A&H

One to think about

HullRef

RefChat Addict
Assuming you're refereeing an FA cup game that must be finished on the night.

Without any of them coming after the final whistle, what is the most number of red cards that can be issued and the game still come to a conclusion with a legitimate result? (based purely on what is outlined in the LOTG).

Don't explain how just yet, lets just have numbers to see how many different answers we get.

The Referee Store
36? 22 players plus 7 subs from each team? Or is it 5 subs from each team meaning 32?

WGS and BT Internet would go into nuclear meltdown if you had to submit all of those on a Sunday night! :D

In theory you could blow the final whistle immediately after showing multiple red cards, as the game won't be continuing the minimum of seven player limit doesn't apply.

I've got 22 at the moment.
I suppose I should also consider theoretical situations in penalty kicks to determine the winner. The question does say the game must be decided on the night. Red cards during the shootout doesn't trigger the abandonment because of player numbers, does it? I suppose you could dish out another 14, giving 36 in total.

In theory you could blow the final whistle immediately after showing multiple red cards, as the game won't be continuing the minimum of seven player limit doesn't apply.

That's not right - if you send enough off to drop one or both teams below 7 players then it has to count as an abandonment regardless of how late in the match it happens.

That's not right - if you send enough off to drop one or both teams below 7 players then it has to count as an abandonment regardless of how late in the match it happens.
Not the case in kicks from the mark.

Once you get there, you can go below 7.

My contention is that you can go below 7 as long as the game is not restarted.

Also I'm - probably incorrectly - assuming that the OP wasn't including kicks from the mark.

Not the case in kicks from the mark.

Once you get there, you can go below 7.
Kicks from the penalty mark aren't part of the match, so what I said is still correct ;)
Kicks from the penalty mark are taken after the match has ended and unless otherwise stated, the relevant Laws of the Game apply

My contention is that you can go below 7 as long as the game is not restarted.
If that happened and you didn't report it as an abandonment it would mean that the County FA wouldn't be able to charge the team(s) for causing the match to be abandoned, and could quite possibly result in you being charged for failing to proficiently apply the LotG.

Last edited:
34 (assuming maximum number of players on the team sheet is 18, that is 11 starters + 7 substitutes)

You must have a goal keeper from each side to complete the game. The number of players from each side can be reduced to as low as one goalkeeper per side during KFTPM.

Last edited:
Kicks from the penalty mark aren't part of the match, so what I said is still correct ;)

If that happened and you didn't report it as an abandonment it would mean that the County FA wouldn't be able to charge the team(s) for causing the match to be abandoned, and could quite possibly result in you being charged for failing to proficiently apply the LotG.

Missed your edit. The match isn't continuing in my scenario.

Assuming you're refereeing an FA cup game that must be finished on the night.

Without any of them coming after the final whistle, what is the most number of red cards that can be issued and the game still come to a conclusion with a legitimate result? (based purely on what is outlined in the LOTG).

Don't explain how just yet, lets just have numbers to see how many different answers we get.

Bored :yawn: - can we have the answer.:mad:

Back