A&H

playing advantage then issuing a straight red for SFP

The Referee Store
It’s allowed, but definitely advised against unless there is a very immediate chance of scoring a goal. I can only imagine that the referees initial thought was that it was only worthy of a caution but was advised differently over comms or something.

It’s allowed, but definitely advised against unless there is a very immediate chance of scoring a goal. I can only imagine that the referees initial thought was that it was only worthy of a caution but was advised differently over comms or something.
The ball was passed through to a winger in a lot of space. Referee might of thought the advantage was huge.

This is my thinking also. I'd be surprised if a level 7 played advantage on a red card in that situation, never mind an EFL referee.

It is less risky now as if the player facing the sanction touches the ball play can be stopped, previously you had the considerable risk that you could play advantage, it breaks down and the player you are about to send off scores or creates a goal.

As others have said though, I don't think the referee thought it was a red card but has had advice in his ear.

I wouldn’t play advantage for SFP unless it was in the box about to score…
Do we all think in the above clip it is SFP or just reckless? I think the referee thinks it’s a reckless tackle initially….

If that's a red card that has to be stopped there. That is not an immediate opportunity to score a goal.
Hard to say from that angle, same as refs really. It does look 2 footed, but of a lunge, AR would have had best view.
The key to advantage on a red card is that the chance to score is immediate. In you own half I fail to see how that's can be considered immediate.

There's an edit point but but it looks like he blows up when attacker is by the corner flag.

Difficult place to recover position from for an attacking drop ball, particularly if they load the box!

Having watched it again it seems pretty clear from his body language that the referee doesn't think it was a red card real time. He was either giving himself thinking time, or someone was in his ear.

The ball was passed through to a winger in a lot of space. Referee might of thought the advantage was huge.
Not a dig at you, just a funny observation, but if you watch the very next highlight after the red card and see the standard of football on display you’ll probably agree that a winger with the ball in his own half isn’t a huge advantage 😂

Not a dig at you, just a funny observation, but if you watch the very next highlight after the red card and see the standard of football on display you’ll probably agree that a winger with the ball in his own half isn’t a huge advantage 😂
Yeah, nothing is really on.

Defo gets it in the ear to send him off.

I think it was at least a half decent advantage situation. The ref is clearly going reckless caution for the challenge otherwise he'd almost certainly have stopped it. Good teamwork with his AR is all I can say about it ....

Back