A&H

No VAR but a big screen..

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Millwalll score a handball, no VAR, Everton players go ape, and before game restarts everybody sees the handball on big screen!!

You would be tempted......

Edit as i was typing, bbc showed clip of both managers watching it on the screen, with Everton bench turning blue, well, bluer, and Millwall manager pointing for the replay to be removed!!

Scenes

The Referee Store
Sounds ridiculous.

For the most prestigious cup in the world? Farcical

Two everton bookings out of it too. Not of course excusing them but, they seen it clear as day on the screen too. Horrible position for Oliver to be in, he be like, I know its handball, whole stadium just saw its handball, but i never saw it at the time, so goal.

Club's haven't shown controversial incidents on the big screen for many years. Not sure a live game at the Den is the place to start showing controversial goals lol. I can only think that the person controlling the replays on the stadium screen either got a bit carried away or innocently thought that their was no possible controversy with the goal when he saw it live and put it on the stadium screen without checking the replay first. Either way......oops!

Reminded me of the WC one years back where, cant recall exact, but something happened and even the ref was watching the screen, helpless

I remember the big screens going up for the world cup in Germany (2006?). It's been happening in cricket at test level for 20 years but they show every replay, even if the umpire has had a shocker. The umpire then has many hours out there to be reminded about it by the players too lol. I suppose in cricket, alot of the match going fans are mature enough to know that officiating is tough and mistakes are inevitable. I dont think alot of football's hardcore fans are quite as accommodating! Imagine if Everton had scored that goal at the Den!!

Last edited:
Am just glad for replay man that the goal stood....I doubt he be making that mistake again!
I went to Elland Road, but, am not brave enough to go to a game there!

Reminded me of the WC one years back where, cant recall exact, but something happened and even the ref was watching the screen, helpless

Argentina v Mexico wc 2010 2nd round game.

Tevez offside but tight in real time, shown on big screen and Mexico go mad!

Tonights had the Everton manager pleading with the 4th to look at the screen but the 4th did everything but look! It was like a comedy scene.

Rumoured that Zidane only got sent off for his headbutt because the 4th official saw the replay on the big screen

I thought you were talking about Australia for a moment - a game within the last week it went to on-field review. The sideline screen didn't work so the on-field review was the big screen!

And as is usually the case in Australia, they still got it wrong.

He was behind the keeper if I recall...will try dig it out on youtube

Absolutely gutted for the guy.

We feel bad enough making an error as it is, but to do it at the World Cup. :cry: Did he ever get another chance?

Rumoured that Zidane only got sent off for his headbutt because the 4th official saw the replay on the big screen

Am sure I read the refs interview or heard the audio or something somewhere and that was never mentioned. Will see if I can find it. Ref and 4th though did keep confirming with each other before the sanction.

As I recall, it was rumoured that he'd seen it on a pitchside monitor, but as far as I'm aware there was absolutely no evidence offered by anyone to back up the rumour (and there were plenty of people by the side of the pitch in the technical areas, in a position to see what the 4th official was doing). Apart from that, it was totally against the principles of refereeing in use at the time and for me it would be unthinkable that officials in the biggest game in the football calendar (and the biggest game of their careers) would have even considered doing it.

According to the statements given by the match officials, "The incident was directly observed (ie, without the use of a monitor) by fourth official Luis Medina Cantalejo from his position at the pitchside, who informed the referee and his assistants through the communications system."

Or, in referee Hector Elizondo's words, "Luis Medina Cantalejo’s voice [the fourth official] appears in my headset, and he says, “Horacio, Horacio, I saw it,” he says to me. “A really violent headbutt by Zidane on Materazzi, right in the chest.”

For the most prestigious cup in the world? Farcical

Two everton bookings out of it too. Not of course excusing them but, they seen it clear as day on the screen too. Horrible position for Oliver to be in, he be like, I know its handball, whole stadium just saw its handball, but i never saw it at the time, so goal.

He DID go to AR though - so the two of them could have 'made a case' for AR seeing it and disallowing the goal?

He DID go to AR though - so the two of them could have 'made a case' for AR seeing it and disallowing the goal?

Are suggesting they lied and said they saw something they didn't?

It's hard to tell from watching it on TV when the replay was shown on the big screen, but it I think it was after he'd spoken to the AR and awarded the goal.

I don't think there's anyway that either the red or AR could have seen the hand ball, even the commentators at the time thought there might have been an offside player, and it wasn't until they'd gone through replays from various angles that they saw the hand ball.

Oliver was thrown under the bus by those replays, everyone in the stadium saw it was a handball, but he can't change his decision based on the big screen.

Back