A&H

Potential change to offside

The Referee Store
IFAB does strange things sometimes, but seems to me entirely implausible they would make a radical change like that without a very significant trial. The side effects of such a change are going to be significant.

And those who say it solves the VAR problem are completely delusional—all it changes is where the line of controversy is in VAR reviews.

He's been suggesting it for at least five years. Typical sportsbible rehashed article.

It's impact on VAR is nearly irrelevant as semi-automated technology is coming in anyway

Think they were trialling it in some Dutch youth league.

I hate how 'level' has disappeared...this could bring it back but almost to the other extreme. This solves nothing, as alluded to above. You'll still have mm decisions and it'll become infinitely harder to give offsides without var at all levels

I honestly think that 100% 'correct' offside is impossible with the current technology. Drawing lines on a pixelated image which is already affected by the frame-rate and resolution of the camera plus no way to accurately determine actual moment the ball is kicked.

We need a camera on a rail that follows the ball along the touchline and always looks across the pitch like a virtual AR, plus a sensor to determine the exact moment the ball is passed.

Or we could just go back to the good old days of someone with a flag.

I'm all for more goals.

However, the second it is implemented, we will see pundits losing their mind that someone's heal is in line with the defender.

There doesn’t seem to be any consideration how this would work in a league without VAR. It’s a massive change for officials to get used to, and I would possibly argue that this is harder to see with the naked eye than it is currently.

It also just moves the point that people will be arguing about. Pundits would all be celebrating a change like this, right up until the moment that Gary Neville starts crying because Haaland was ‘onside’ because of his elbow or something equally as stupid.

But will it generate more goals? Or will defenses realize they have to fall back and be less aggressive, resulting in fewer high lines, more bunkering, and fewer goals?
Exactly this. Offside exists to allow defences to push up and take risks - anything that makes offside less likely to be called or less effective just means a "low block" becomes the only effective defensive play.

F_S0k6gXsAApXTI

Just imagine trying to spot whether there is any overlap through a crowd of players...

And nor can any other change. Let's say there's six inches of leeway.... the line is still drawn precisely, just in another place
Struth, Wenger can't be so stupid as to not understand these things. As for those of us who aren't on tele, obviously these stupid ideas make life much harder and reinforce the need for two books. Since I started reffing, IFAB have continually made the game worse. It's an unfit organisation

And nor can any other change. Let's say there's six inches of leeway.... the line is still drawn precisely, just in another place
Struth, Wenger can't be so stupid as to not understand these things. As for those of us who aren't on tele, obviously these stupid ideas make life much harder and reinforce the need for two books. Since I started reffing, IFAB have continually made the game worse. It's an unfit organisation
Every year there seems to be less and less consideration for the majority of the game and more consideration for how to make games look good on TV.

Every year there seems to be less and less consideration for the majority of the game and more consideration for how to make games look good on TV.
I recall there being warning of a slippery slope of the gulf between parks football and the professional game widening even further when VAR was being discussed. It was dismissed, of course, by the majority of people.

An attacker could stick a leg out to stay on side. We could end up with players impersonating synchronised swimmers or ballet dancers FFS

This would destroy football, teams would have to play defensively as they couldn't risk trying to hold a high line. From a refereeing, and therefore controversy, perspective it makes no difference. There will still be lines drawn, it just changes from whether the attacker is ahead of the defender to whether there is a clear gap between attacker and defender. The lines will still be drawn, just in a different place.

VAR can still draw lines.
But at grassroots for NARs this would be much harder to judge IMHO due to the likelihood of more body parts being in line of sight.
At higher levels it would mean completely retraining on (40 years? of) flash lag.
For solo low level referees I think it would be a bit harder to judge.

Overall it’s just awful.

I also note that the rate of change with the laws has been increasing exponentially since 2015 (@Peter Grove could confirm/deny;)) and that means, in addition to the disaster of VAR, an utter catastrophe is due;)

Back