A&H

Pre match chat with teams

Often true - but the same idea of it being a useful headstart still applies, perhaps even more so.

Call them over, say "Remember what we talked about before we started? This is an example of the kind of unacceptable dissent that I was telling you would need to be controlled" and you're already further down the line than you would be if you'd said nothing at the start.
Yes. I agree. This is also where we learn how useful the captain is going to be.
Had in a game recently, few instances of low level dissent. Brought skipper in with one of offending players. Reminded him of his responsibility. He was useless. Next dissent. Bang. Caution. With a shrug of ahoulders to captain as if to say you could have dealt with that and didn't use him again in the game.
Sometimes it goes the other way, and the skipper is sound and sorts it out. But we have to test the water to find that out.

The Referee Store
That's a dangerous approach in my opinion, the first time there is any kind of dissent and you don't caution for it your match control is at risk.
I see where you’re coming from with this, but I have such a low tolerance for dissent that I have no problem cautioning the first person to cross the line. Tends to nip it in the bud

I see where you’re coming from with this, but I have such a low tolerance for dissent that I have no problem cautioning the first person to cross the line. Tends to nip it in the bud
It depends what your ambitions are. If you want to go to higher levels it won't even be possible to speak to the players before the game, apart from the captains at the toss, so you'd be as well stopping doing it now.

It depends what your ambitions are. If you want to go to higher levels it won't even be possible to speak to the players before the game, apart from the captains at the toss, so you'd be as well stopping doing it now.
I only speak to the captains before the game (other than saying hello to the managers). I’ve never addressed a full team - feels weird and looks weird.

Edit: apologies if I was unclear earlier. At the toss I let the captains know that I have a low tolerance for dissent and ask them to manage their players if possible, nothing else.

But also I have no ambitions on going higher than I am.

We speak to both head coaches separately pregame to get captains numbers, anything unusual they might throw into the mix play wise during the game and ask if they want anything clarified from previous games.

At the coin toss, introduce the full set of officials to the captains, remind them of their responsibility to help control players if they start to get wound up etc, toss the coin and away we go.

My favourite line to both coaches and captains “Talk to me like this and I’ll happily answer any questions. We‘ll try to get you an answer - but it might not be straight away”

New member and a small bit of background. Did my course in October last year after several years of coach/parent reffing at U11s and below. Refereed about 30 or so youth games now, all at U16s or below.

As an alternative view, I always have a chat with both sets of players beforehand whilst checking their boots and ensuring that they're not wearing any jewellery, except in lower level development games where it's just not needed, in which case it's just a brief chat with the coaches whilst introducing myself. Thus far, without fail the coaches have all said they appreciated it and wish it happened more often, and post-match feedback from players/parents watching has been universally positive.

I do appreciate that this might only be appropriate for youth level football. I'm refereeing my first men's game on Friday evening (friendly vets game ahead of the start of a spring/summer league), so whilst I'll keep doing what I'm doing at youth level, based on what I've read here will change my approach on Friday and only chat to the captains and coaches.

I think the advice given previously in this thread still stands.

I used to do the same as you and didn't really understand being told not to - but then you start running lines for referees who don't do this and realise that even at fairly low levels of the ladder, teams will have established warm-up processes and there will be a number of things you and your assistants need to do as well. There just isn't a gap built in for a chat with the entire team, wheras there is a very specific point where captains expect to be talked at for ~30 seconds.

Age is a factor too - I think you might find some benefits from doing this with kids, but probably less so at OA and I'd suggest it will be actively harmful at Vets! They're not going to change habits of a lifetime because of something you've said to them pre-match, and if you come off as over-officious or out of touch, that's them losing confidence in you before you've even started.

I don't do this myself but I've seen a couple of refs say to the skippers at the coin toss, "If one of your players starts getting chirpy it's better for you and him if you speak to him before I do." That sounds sensible and usually gets a nod of approval from the captains.

I don't do this myself but I've seen a couple of refs say to the skippers at the coin toss, "If one of your players starts getting chirpy it's better for you and him if you speak to him before I do." That sounds sensible and usually gets a nod of approval from the captains.
I say something like that at the toss "if any of your players start getting out of hand get hold of them before I have to and hopefully we can keep the cards away. If I do call you in when I speak to a player please try to reinforce my message, don't add fuel to the fire by disagreeing with me". That usually gets appreciative responses, although of course with many captains you just know it has gone in one ear and straight out of the other.

I think the advice given previously in this thread still stands.

I used to do the same as you and didn't really understand being told not to - but then you start running lines for referees who don't do this and realise that even at fairly low levels of the ladder, teams will have established warm-up processes and there will be a number of things you and your assistants need to do as well. There just isn't a gap built in for a chat with the entire team, wheras there is a very specific point where captains expect to be talked at for ~30 seconds.

Age is a factor too - I think you might find some benefits from doing this with kids, but probably less so at OA and I'd suggest it will be actively harmful at Vets! They're not going to change habits of a lifetime because of something you've said to them pre-match, and if you come off as over-officious or out of touch, that's them losing confidence in you before you've even started.
Thank you, and don't worry I won't be doing it on Friday (and am only doing a vets game as a favour to a friend) outside of speaking to captains/coaches, which will very much be "better you manage them than me" as this was hammered home to us at the refs course.

I do suspect it only works at youth level and, even then, only to a certain level where the captain is more symbolic than having an active role. Completely understand about the "window" which is why I do it whilst checking their boots and jewellery, so it's not really taking any additional time. Also, as you come across the same teams quite regular it's a much quicker reminder second, third time etc.

What I do find interesting though is coaches (even up to U14 and U15, including academy teams) really welcomed it and said they wished it happened more, and it certainly appears to help (done about 30 or more youth games now).

What do you say to the teams before the match? I keep switching my pre match patter and am not sure of the best version yet.
"You're captains for a reason. If I speak to one of your players about dissent then shut them up before they earn themselves 10 minutes in the bin. Heads or tails".

Something similar to that. Anything you say is a rod for your own back, I just remind them that they've been chosen as a leader (to build a little raport) and thats it. Saying nothing just seems weird and a missed opportunity to form some kind of relationship but saying anything of substance can be a minefield.

"You're captains for a reason. If I speak to one of your players about dissent then shut them up before they earn themselves 10 minutes in the bin. Heads or tails".

Something similar to that. Anything you say is a rod for your own back, I just remind them that they've been chosen as a leader (to build a little raport) and thats it. Saying nothing just seems weird and a missed opportunity to form some kind of relationship but saying anything of substance can be a minefield.
Totally understand that, and certainly won't be doing it in open age games (not that I have much interest in that).

Ask the captains names, call the coin toss, tell them to play to my whistle and have a good game.

So one has to talk to teams?
Not very many referees talk to the teams as a whole if that’s what you mean?
The jewellery thing is split. Some refs line everyone up and check it- some take a look around in the warm up to spot if there is any jewellery and some may just ask the managers to make sure no one has any on if that’s what you mean?

Others have already made good comments here so I won't restate anything. Agree with most of it.

I will say pre-game talks are a great time to flex on teams with your confidence. Coaches, captains should come away from pre-game thinking: "this ref's on top of things."

Game-management starts when you step on the pitch.

Back