A&H

Pre match instructions

Xavier

Hi,
I have my first ever game on Saturday with neutral assistants. I know a big part of working as a team Is the pre-match instructions. As I have never done it I don't know what exactly I should tell them. Can someone please guide me on the list of things I should mention or a document that has it all on there
Thanks

The Referee Store
There are a few threads as noted above. I used to be guilty of the long linear pre match covering all restarts, but have really stripped it back recently.

Edit - Forgot Senior/Junior

Firstly identify your Senior AR.

Senior AR - Full match record, including goals. You manage the technical areas, 2 standing, 1 giving instructions. Subs are yours and have them warming up opposite AR2 not behind you. If you need me to come over I'm happy to give a telling off, but if I'm over a second time, someone is getting a card.
Sin Bins (if in operation) I'm managing the timing.
Blood Injuries - you will check them at a stoppage in play before they return to the pitch.

Junior AR - Eyes and Ears only unless misconduct on your say so. Emphasize importance of them having eyes on pitch if me and AR1 are in our notebooks, as we don't want to miss any potential misconduct.

I emphasise 2 things at the start of the main part of the brief:

1) Accurate identification of KMD's
2) Credibility

I then briefly cover the following:

1) GK in possession - either no attackers around the next KMD is likely to be ball coming back for offside, OR if there are attackers in vicinity the potential KMD's are attacker infringment in which case we want to penalize quickly before they score and start celebrating or them gaining possession legally and potential defensive infringements such as DOGSO (KMD accuracy, Credibility)

2) Eyes on me for all throw ins, even in their 3rd where I'd want them to lead in case I've spotted a flick they haven't. If I have I'll be giving them a lead. Outside of their third, I'll typically lead, but if I'm unsure I'll be looking across for their input - if neither of us are sure, we go defensive. (Credibility)

3) Delayed flag on offside decisions to ensure its the player in the offside position then committing offence (avoids messy decisions with secondary runners from deep). Only time I want a quick flag is 1-1 with keeper where potential for a clash. (KMD accuracy, Credibility)

4) Free kicks - I define their credibility area (typically to the edge of the penalty area and about 10 yards into opponents half) and ask them to look at my positioning before giving me anything outside of that area. I also ask them to match my tolerance for little pushes and pulls for consistency (Credibility)

5) Penalty kicks - I want first bite at all penalties, I'll invite you in if I want your input - emphasise worst case is me waving a shout away and AR flagging for it which kills our match control. Also if there is a quick break the AR is likely best placed to identify the marginal inside/outside the box. Help me by either going to the corner flag for a penalty or a few steps towards halfway for free kick. Emphasize importance of this as it's potentially difference between a yellow and a red card (KMD accuracy, Credibility)

6) Mass con - take a position to get a view. When we come together please give me Shirt Colour, Shirt Number, Offence Committed and Recommended Sanction e.g Red 7 has punched opponent, so VC, Send Off. (KMD, Credibility)

Final point I always make is to enjoy it!

Last edited:
There are a few threads as noted above. I used to be guilty of the long linear pre match covering all restarts, but have really stripped it back recently.

I emphasise 2 main things at the start

1) Accurate identification of KMD's
2) Credibility

I then briefly cover the following:

1) GK in possession - either no attackers around the next KMD is likely to be ball coming back for offside, OR if there are attackers in vicinity the potential KMD's are attacker infringment in which case we want to penalize quickly before they score and start celebrating or them gaining possession legally and potential defensive infringements such as DOGSO (KMD accuracy, Credibility)

2) Eyes on me for all throw ins, even in their 3rd where I'd want them to lead in case I've spotted a flick they haven't. If I have I'll be giving them a lead. Outside of their third, I'll typically lead, but if I'm unsure I'll be looking across for their input - if neither of us are sure, we go defensive. (Credibility)

3) Delayed flag on offside decisions to ensure its the player in the offside position then committing offence (avoids messy decisions with secondary runners from deep). Only time I want a quick flag is 1-1 with keeper where potential for a clash. (KMD accuracy, Credibility)

4) Free kicks - I define their credibility area (typically to the edge of the penalty area and about 10 yards into opponents half) and ask them to look at my positioning before giving me anything outside of that area. I also ask them to match my tolerance for little pushes and pulls for consistency (Credibility)

5) Penalty kicks - I want first bite at all penalties, I'll invite you in if I want your input - emphasise worst case is me waving a shout away and AR flagging for it which kills our match control. Also if there is a quick break the AR is likely best placed to identify the marginal inside/outside the box. Help me by either going to the corner flag for a penalty or a few steps towards halfway for free kick. Emphasize importance of this as it's potentially difference between a yellow and a red card (KMD accuracy, Credibility)

6) Mass con - take a position to get a view. When we come together please give me Shirt Colour, Shirt Number, Offence Committed and Recommended Sanction e.g Red 7 has punched opponent, so VC, Send Off. (KMD, Credibility)

Final point I always make is to enjoy it!
Bang!
Teamwork! Credibility! Enjoyment! Get these 3 things right we should make it home happy.

Teamwork = ball out of play, fouls and misconduct, please look at me before you raise the flag. Am I giving you information. Am I looking for information from you. Have I already communicated a decision eg no foul.

Credibility = who is the best placed match official and who does the game expect to make the decision. When that's you, please get involved but please remember teamwork. Credible zones are flexible, which is why I want you to look at me if I am 30 yards away and you are 10, you're in, if I am 10 and you are 30 chances are it's me.

Enjoyment = that's what we are here for. Smile at me, smile at the players, and keep smiling. If I'm scowling, remind me to smile. Look like we are enjoy g it and hopefully this can rub off on the players.

Then it's the usual

Offside, fouls and misconduct, penalties, mass con and they all link back to the 2 credibility and teamwork.

I think one thing that I Don't seem to have seen is to offer the opportunity to ask questions at the end.

Subs are yours and have them warming up opposite AR2 not behind you.
I don't know if this is a regional thing, but I generally see the opposite instruction - have them warm up behind the AR. Gives them more control over what's going on and if they're up the other end, they're in the eyeline of AR2 when he's trying to make an offside call. Given at low levels they're likely wearing a bib or club-coloured tracksuit top, I'm always happier as AR2 when I hear the instruction to warm up behind the AR.

Reactions: one
I don't know if this is a regional thing, but I generally see the opposite instruction - have them warm up behind the AR. Gives them more control over what's going on and if they're up the other end, they're in the eyeline of AR2 when he's trying to make an offside call. Given at low levels they're likely wearing a bib or club-coloured tracksuit top, I'm always happier as AR2 when I hear the instruction to warm up behind the AR.
At most step 3/4/5 grounds there just isn't the room to have them behind you.

For got to add I think it is down to the league's normally. I know when couppe of years ago one step 5 league said behind AR and the step 3/4 league said opposite so you always had to be mindful of what level you were reffing at.

At most step 3/4/5 grounds there just isn't the room to have them behind you.
This and also if they are warming up directly behind the AR you've got greater potential for them to start causing problems for the AR (dissent, OFFINABUS etc). Having them away from the AR's means if they really want to get involved in something, it's public and obvious.

For me and @Justylove it's a league directive that they must either use the touchline opposite AR2, or any spare ground behind the barriers.

This and also if they are warming up directly behind the AR you've got greater potential for them to start causing problems for the AR (dissent, OFFINABUS etc). Having them away from the AR's means if they really want to get involved in something, it's public and obvious.
Conversely, if they're warming up at the other end, you've got a greater chance of one player punching another and no official even noticing it's happened.

Pros and cons to each approach certainly - my point to the OP would be to check if it's specified in league rules and if not, go with the norm in that league from the experience you hopefully have on the line. For your first NAR middle, you want your NAR's to be comfortable and doing what they're used to so that you don't have to worry about them - if you want to try something different, save it for game 5+!

Most pitches are tight, so I prefer the subs to warm-up opposite AR2 so as not to obstruct AR1 (especially as I've been AR1 countless times this season)

Conversely, if they're warming up at the other end, you've got a greater chance of one player punching another and no official even noticing it's happened.

Pros and cons to each approach certainly - my point to the OP would be to check if it's specified in league rules and if not, go with the norm in that league from the experience you hopefully have on the line. For your first NAR middle, you want your NAR's to be comfortable and doing what they're used to so that you don't have to worry about them - if you want to try something different, save it for game 5+!
If it's in league rules (but none of the leagues I've ever officiated in state they warm up behind AR 1), then follow them for certain.

However, I disagree there's Pros and Cons for 2 reasons:

1) Having them warm up opposite AR 2 means that you will always have a match official have the subs in peripheral vision. If they are behind AR1 then a lot of the time no-one will have any eyes on them at all as the AR will be focused on the FOP.
2) Play the percentages. What is the more likely to happen, a substitute punching another one with no warning and no prior confrontation that is noticed OR one of the substitutes saying something to the AR1 that leads to them getting the referee over and having to issue a sanction?

As a referee I want no surprises, I certainly don't want to be having to send a player off for saving said something that only my AR has heard (though I will if it happens), so having them warming up away from where they could say something is by far the safest option.

If it's in league rules (but none of the leagues I've ever officiated in state they warm up behind AR 1), then follow them for certain.

However, I disagree there's Pros and Cons for 2 reasons:

1) Having them warm up opposite AR 2 means that you will always have a match official have the subs in peripheral vision. If they are behind AR1 then a lot of the time no-one will have any eyes on them at all as the AR will be focused on the FOP.
2) Play the percentages. What is the more likely to happen, a substitute punching another one with no warning and no prior confrontation that is noticed OR one of the substitutes saying something to the AR1 that leads to them getting the referee over and having to issue a sanction?

As a referee I want no surprises, I certainly don't want to be having to send a player off for saving said something that only my AR has heard (though I will if it happens), so having them warming up away from where they could say something is by far the safest option.
I can't help feeling like your points 1 and 2 represent two different philosophies. You're arguing for putting the subs in a position where for a significant portion of the match, the only person with eyes on them will be AR2, but against putting them in a position where AR1 might be the only one who is aware of an issue.

Given that conflict, I'd rather a) keep them out of the eyeline of AR2 who's trying to make offside calls and b) have them in a position where AR1 is more able to intervene if anything does happen. General refereeing principals are that we should work to be close to incidents and while I get that it can be useful to be conveniently ignorant of "minor" dissent and OFFINABUS

I'm not actually that bothered by this as a centre ref (I have stronger opinions as AR). It's just interesting to me that in my experience, behind AR1 is typically first preference, at their own end is typically second preference (so they basically stay away from each other) and your preferred option is typically the least preferred in what I've seen. I do understand the arguments and there will be logistical occasions where there's no space behind the AR, but barring that, putting players near officials is generally preferred.

I can't help feeling like your points 1 and 2 represent two different philosophies. You're arguing for putting the subs in a position where for a significant portion of the match, the only person with eyes on them will be AR2, but against putting them in a position where AR1 might be the only one who is aware of an issue.

Given that conflict, I'd rather a) keep them out of the eyeline of AR2 who's trying to make offside calls and b) have them in a position where AR1 is more able to intervene if anything does happen. General refereeing principals are that we should work to be close to incidents and while I get that it can be useful to be conveniently ignorant of "minor" dissent and OFFINABUS

I'm not actually that bothered by this as a centre ref (I have stronger opinions as AR). It's just interesting to me that in my experience, behind AR1 is typically first preference, at their own end is typically second preference (so they basically stay away from each other) and your preferred option is typically the least preferred in what I've seen. I do understand the arguments and there will be logistical occasions where there's no space behind the AR, but barring that, putting players near officials is generally preferred.
Nope no conflict whatsoever.

Placing them opposite AR2 means there is going to be someone looking in that general direction for the majority of the time. It's not a distraction for the AR on offside as they will be wearing tops or bins that clearly distinguish them from the active players. Also AR's have to deal with spectators sat/stood opposite them in the vast majority of their games.

You put them behind AR1 and whilst there is proximity, for the vast majority of the time AR1 will have their back to them.

In the event of serious misconduct, one of two things will have happened before the misconduct takes place:

1) The offending player commits the offence with zero prior warning or words exchanged.
2) There is some form of exchange in the build up which then leads to the misconduct.

In scenario 1 - parked behind AR1, they won't see it as they are facing the FOP, whereas being in the eyeline of AR2 gives a chance to identify it.

In scenario 2 - AR1 hears something going on behind them, and either ignores it or turns round to see what's going on. You could have a situation where at the point there is a bit of a disagreement AR1 is distracted just as they should be focused on a KMD.

The other point you made about conveniently ignoring minor dissent and OFFINABUS. We're basically telling the AR1 to take it from the player and not rock the boat, when the option is don't put your AR in that position in the first place.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I'm glad having the subs behind your AR1 works for you when you have a choice!

For pyramid football they're supposed to warm-up opposite the junior assistant this was standardised a few years ago.
Could've imagined it!

Step 3-6 Referee/Assistant Referees
Match Officials Update

Substitutes Warming Up
Substitutes for all competitions should warm up in the half of the field opposite to AR1 (left of the
technical area).
Bibs which distinguish the substitutes from the players must be worn.

Back