A&H

mr Moss doing as per

The Referee Store
Smalling should have been off as well, that tackle was an easy yellow. The more I see moss, the less I rate him as a PL level referee.

Yellow for what? It was a genuine attempt for the ball that led to a penalty, so under current laws Moss would have been incorrect n law to caution for that.

Yellow for what? It was a genuine attempt for the ball that led to a penalty, so under current laws Moss would have been incorrect n law to caution for that.

I thought that was only in cases of SPA and not applicable if the tackle was itself worthy of a caution (reckless) which this certainly could be.

Certainly could be wrong on the first part mind...

Smalling tackle was clearly reckless. Besides that he was so late that there was no realistic chance of winning the ball.

Would be interesting to find out whether Moss saw the touch on the ball for the United penalty. I suspect not.

Never a penalty in a million years BUT i think at full speed thats a very tough one for the referee.

The Smalling tackle is a clear and obvious yellow card as reckless.

the touch on the ball is enough for me to say no foul (on this occasion)
the antics which follow make me say no pk and even yc to attacker if am in that mood
I'm afraid you are seeing this with your heart and dislike of players exaggerate simple fouls instead of your head and your understanding of what careless is.
As always you have your mind made up and no one can convince you otherwise. :) Welcome back again.

Worries me how many people are using the he got a touch on the ball as justification for no penalty. We all know that just getting the ball does not absolve a player of committing a CRUEF challenge.

The very fact it's taken a lot of varying different camera angles to spot this tiny touch on the ball only serves to confirm this as a careless challenge for the ball.

Rusty, was this part of the DOGSO-R downgrade to yellow as well? Because I've seen plenty of reckless challenges still getting booked even though they've led to a pk. Why couldn't Moss book the player here? If that foul happens in midfield he's walking no issues, that same foul is still a YC in the box?

Worries me how many people are using the he got a touch on the ball as justification for no penalty. We all know that just getting the ball does not absolve a player of committing a CRUEF challenge.

The very fact it's taken a lot of varying different camera angles to spot this tiny touch on the ball only serves to confirm this as a careless challenge for the ball.

For me its clear anticipated contact, and thus, simulation.

Rusty, was this part of the DOGSO-R downgrade to yellow as well? Because I've seen plenty of reckless challenges still getting booked even though they've led to a pk. Why couldn't Moss book the player here? If that foul happens in midfield he's walking no issues, that same foul is still a YC in the box?
Careless/Reckless/Excessive Force is completely separate from DOGSO and SPA.

A careless attempt for the ball that stops a promising attack in the PA = penalty, no sanction.
A reckless attempt for the ball that stops a promising attack in the PA = penalty, caution for reckless.

So yes, Smalling could have been cautioned here had Moss deemed it reckless.

Getting the ball is fundamental as to whether a challenge is fair. Nobody is saying that getting the ball absolves someone from a CRUEF challenge, but it's usually the difference between a challenge being careless or fair.

In this instance the way he goes in looks clumsy, he could have tackled in other ways (whichever way he tackled there would likely have been some contact).

I saw the second one without seeing the first one, I wrongly though Miley was off his meds! 👏👏👏

Last edited:
At full speedm no replays from 20yds away - pen all day long.

If there was VAR you could argue that it wasn't.....just.

Back