite explicit in that if a player plays the ball onto his own arm it can't be a handball offence, unless of course there's a secondary action that moves the arm into the ball after the player has played it.'

I'm not aware of any such provision in the Laws? (no problem with the decision just the explanation)

'The Laws of the Game are quite explicit in that if a player plays the ball onto his own arm it can't be a handball offence, unless of course there's a secondary action that moves the arm into the ball after the player has played it.'

I'm not aware of any such provision in the Laws? (no problem with the decision just the explanation)
This was introduced in a rewording of law in 2019/20. I can’t seem to find any reference to it in law now though.

Yeah, I cringed a bit when he said that as that wording was taken out a couple of years ago. It is still regularly applied, but the laws are most definitely not quite explicit in stating that.

I'm very much enjoying the greater transparency that has come with the 'Howard Webb' era. Mic'ed Up is one part of that and weekly circulation of clips (including audio) to all PGMOL officials (ranging from EPL to Step 1) is another aspect. Interestingly / surprisingly. this incident was conspicuous by its absence in the clips circulated, despite featuring in the TV show. I'd suggest that it's absence supports the view that the more 'expected' on field decision would have been a Penalty Kick ... otherwise it would have been straightforward to circulate the clip backing BOTH the on field decision and the VAR non intervention

Back