A&H

Neymar was fouled ten times Vs Switzerland

This for me falls under persistent infringement even if its done by ten different opponents. After a few/several fouls (when it becomes apparent it is a tactic), get the captain and tell him the next foul on the said player is a yellow card and then follow through.

Thoughts?

The only thing I would change is that I would not tell the captain that the next foul would engender a caution. It is still conceivable that they will have stopped fouling him for 75 minutes and then someone ends up carelessly fouling him and you're in a position where you now must caution him or go back on what you had said over an hour ago. Better to say "I can see that this is tactical. Enough is enough." and make some kind of public show with your arms to make it clear that enough is enough.

The Referee Store
My fav player of all time is Cantona. Either watching him live or on tv, as a kid, (well, younger person than I am now), was I influenced by him being sent off so often? Yes, it made me not fussed if i was him, if I was sent off so often. In no way would I look at Eric being sent off and it be a deterrent. Dont buy into the kids see it on tv so if Ronaldo gets cautioned, then nobody will shout at you next season.

Perhaps, but seeing it go unpunished certainly doesn’t provide any deterrent whatsoever.

The only thing I would change is that I would not tell the captain that the next foul would engender a caution. It is still conceivable that they will have stopped fouling him for 75 minutes and then someone ends up carelessly fouling him and you're in a position where you now must caution him or go back on what you had said over an hour ago. Better to say "I can see that this is tactical. Enough is enough." and make some kind of public show with your arms to make it clear that enough is enough.
Agreed - my default is instead of saying "...and I will card him" is "...and I will have to think about a card". Just gives you that little bit of wiggle room, and is so easy to drop into a sentence that I almost do it automatically now.

I see your point and arguably a better option. My default warning is ".... or i will take serious action". But in this case for me, I would probably do the same and leave no doubts. I don't see any issue with cautioning even if its an hour later. He has been fouled enough.

Consider what you are cautioning them for: because they have undertaken a tactic to foul the opposition's best creative player. In this case, if they do not foul him for an hour then it seems clear that they have abandoned that tactic. For me, to caution a player for persistent infringement when it has been several players on the same team who have committed a foul against one opponent, they have to happen within a period of time to make it obvious.

Consider what you are cautioning them for: because they have undertaken a tactic to foul the opposition's best creative player. In this case, if they do not foul him for an hour then it seems clear that they have abandoned that tactic. For me, to caution a player for persistent infringement when it has been several players on the same team who have committed a foul against one opponent, they have to happen within a period of time to make it obvious.
Hence the word "persistent"

Think it was Ander Herrera that got on the wrong end of Man Utd persistently targeting Eden Hazard and he got the caution, then got sent off for another one. That could be my notoriously bad memory though playing tricks on me … :)

Think it was Ander Herrera that got on the wrong end of Man Utd persistently targeting Eden Hazard and he got the caution, then got sent off for another one. That could be my notoriously bad memory though playing tricks on me … :)

Trying to imagine Ander Herrera as the enforcer is a tad funny.

The public is a side consideration. Sponsors, TV, corporate, and then filtering down to punters putting bums on seats
Just noticed this. A bit academic but you are contradicting yourself there. Punters = public. Public is why sponsors and corporate are interested. :)

Why would sponsors show interest if the public is not showing interest? How many multimilion dollar sposorship deals has there been for the game of croquet?

Why would sponsors show interest if the public is not showing interest? How many multimilion dollar sposorship deals has there been for the game of croquet?

The same way Sky and Bt Sports show UK footy with half empty stadiums..

Yeah think Hazard got fouled 3 times in 30 mins. What devious "targeting" by Utd!!
It was another joke decision by the "best ref in England" Michael Oliver who loves who use the iron fist when it's against Utd (Unless it was Rooney or Hart he didn't have the spine to sanction them funnily)

Yeah think Hazard got fouled 3 times in 30 mins. What devious "targeting" by Utd!!
It was another joke decision by the "best ref in England" Michael Oliver who loves who use the iron fist when it's against Utd (Unless it was Rooney or Hart he didn't have the spine to sanction them funnily)

Think you may be more than a tad biased there, from memory it was more like every couple of minutes he was being taken out. And I say that as someone who has zero allegiance to either team, and indeed dislike them both pretty much equally.

Think you may be more than a tad biased there, from memory it was more like every couple of minutes he was being taken out. And I say that as someone who has zero allegiance to either team, and indeed dislike them both pretty much equally.

well this was handy.
In the 32nd minute of this match, Hazard was fouled for the 4th time that match, one of which receieved a caution (and wasn't even a foul but hey ho it's Oliver after all).
So 3 unchecked fouls in 32 mins warranted a chat by Oliver with the captain. 2 seconds later Hazard dives after minimal contact from Herrera (still afoul) and Herrera walks.
2 fouls on Hazard 2 cautions
Phil Jones 2 fouls on Hazard, 0 cautions
You were right that I am biased. I hate Oliver. Never has anyone had the referee community so fooled about their ability

Off topic soz but as its mentioned above......Oliver will get every final known to man
I think the person fooled might be you. The guys awesome and will get better
His fa cup final performance and his Champ league semi were outstanding
Maybe when you referee these kind of games, folk can turn round and hate you

And i had a utd st for years......

Off topic soz but as its mentioned above......Oliver will get every final known to man
I think the person fooled might be you. The guys awesome and will get better
His fa cup final performance and his Champ league semi were outstanding
Maybe when you referee these kind of games, folk can turn round and hate you

And i had a utd st for years......

Michael is that you?
If my dad was manchester RDO maybe he could have greased the wheels for me as well...

No way am I saying its right but its a trait not exclusive to refereeing

Think about it, would you not try smooth things over and give a wee extra help to your own son?

Back