A&H

No VAR but a big screen..

Well now we have another one. Andy Madley has just given a penalty to Brentford that at best can be described as soft, and in all reality was plain wrong. Had that been at a PL ground it would undoubtedly been overturned, so the complaints about inconsistency will continue.

The Referee Store
Well now we have another one. Andy Madley has just given a penalty to Brentford that at best can be described as soft, and in all reality was plain wrong. Had that been at a PL ground it would undoubtedly been overturned, so the complaints about inconsistency will continue.
No, inconsistency is a form of consistency!!

Was never a penalty.
Assistant should help. And I support Brentford... May not admit it if we lose.

Totally this, dont need var here, just a competent official.
Looks to me like AR might even have gave it.
He had a perfect view and to me, it looked like if the referee didn't give it, he was ready to flag. He slightly reached for the flag with his right hand. I'd like to think I'd be brave enough to call the referee over and say there was no contact whatsoever.

He had a perfect view and to me, it looked like if the referee didn't give it, he was ready to flag. He slightly reached for the flag with his right hand. I'd like to think I'd be brave enough to call the referee over and say there was no contact whatsoever.

And vice versa, if you are ref and he shouts, pen, you say, no
Messy if he flags but again courage is needed and ref simply has to overule.

I have done it in a top flight game years ago. Its a pulse racing situation! First you play it back in your head, then you need to be sure you are right, then get ref over and say your piece, not an easy task at 0-0 with ten mins to go!
On my one, the ref actually said to me, am still giving it. I looked him right in eye and honestly said, "its not a f ing penalty". Time stood still! But, fair play, he went with me and gave the drop ball.
Home manager raced down touchline screaming, I said, xxx, we both know that was not a foul, to which he replied, "i know that but its not your job to tell him that"
(clean editted version)

Home team won 1-0 so incident although not overlooked, was not as debated as much as it could have been.

Never as ref have I been advised to reverse a pk. And only once as AR have I advised ref to overturn a pk.

Back