A&H

Palace v Leeds

Rugby league in Aus has one challenge per team per game. The referee also has the option of a review for tries. Not sure about the minor details but it seems to work quite well. That's not to say it did not have its own teething issues early on.

The Referee Store
Rugby league in Aus has one challenge per team per game. The referee also has the option of a review for tries. Not sure about the minor details but it seems to work quite well. That's not to say it did not have its own teething issues early on.
The current iteration of the NFL challenge system gives coaches 2 challenges, with a third granted if the first 2 are correct. But it also automatically reviews certain plays (all scoring plays and turnovers). While I don't think automatically reviewing all goals is a great idea (because not doing that is a big part of how we'll get away from the "toenail offsides"), the idea of having either automatic or referee-initiated reviews for a very specific subset of offences could easily be a part of a challenge system.

The current iteration of the NFL challenge system gives coaches 2 challenges, with a third granted if the first 2 are correct. But it also automatically reviews certain plays (all scoring plays and turnovers). While I don't think automatically reviewing all goals is a great idea (because not doing that is a big part of how we'll get away from the "toenail offsides"), the idea of having either automatic or referee-initiated reviews for a very specific subset of offences could easily be a part of a challenge system.

The NFL also has limits on what can be reviewed. Almost all judgment calls are excluded (the experiment with challenges to pass interference calls was a disaster).

It may eliminate some toe nail OS issues, but not all. On any goal toward the end of the game, the coach has nothing to lose in throwing the review flag. It just means that only some goals will be reviewed for toe nail offside calls. I don't really see that as a big improvement.

IMO the challenge system is much better suited to episodic games such as odd ball and baseball. (But I still hate video review in general, in all sports. Luddites of the world, unite!)

The NFL also has limits on what can be reviewed. Almost all judgment calls are excluded (the experiment with challenges to pass interference calls was a disaster).

It may eliminate some toe nail OS issues, but not all. On any goal toward the end of the game, the coach has nothing to lose in throwing the review flag. It just means that only some goals will be reviewed for toe nail offside calls. I don't really see that as a big improvement.

IMO the challenge system is much better suited to episodic games such as odd ball and baseball. (But I still hate video review in general, in all sports. Luddites of the world, unite!)
The entire concept of pass interference is a disaster - it's actually a surprisingly good analogy to our handball issues!

I didn't go into detail further, but the NFL has 2 potential solutions to the end-of-game issue, both of which I think could easily be adapted to the round-ball game.
First is the fact that any review after the 2-minute warning is initiated by the equivalent of the VAR, not the challenge system. I don't love this rule (because it takes us back to where we are now), but keeping challenges in the hands of the VAR for the last 5 minutes + injury time might at least be a good way to introduce a challenge system initially.
And second, any failed challenge is penalised with the loss of a time out. Obviously we don't have timeouts, but we do have a different limited-use currency: substitutions. You could also limit any challenge to teams that have a substitution remaining, and if the challenge doesn't result in a changed decision, remove the opportunity to make that sub.

Back