A&H

Positioning

From the kick off, I always position myself on the left hand side in the half of the team taking the kick (in line with, or just back towards the goal, the rear of the centre circle)

Not a part of the field you would normally frequent on your diagonal, but the thinking behind it is is that the team taking the kick will probably be moving forward, so you also move forward and as you cross the half way line and move into the other half you are now in the right place on your diagonal.

HTH
Jeff

That's the advice in the LOTG 'practical advice' section. Picture has the referee on the left of the team kicking off. I've been trying to do that more myself recently. :)

The Referee Store
If you find yourself in the middle of play the left, left, left advice above and stying wide would help you a lot. It forces you further away from play. It also gives you a better angled view. The optimal distance is 10-15 meters (11 -16.5 yards).

Another common position problem is from goal kick or punts by keeper. Anticipate the drop zone (usually splitting defenders and attackers), and stand about 15 meters to the left of it.

If you find yourself in the middle of play the left, left, left advice above and stying wide would help you a lot. It forces you further away from play. It also gives you a better angled view. The optimal distance is 10-15 meters (11 -16.5 yards).

Another common position problem is from goal kick or punts by keeper. Anticipate the drop zone (usually splitting defenders and attackers), and stand about 15 meters to the left of it.

Just on goal kicks, is it just me that finds in some games, no matter where you stand, the goal keeper seems to aim right for you !! (more so when officiating without ARs)

Yip its as if you suddenly have pulled on his teams shirt and he hits you with pin point accuracy !
Even when you go wider than wide, he then belts it out of play over your head.

Just on goal kicks, is it just me that finds in some games, no matter where you stand, the goal keeper seems to aim right for you !! (more so when officiating without ARs)
I often find up that a specific player always wants to stand in the same spot as me. If I go wider, he seems to as well!

Back