A&H

Pre-match 'dissent' - Last weeks ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
As an observer it depends on the competition and potentially the level of the referee. If it is a level 7 refereeing the Dog & Duck vs the Frog and Parrott on Hackney Marshes then I will tell him not to worry about sock tape and under things. I want to see his normal game, not one where his match control has been destroyed before he even blew a whistle. Chances are the two teams will have the same shorts / socks anyway, or even each team having a mixture, so that law is a farce. If I'm seeing a 5-4 candidate on a supply league non-marking division then that changes and I will expect it to be dealt with in strict accordance with law.

The above only applies to tape and undergarments, as these being incorrect isn't going to hurt anyone. The same cannot be said about jewellery so I want that dealt with at all levels.

Incorrect undergarments or tape is only a minor development (usually not even on the report) at L2B/L4 unless it results in a major mistake.

Out of interest, Sunday league game, both teams turn up. One red, one blue shirts. But both have black shorts and socks and no different to change into. What you doing?
At grassroots, I'd play the game. If it was the first division (they consider themselves the best in the league) I'd have a whinge about it and see if they can change it but I's still play the game.

One for you. Same shorts and socks, but each team has two different coloured shirts but different to the other team (a mix of their home and away jerseys) say one is red and white, the other is blue and green. Nothing in the competition rules about it. What would you do?

Unfortunately there are referees out there who like to cut their own detail, and in the 3.5 years I've been watching my wife play football I can count the number of kit checks and pitch checks they've had on one hand.

Hah, this Saturday just gone drew comments from the home team that they'd "not seen a referee do a warm up before!" :eek:

Ouch, do your warm up lads. Spare the injuries! :)

One for you. Same shorts and socks, but each team has two different coloured shirts but different to the other team (a mix of their home and away jerseys) say one is red and white, the other is blue and green. Nothing in the competition rules about it. What would you do?
No, definitely not, a bridge too far.

The point I was making was regarding black tape and white socks v black socks. Sounds like quite happily force players to remove the tape but happily go ahead with same shorts and socks. Probably a bad comparison in hindsight.

If I am doing a game where tape might be a problem, generally supply league or over, if its not the right colour explain the issue is wearing it on the outside and they can quite happily wear it underneath.

I think as referees we can sometimes go looking for problems that dont exist. Tape being one of them, particularly parks football on a Sunday morning. You're lucky if they all have matching shorts and socks without finding fault with the equipment they DO have..

If teams have the same colour socks I make it abundantly clear that I won't be making any apologies if I get throw-ins, GKs and corners, and even fouls and penalties wrong. I'll be looking at the legs so if I can tell which is different I will be guessing.

If teams have the same colour socks I make it abundantly clear that I won't be making any apologies if I get throw-ins, GKs and corners, and even fouls and penalties wrong. I'll be looking at the legs so if I can tell which is different I will be guessing.
I was going to add this info higher up but basically, if its social football (which is what the majority of Sunday League is), then make allowances. Anyone pushing for promotion to L4 needs to do it right. By that time, they should have a few one liners in their armoury to deal with the occasional errant tape applicator.

Adopting a bored stance when the complaints start and a fed up tone of voice when they speak of LWR makes life easier sometimes...

Hah, this Saturday just gone drew comments from the home team that they'd "not seen a referee do a warm up before!" :eek:

I had the best intentions of warming up on Sunday, only to spend 20 minutes telling the home team to sort the pitch out and fill all the rutted holes in - good old SL problems!

I like a good warm up, but there are occasions where it’s not possible, or not practical.

The only times I have ever picked up injuries either during or after a match have been when I’ve warmed up.

I like a good warm up, but there are occasions where it’s not possible, or not practical.

The only times I have ever picked up injuries either during or after a match have been when I’ve warmed up.
Is there a chance you might be doing it wrong, as that would seem to fly in the face of like every sportswotsit ever?

Locally, they always said tha @Mintyref was a well rounded referee, I’m not sure if they meant his skill level, his figure, or his control path! 🤔

Jewelry removal is a must. Can be dangerous and rightly so, you should insist is removed and not only covered.

As for tape on socks, LOTG do also reference the 'spirit of the game'. Was tape going to significantly impact this match? At high level it is understandable as teams and leagues have an image to uphold. At low level parks Sunday league games, I have had assessors who have insisted we as referees shouldn't be so picky and should apply common sense. If it was an FA competition then yes as the level of football and therefore expectations of the teams and scutiny of such thing increase significantly.

Its not about not wanting hassle or club marks but about understanding and picking your battles. How many clubs do you know at sunday league level who have multiple coloured tapes at their disposal? Would you rather have wrong coloured tape or shinpad showing? In law your right and thats not your problem but common sense is allowed!

Is there a chance you might be doing it wrong, as that would seem to fly in the face of like every sportswotsit ever?

No, I thinks it’s just crappy council pitches, normally it’s pulling something when turning to follow a quick counter attack.

Due to a previous injury I do seem to be prone to little niggles like pulled muscles, knee pain etc.

I'd play the match, but I'd also be reporting the team that was supposed to have the spare kit (you should know which team is required to have the spare kit in the competition rules).
The same socks makes it extremely difficult to tell who kicked it out - I've been on the line for this and sometimes it was completely impossible.
I remember being on the line for a ref who, very reluctantly, agreed to play a game on a somewhat clashing kit: he advised the players that it's against his better judgement but he knows everyone is there and ready to play (ref is telling the players he's doing them a favour, this is a good tactic!) and if so much as hears a suggestion of an argument based around the ref/AR getting the teams mixed up, the card will come out immediately. He actually threatened that if the arguments keep going, he'll just abandon because of the kit clash :)

Shorts I don't really care about, but the socks are a pretty big one, almost as big as the jersey (identical socks are probably worse than 'close' jerseys)
We have a ref here in Cape Town who officiates at the equivalent of UK Sunday League (Division 93!!), and who considers the FIFA ROTG in the same way that a religious nutcase believes the Bible is 100% true and accurate. Given that many players at this low level (here in the local amateur leagues) can hardly afford to buy a pair of socks, I was flabbergasted when he told a player to leave the field and remove a pair of dark blue cycling shorts and put on "proper" dark blue shorts if he wished to continue. Rightly or wrongly I try and be as accommodating as possible when it comes to reffing in economic deprived areas (of which there are a lot here). I accept that, the higher the standard, then the more I would enforce the dress code but to deprive a player because he simply can't afford the basic kit is reprehensible in my opinion. I am fortunate because I am financially secure (not wealthy) in comparison to most of the players of the teams I referee. I do not take a fee for refereeing as I consider it a privilege to still be able to do it.

Given that many players at this low level (here in the local amateur leagues) can hardly afford to buy a pair of socks, I was flabbergasted when he told a player to leave the field and remove a pair of dark blue cycling shorts and put on "proper" dark blue shorts if he wished to continue.

Bit ridiculous that!

I guess the clubs don't provide the kits over there then? At grassroots here it seems local businesses sponsor kits - I was quite surprised at how active they are in this respect, though I don't know if players have to contribute to it somehow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back