A&H

Player giving false name

Nottsman

This happened a few weeks ago, however the FA have just e-mailed me about it.

I booked a player for C4, and he gave me a perfectly plausible name. However, I'm 99% sure that I have cautioned him in a previous match, and it wasn't the name he gave me. I asked him to confirm his name again, and again, gave me the "false" name.

In this league, we don't have team sheets to check the names against.

Would you just carry on, knowing he's given a false name, or get the captain / manager involved?

The Referee Store
My feeling is that this is an issue for the league to sort out - as a referee all that you can do is take the name you're given and send it in, especially if you don't have team sheets. That said, if you are certain (from team sheets or FA full-time/WholeMatch if used) that the name is incorrect you can ask for clarification from the manager (after the game typically) and, either way, submit a separate misconduct report. However, this is going over and above expectations.

I find it laughable that some Leagues still operate a policy whereby the referee isn't given a team sheet prior to the match.

Talk about unaccountability....... :eek:

There's not much you can do unless you're sure.

I once turned up to a game and saw a someone I play cricket with was playing for one of the teams. I noticed he wasn't on the team sheet and spoke to the manager and my friend suddenly developed an injury that stopped him from playing!

I find it laughable that some Leagues still operate a policy whereby the referee isn't given a team sheet prior to the match.

I'm not sure there's much you can do if they plan and put the wrong name on the team sheet and the player gives that name as well.

I was told that if they give an obviously fake name (Daffy Duck for example), the thing to do is write that down and then ask the manager if he'd like to "clarify" after the match - given that the punishment for playing an unregistered player is likely to be more severe than for a caution, he'll probably be happy to correct you. You can try and apply this principal to your situation, but if the manager's in on it too and they have simply given the name of another player who's elsewhere that day, there's not much you can do - even with team sheets.

Cheers guys.

I have never had an issue with this team normally, but this game they decided to act like dicks (1 off for VC too), so I'm just putting it down to something in the water, and let the FA deal with it.

I'm not sure there's much you can do if they plan and put the wrong name on the team sheet and the player gives that name as well.

I was told that if they give an obviously fake name (Daffy Duck for example), the thing to do is write that down and then ask the manager if he'd like to "clarify" after the match - given that the punishment for playing an unregistered player is likely to be more severe than for a caution, he'll probably be happy to correct you. You can try and apply this principal to your situation, but if the manager's in on it too and they have simply given the name of another player who's elsewhere that day, there's not much you can do - even with team sheets.

It's not about affecting what the referee does on the day - team sheets make no difference - players are still sent off or cautioned correctly. It's the post match admin in conjunction with the league and FA that is key ie fines being paid, bans being served etc. All teams have to have their players registered/logged with their respective organistaions anyway and so finding/locating miscreants will always happen ultimately. By making clubs comply with team sheet production, you are:

a. Forcing them to act responsibly around naming their players/numbers and confirming acknowlegement of their eligibility.

and

b. Making it fairly obvious to any League or County FA, which clubs are "in on it" (as you describe)

and

c. Cutting down on the investigative work and admin required to correctly bring miscreants (and their clubs) to heel. :cool:

I booked a player for C4, and he gave me a perfectly plausible name. However, I'm 99% sure that I have cautioned him in a previous match, and it wasn't the name he gave me. I asked him to confirm his name again, and again, gave me the "false" name.

Would you just carry on, knowing he's given a false name, or get the captain / manager involved?

I had exactly this scenario a few weeks ago.

Last 5 mins of a game, called player across to caution for booting ball 60 yards after stopping play. He gave me a perfectly plausible name, but not the name his team-mates had been calling him when he booted the ball away.

Asked the Captain 'what's his name then?' In an assumption manner, got his actual name. Whistled to bring him back, called him by his correct name, second yellow for dissent and sent him off.

Be coy how you ask the question if you ask captain or manager. Assumption means you're more likely to get the real answer.

My view on this is quite simple. Report the name given if nobody will give you the correct one, if you suspect that it's false then also report that. More than likely the CFA will contact the club. If it is a non-registered player name then the CFA will force the club into giving a registered players name. The club will have to give a correct name. Of course, they could nominate a player who is currently away or is registered but does not play anymore, but I don't see what else you can do except for having several of the players all lined up against a board like in a police station.

Last edited:

All you should do is take the name given and continue the game. Submit the name to the CFA though the normal procedures.

Then,
a) contact the CFA separately to report you suspect a false name has been given and your evidence; and

b) contact the league to report you suspect an incorrect player may have played. Then can check via match returns, etc and ask the club for information. An inelgible player can result in fines of up to £100 and the match being repaid.

The CFA and league run with it, don't check false names.

The same applies with Mickey Mouse or other stupid names. CFA's love these as they charge the club with the caution, then with giving a false name (another fine) and potential misconduct reports if it happens too often.

My view on this is quite simple. Report the name given if nobody will give you the correct one, if you suspect that it's false then also report that. More than likely the CFA will contact the club. If it is a non-registered player name then the CFA will force the club into giving a registered players name. The club will have to give a correct name. Of course, they could nominate a player who is currently away or is registered but does not play anymore, but I don't see what else you can do except for having several of the players all lined up against a board like in a police station.

Giving a false name on team sheets is morw difficult with social media. One club has been found out using a false name as the match report had the player scoring a hat-trick, somebody tweeted their congratulations to him, but he replied he was on holiday in Spain......
Team fined for false teamsheets, false match return & 3 points; match was repaid and they had to pay the referee for the repaid match - cost over £100 :):):)

Giving a false name on team sheets is morw difficult with social media. One club has been found out using a false name as the match report had the player scoring a hat-trick, somebody tweeted their congratulations to him, but he replied he was on holiday in Spain......
Team fined for false teamsheets, false match return & 3 points; match was repaid and they had to pay the referee for the repaid match - cost over £100 :):):)

Especially when teams have public Facebook pages specifically for their club, easy pickings to find the correct name.

i wouldnt worry too much, i had someone a few weeks ago give me dissent, and then signalled to the bench to be subbed. i called him back for the caution before he went off and he was laughing when he gave me a completely plasuible name. i asked him to spell it and say it again, so thats the name that went into WHOLEGAME under 'other' as funnily enough the name wasnt on the list. let the club answer to anything that follows, there were enough of his team mates around at the time to correct him, but i'm not going to do a survey every time i get my book out. if it was a mickey mouse scenario then thats different

If this happens again, go to the skipper after about 10 mines and have a quick chat while the ball is out or a joke and then ask him what is number 4s name? 9 times out of 10 he will tell you without thinking.

Then you get a call or email from the County FA saying you need to ask for the name, because otherwise they can't charge the correct player... Been there. :eek:

My response was simple "Falsified team sheet then?" Went down like a lead balloon. :devil:

Then you get a call or email from the County FA saying you need to ask for the name, because otherwise they can't charge the correct player... Been there. :eek:

To caution somebody correctly you always ask for the name anyway. Why wouldn't you?

My reasons for saying that team sheets should be provided isn't so that the ref can just go off of that when he does his admin later. ;)

My response was simple "Falsified team sheet then?" Went down like a lead balloon. :devil:

Exactly my point.
Like I said, it doesn't change what the ref does or doesn't do when issuing a card - it helps to highlight to the CFA which clubs/players are taking the piss. :)

Back