A&H

New goal kick trick

Attacking teams will adapt. They will charge the kick and in the time that it takes for the defender to head back and the keeper to catch it, the attacker will be in a position to challenge for the ball. Once teams come a cropper with it, it will soon stop.
No attacker in the world is covering that amount of space in such a short space of time.
More chance of a **** up and an own goal than attackers being able to intercept that move

Moderator edit: Quoted removed content

Last edited by a moderator:
The Referee Store
Defenders just needs to drop to his knees and the goalkeeper can play a one two of him. No risk of messing that up.

So, interesting update:

Denmark's FA has come out (in writing) and said that this is NOT allowed.
Dutch FA has come out (in writing) and said that this IS allowed.

A referee education group in Germany has stated that they have information via a UEFA member group from the IFAB saying it is allowed.
Apparently, some PGMOL coaches have been saying that this is allowed.

Neither of these latter groups have put anything clearly in writing for the public to see, so take those both with grains of salt at this time.

The law is clear and supercedes the Dutch FA. Allowing this goal kick trick would require a change in law from the IFAB.

It does, but had the keeper chested the ball down and played on rather than catching the ball, none of us would have stopped play
Probably right, but the laws allow the option to be there. That situation would be much better handled with a clear verbal warning etc.

So, interesting update:

A referee education group in Germany has stated that they have information via a UEFA member group from the IFAB saying it is allowed.

Neither of these latter groups have put anything clearly in writing for the public to see, so take those both with grains of salt at this time.
I don't buy it, what's the rationale for this clear infringement of law to be allowed?

So, interesting update:

Got a link for the Dutch?

I'm gone 5 minutes and you've let these ****wits ruin the game with petty tinkering for tinkering sake. VAR, Handball, Socktape, now goal kicks.... whatever next..... i may have to make a comeback and take a stand for some Yorkie common sense!

I'm gone 5 minutes and you've let these ****wits ruin the game with petty tinkering for tinkering sake. VAR, Handball, Socktape, now goal kicks.... whatever next..... i may have to make a comeback and take a stand for some Yorkie common sense!
What’s the problem with this law (bar the obvious problems with the video in question)?

If I’m honest, each friendly I’ve done this season has been improved by this law. Most goalkeepers not opting to kick it long at any stage anymore and it’s definitely worked in encouraging teams to play it on the ground

Not sure if that worked, here's the text of the tweet:
Hoi, volgens de internationale spelregelcommissie IFAB mag dit. De spelregelwijziging dat de bal bij een doeltrap niet meer het zestienmetergebied hoeft te verlaten voordat een speler de bal mag aanraken, is bedacht om effectieve speeltijd te vergroten.

— KNVB (@KNVB) July 29, 2019

I suspect the person in charge of the Dutch FA Twitter account has misunderstood the question. This doesn't appear to be an official statement.

Google translates it to :
"Dear @KNVB, is this allowed? It is not described that it is not allowed. Curious about your explanation. "
"Hi, this is allowed according to the international rules committee IFAB. The change of rules that the ball no longer has to leave the sixteen-meter area at a goal kick before a player is allowed to touch the ball is designed to increase effective playing time. "

@KNVB has clearly interpreted the word "this" in the question as "a player touching the ball after a goal kick before it leaves the sixteen-meter area". Circumventing the law hasn't even crossed their mind (perhaps deliberately ;) )

Reactions: JH
After reflection, I agree that the laws dont disallow this. Maybe we should just change the law where the GK can start with the ball in their hand from the goal a area.

Attacking teams will adapt. They will charge the kick and in the time that it takes for the defender to head back and the keeper to catch it, the attacker will be in a position to challenge for the ball. Once teams come a cropper with it, it will soon stop.

Moderator edit: Replies took this off topic. Relevant part retained
(Thanks Mods)
In the OP an attackers had charged the kick immediately after it was kicked. Pictures below show how far they got before the keeper had control of the ball with hand and could no longer be challenged.

1564532273446.png

1564532332160.png

After reflection, I agree that the laws dont disallow this.
You realise "dont disallow" means "do allow" right? If so, how do you think that?

How would you discount this Law12 clause for the OP (see the definition of 'trick' in post #12") :

1564532555188.png

How can the GK use a deliberate trick when the ball is out of play to pass the ball to himself? In any other trickery case, what the GK did here would be the person punished with the card.

I don't like it, but as written law 12 has no say on this particular scenario and I suspect that's what IFAB will say.

Using references to the law and the definition of trick below (not trickery, as in ball trickery, which in this context are not the same).

The goal keeper and the defender together have used a trick (a cunning act) to circumvent the law (deceive or outwit the law enforcer, referee). As the defender was part of the trick, he has used a trick. It is clear it was deliberate which makes it a deliberate trick. The defender passed the ball to the goal keeper and used his head. That is word for word matching the clause. The defender "uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball to the goal keeper with the head"

In the clip, where is the "trick"?
Seriously?
The goalkeeper flicks it to the defender, who heads it back to the goalkeeper to be caught, in order to circumvent the law against picking it up from a deliberate kick by a team-mate.

In the clip, where is the "trick"?
Trick = a cunning act or scheme intended to deceive or outwit someone

Do you want to see a card 'trick'? The trick starts when I pull the deck of cards out of my pocket and ends when you say "wow, how did you do that?". The trick is not a single act picked in the process.

In the OP the trick (cunning act) starts from the moment th keeper lifts the ball and finishes when the keeper catches it. It is to deceive/outwit the referee into thinking they have not 'backpassed' the ball. Both the keeper and the defender are involved in the trick.

Back