A&H

New goal kick trick

Also, no mention on what to do if the ball is rolled along the ground (not 'lifted' up) on to the head of a defender who is lying down and then picked up by the keeper?
Now that would be a deliberate trick (as you would not ordinarily expect a player to lie on the ground to play the ball) and not a moment of skill so I believe you would be justified in cautioning the player lying on the ground

The Referee Store
Related question (sort of):

The ball is in the goalkeepers hands; he throws it directly to his teammates head who heads it back to him. Is this trickery and circumvention of the law?

The ball is in the goalkeepers hands; he throws it directly to his teammates head who heads it back to him. Is this trickery and circumvention of the law?
No. Nothing wrong with this at all. Can only imagine it would be done to waste time and would soon be stopped once the team without the ball realised what was going on

No. Nothing wrong with this at all. Can only imagine it would be done to waste time and would soon be stopped once the team without the ball realised what was going on
Not so sure about nothing being wrong with at all. The reasoning you gave also applies if the keeper threw it to the defender's foot and it was kicked back, but it is a free kick.
For me it's similar to one player kicking it to another's head who headers it to the keeper. It is more likely a circumvention.

Last edited:

Can the teammate be challenged at the moment the ball is thrown? I can't think of any reason why an attacker wouldn't be allowed to mark a defender while the ball is in the GK's hands, so I would say there's no problem. They can try and do it again, but a smart team will be switched on, nip in and score.

The defender could stand an inch away, and the keeper bounce it off his head every 5.9 seconds...

That sounds like the very definition of Unsporting Behaviour and an easy route to two yellow cards :). Still not circumvention though ....

If it was allowed once from five yards, I don't see how you could justify not allowing it multiple times from one inch.

Personally, I don't believe it should be allowed at all. If a team really wanted to they could easily use multiple defenders and reposition themselves accordingly so that they are always very close to the goalkeeper to be able to head it back. I think it would be difficult for an attacking team to challenge for the ball in such circumstances.

I think it should be regarded as circumventing the backpass law because it is using a tactic to regularly get the ball from a defender back to the goalkeeper's hands which is exactly what the backpass law was introduced to prevent.

The defender could stand an inch away, and the keeper bounce it off his head every 5.9 seconds...
I guess theoretically they could, if the opponents just stood there and let it happen but as @GraemeS says, as soon as they did it once, the opponents would just send a player in to challenge for the ball. That would probably lead to some jostling which the referee would then have to deal with.

Anyway, teams have had nearly 30 years to start trying this tactic since the 'circumvention' clause came in and the fact that we never see teams trying to do this (to the best of my knowledge), is I think a fairly good indication that were not likely to see them starting to try it any time soon.

I guess theoretically they could, if the opponents just stood there and let it happen but as @GraemeS says, as soon as they did it once, the opponents would just send a player in to challenge for the ball. That would probably lead to some jostling which the referee would then have to deal with.

Then the referee would have to punish the attacker for preventing the goalkeeper releasing the ball.

Of course that’s all a nonsense but people need to think through the implications of allowing something as silly as was initially proposed.

Then the referee would have to punish the attacker for preventing the goalkeeper releasing the ball.

Of course that’s all a nonsense but people need to think through the implications of allowing something as silly as was initially proposed.
I think he meant challenge the receiving defender(s) so that they couldn't easily be thrown to with a guarantee of retaining posession.

I think he meant challenge the receiving defender(s) so that they couldn't easily be thrown to with a guarantee of retaining posession.

I think they would struggle to stop it if a defensive team particularly wanted to do it. Obviously if they all stood static it could be possible but bearing in mind they could use a few different defenders and have the option of the goalkeeper/defender moving to make it happen.

I am now quite curious to see a training session game where the defence tries to employ this tactic and the attackers try to stop it, and to see how long it could on for.

Obviously unlikely to actually happen in a game though!

Back