A&H

Nottingham Forest appoint Mark Clattenburg as referee analyst

The Referee Store
Think Nicholas Jackson could do with some referee 1-2-1 given the number of yellow cards he has picked up already this season, even managed to get himself a yellow after being subbed off against Palace for over celebrating a goal!

I'm surprised this isn't more of a thing given the money involved at the top level and the relatively low salary (compared to what they're paying playing staff) that a decent former referee would warrant.

Suspect this is just a publicity stunt, effectively them sticking two fingers up to PGMOL and the FA. I give it 6 months at the absolute most.

I mean, it absolutely should be a job most clubs have someone doing, every referee has his habits and in the world of "marginal gains", knowing those habits can be important. In the three games I've noticed seeing John Brooks ref in this season, he's not given a single card in the first half and then has been fairly liberal with them in the second - if that's a pattern that tends to be true across his entire season, it's not hard to imagine how a team could take advantage of that.

But do you need a high-profile and presumably comparatively expensive ex-ref to do that job, or could it actually just be 25% of an already-present analyst's job? In that respect, I do tend to agree with Rusty.

I mean, it absolutely should be a job most clubs have someone doing, every referee has his habits and in the world of "marginal gains", knowing those habits can be important. In the three games I've noticed seeing John Brooks ref in this season, he's not given a single card in the first half and then has been fairly liberal with them in the second - if that's a pattern that tends to be true across his entire season, it's not hard to imagine how a team could take advantage of that.

But do you need a high-profile and presumably comparatively expensive ex-ref to do that job, or could it actually just be 25% of an already-present analyst's job? In that respect, I do tend to agree with Rusty.
get your CV in!

"a move to improve understanding and relationships". Yeah, right. More like, hiring an ex-referee to work out how to con existing referees or using his experience to question decisions that have gone against them ? 🤔

Alan Pardew and Graeme Souness were asked about this on the radio on Monday. They both said that they were given reports about referees by their analysts and they never did anything with them. Granted football has moved on since they last managed, but equally there are a lot less individual characters in refereeing than there were in the past. Performance competencies have done away with that, we are never likely to see maverick referees any more, they will all be much of a muchness. Agree that some will perhaps be more likely to caution early than others, but there won't be a lot of difference.

Alan Pardew and Graeme Souness were asked about this on the radio on Monday. They both said that they were given reports about referees by their analysts and they never did anything with them. Granted football has moved on since they last managed, but equally there are a lot less individual characters in refereeing than there were in the past. Performance competencies have done away with that, we are never likely to see maverick referees any more, they will all be much of a muchness. Agree that some will perhaps be more likely to caution early than others, but there won't be a lot of difference.
Performance competencies? How many marks do they lose just for getting in the way of play?

Back