A&H

Palace v Leeds

Ryanj91

Wow... This is just ridiculous.

Question that relates directly to this.

Imagine a Goal line scramble... Striker deliberately upper arms the ball into the goal - is that now a goal? 😳
Screenshot_20201107_170344_com.twitter.android.jpg

The Referee Store
So absurd that it beggars belief. For one thing, that line which is drawn with such precision (not withstanding the whole frame rate debate), is fundamentally based on arbitrarily determining where the short sleeve would end. So precision based on estimation. Insane
Like most of us, I've not been out there reffing this weekend and have thus been plonked in front of the EPL
I can't put into words the damage VAR is having on the game. It's also humiliating the referees. The referees are not useless, so the illusion that they are, is entirely down to the VAR process. How can things have gotten this bad?

Last edited:
So absurd that it beggars belief. For one thing, that line which is drawn with such precision (not withstanding the whole frame rate debate), is fundamentally based on arbitrarily determining where the short sleeve would end. So precision based on estimation. Insane
Like most of us, I've not been out there reffing this weekend and have thus been plonked in front of the EPL
I can't put into words the damage VAR is having on the game. It's also humiliating the referees. The referees are not useless, so the illusion that they are, is entirely down to the VAR process. How can things have gotten this bad?
Eh? Short sleeve, handball has nowt do with sleeve length. It's the bottom of the armpit.
Albeit I agree. This is nonsensical. If this is how offside is going to play out now, I'm afraid to say it needs revising. Problem is can the lawmakers be trusted not to break it. (again/ Even more)
If I were to change it I would say if the feet are onside, then the player is onside. Save for the arm, Bamford is so clearly on side. What advantage had been gained by his arm being there.

‘The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered’

so why are are we giving that?

Eh? Short sleeve, handball has nowt do with sleeve length. It's the bottom of the armpit.
Albeit I agree. This is nonsensical. If this is how offside is going to play out now, I'm afraid to say it needs revising. Problem is can the lawmakers be trusted not to break it. (again/ Even more)
If I were to change it I would say if the feet are onside, then the player is onside. Save for the arm, Bamford is so clearly on side. What advantage had been gained by his arm being there.
I thought they have now made the upper arm (shirt sleeve) no longer handball?
This is why Mane was 'offside' or why Arsenal didn't conceed a pen when it hit Gabriel on the sleeve before the rule change on handball penalties.

I thought they have now made the upper arm (shirt sleeve) no longer handball?
This is why Mane was 'offside' or why Arsenal didn't conceed a pen when it hit Gabriel on the sleeve before the rule change on handball penalties.
Screenshot_20201107_183210_com.google.android.apps.docs.png

It is the part of the arm that is level with the arm-pit, which roughly equates to the t-shirt line. Because his arm is out pointing where he wants to cross the part of his arm that can score is ahead of the defender and is therefore offside.

That is how it works now, there is no element of giving the attacker the benefit, if he is just 0.01mm further ahead he is offside. I have no sympathy with those moaning, as everyone in football has been moaning for decades when assistants get offsides wrong by millimetres, but now the technology is there to fix it they don't want it any more. They can't have it both ways.

It is the part of the arm that is level with the arm-pit, which roughly equates to the t-shirt line. Because his arm is out pointing where he wants to cross the part of his arm that can score is ahead of the defender and is therefore offside.

That is how it works now, there is no element of giving the attacker the benefit, if he is just 0.01mm further ahead he is offside. I have no sympathy with those moaning, as everyone in football has been moaning for decades when assistants get offsides wrong by millimetres, but now the technology is there to fix it they don't want it any more. They can't have it both ways.
Also never moaned about mm wrong offside calls.
So I'll carry on moaning thanks 😁

Arsene Wenger's idea is under consideration . . . "If any part of the attacking player's body is in line with the second last opponent the player is not offside"
An interesting start point?

I'm done. It took the disallowing of crying Frank's goal against Germany to push on the introduction of goal line technology and this is the latest in fiascos which will see many turn away from football, unless something is done to make offside easily identifiable to the naked eye from 50m in real time,

I don't agree with that attitude. I didn't call for technology, so not everyone in football was moaning about its absence. Regardless, those who were moaning have been proven wrong. Why does this misapprehension by the masses, preclude us from reversing the damage? The 'tough luck' mentality won't resolve anything
I don't think anyone could've foreseen the mess VAR has caused. The dynamics of the game, the behaviour of its competitors and the challenges of refereeing, simply haven't married together to do anything other than damage the game... with compound interest

Arsene Wenger's idea is under consideration . . . "If any part of the attacking player's body is in line with the second last opponent the player is not offside"
An interesting start point?

Well, it would do absolutely nothing to change anything about VAR controversy. It would only change where the controversial line is drawn.

I think it would make AR job much, much harder. Right now we have to compare the part of each player that is closest to the goal line. The proposed model would require ARs to compare the closest part of the defender to the farthest back part of the attacker. I think that wold be much more challenging.

From a SOTG perspective, I'm utterly unconvinced it would improve the game.

Would be interesting for sure
We've discussed many such ideas. They just move the lines to somewhere else and continue to bore the tits off the spectators in the ground for 3 or 4 minutes whilst they get their microscope out

OK, so when I said everyone in football I wasn't including referees. But for years players, managers, pundits, supporters on fan forums, have criticised assistants for getting the tightest of tight decisions wrong, especially since multiple cameras have been in grounds. Now the very same people don't like that it is done with precision, that's what I don't have sympathy with.

OK, so when I said everyone in football I wasn't including referees. But for years players, managers, pundits, supporters on fan forums, have criticised assistants for getting the tightest of tight decisions wrong, especially since multiple cameras have been in grounds. Now the very same people don't like that it is done with precision, that's what I don't have sympathy with.

Part of the problem is that what coaches and fans really want is for really tight calls against the opposition and spirit of it all on calls against their team. And they don’t care how long it takes to call back a goal against the other team, but it’s only fair against their team if it can be done quickly. Kinda like the partisan way they look at all calls. VAR just intensifies it.

Even now, we have the likes of Arteta calling for VAR to be introduced into the Europa League
I despair!
I think I'm more emotive on the subject than I would otherwise have been, because I'm a referee. The most senior members of my new community are being made to look really clueless by a stupendously ill-thought out process that isn't working. There's relentless criticism of VAR from all angles, so why is the game paralysed and unable to take a huge step back, in order to move forward?

Right, I'm off for a glass of Stout and a lie down 💤

Last edited:
Back