A&H

Old school ref - how to provide advice?

@OldNavyRef

1) Tell him what was said exactly.

2) If the yellow was flashed then he can't technically stay on as the assessment wouldn't have been completed quickly.
Not a situation for you to give public input
Learning. Everything was said quietly to both refs outside of earshot of anyone. Nothing public.

So let me get this right. Cause I think this is a weird one.

So if a player is recklessly challenged and the referee quickly issues a yellow. The injured player can be sent off the pitch and the defending team are required to play with 10 men. Even if the injured player is the set-piece taker.

Just seems like they are being disadvantaged.

Hence me getting involved.

The Referee Store
Learning. Everything was said quietly to both refs outside of earshot of anyone. Nothing public.

So let me get this right. Cause I think this is a weird one.

So if a player is recklessly challenged and the referee quickly issues a yellow. The injured player can be sent off the pitch and the defending team are required to play with 10 men. Even if the injured player is the set-piece taker.

Just seems like they are being disadvantaged.

Hence me getting involved.
This is correct. It's a common misconception that if a player is cautioned for a tackle, the player injured may stay on the FOP regardless of anything else.

This is only if the treatment /assessment is completed quickly. I sent a player off the FOP last Monday when the tackler was cautioned and it was queried by his dugout. I explained that the treatment had taken too long, and they were confused by this (although they did accept the explanation)

It can be a difficult line between when giving the referee advice on errors is good and when it isn't needed. Certainly be very careful when the observer is in the room, if he hasn't picked up on anything that was missed or wrong it definitely isn't the time to be raising it when he is in the room. I had that happen to me once and I wasn't best impressed, especially when the AR had a 10 minute window to raise it with me before the observer came in.

It is also a case of knowing your referee, and you won't really know that until you have worked with him or her a few times. I'd be perfectly comfortable giving advice to most of the referees I worked with, but there are also a few that I wouldn't even consider as I know they wouldn't take it well.

It can be a difficult line between when giving the referee advice on errors is good and when it isn't needed. Certainly be very careful when the observer is in the room, if he hasn't picked up on anything that was missed or wrong it definitely isn't the time to be raising it when he is in the room. I had that happen to me once and I wasn't best impressed, especially when the AR had a 10 minute window to raise it with me before the observer came in.

It is also a case of knowing your referee, and you won't really know that until you have worked with him or her a few times. I'd be perfectly comfortable giving advice to most of the referees I worked with, but there are also a few that I wouldn't even consider as I know they wouldn't take it well.
The policy I go for and I think it is uniform. The observer gives you 10 mins to get your lives together after the game. Iron everything then.

1 team, 1 dream.

Back