A&H

Promotion to Level 6

alexv

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
I’ve just completed my 5 games and have been promoted to L7. I really want to get promoted to L6 as soon as I can, but feel like I need a few more games before I referee adult football (mainly down to nerves). I feel like a whole year is too long to wait, but I’m really unsure whether to apply for promotion this season or next. Any advice?

The Referee Store
I’ve just completed my 5 games and have been promoted to L7. I really want to get promoted to L6 as soon as I can, but feel like I need a few more games before I referee adult football (mainly down to nerves). I feel like a whole year is too long to wait, but I’m really unsure whether to apply for promotion this season or next. Any advice?
Promotion seasons run April to March, so I'd suggest that applying now with the intent of starting in April is probably not a bad idea? Typically they will want you to have ~20 games under your belt before starting promotion - so getting those done between now and April, and then starting promotion at that point is what I'd be recommending.

Promotion seasons run April to March, so I'd suggest that applying now with the intent of starting in April is probably not a bad idea? Typically they will want you to have ~20 games under your belt before starting promotion - so getting those done between now and April, and then starting promotion at that point is what I'd be recommending.
That sounds good, thank you. What sort of level should I look for, for starting out with adults. I’m 18 with no adult experience, so a rough Sunday league OA game would put me out of my depth; I’m not too worried about my decision making (that’ll only get better with time anyway), I’m mainly worried about my match control with adults.

That sounds good, thank you. What sort of level should I look for, for starting out with adults. I’m 18 with no adult experience, so a rough Sunday league OA game would put me out of my depth; I’m not too worried about my decision making (that’ll only get better with time anyway), I’m mainly worried about my match control with adults.
Unfortunately, the way to get to the games with decent footballers who want to play the game rather than kick each other, is to work your way through the ranks and gain experience with the players that do want to be kicking each other!

But on the other hand, a lot of it's down to luck. My match yesterday was in my local step 7 premier division and it turned into a real tough match when the losing team started getting frustrated. On the other hand, I've had some dream matches on Sunday morning - and more often than not, you have no idea what you're going to get on the day.

I'd suggest chatting to your RDO - he should be able to recommend some local leagues with good referee secretaries who will be able to give you theoretically good matches to start off.

Unfortunately, the way to get to the games with decent footballers who want to play the game rather than kick each other, is to work your way through the ranks and gain experience with the players that do want to be kicking each other!

But on the other hand, a lot of it's down to luck. My match yesterday was in my local step 7 premier division and it turned into a real tough match when the losing team started getting frustrated. On the other hand, I've had some dream matches on Sunday morning - and more often than not, you have no idea what you're going to get on the day.

I'd suggest chatting to your RDO - he should be able to recommend some local leagues with good referee secretaries who will be able to give you theoretically good matches to start off.
Thanks for your help. Do you recommend getting a few games as an AR in OA football before I ref?

To go for promotion you will need to referee open age football as only games at U16 and older are eligible for observation, and at least 70% of the 20 games you need to referee must be in open age football (so only 30% or 6 can be U17 or U18).

Getting in games as AR may help your confidence, but not that many grass roots leagues routinely appoint ARs. As Graeme says, speaking to your RDO may be the best way forward.

To go for promotion you will need to referee open age football as only games at U16 and older are eligible for observation, and at least 70% of the 20 games you need to referee must be in open age football (so only 30% or 6 can be U17 or U18).

Getting in games as AR may help your confidence, but not that many grass roots leagues routinely appoint ARs. As Graeme says, speaking to your RDO may be the best way forward.
Thank you!

I believe there is a requirement of doing one full season before applying for promotion (could be wrong though). I wouldn't be too hasty about wanting to rise the ranks. It's better to gain the experience and consolidate yourself at each level I think.

I've just started OA this season at the age of 20 and after 4 seasons doing youth games. I would say go for it. Get in touch with your local league, explain your situation and they'll put you on a game. Usually the refs secretary is experienced, knows the teams and will give you nice games to start with.

Your confidence will grow as time goes on, it's normal to be apprehensive about controlling 22 fully grown blokes (especially if you're only 5'6'' like me). The main thing I've found is just talking to them helps no end, have a chat before the game, be proactive before a challenge happens (e.g. "go easy in the back number 6", at corners "no holding as we run in please lads", throw-ins "hands down as we jump please") they've then got no defence when you pull them up for it.

Today I had players genuinely surprised that I turned up 30 minutes before ko to check the pitch and that I did a warm up. Little things like that get the players slightly on board at least before you've even started and show you actually want to be there.

In the 6 men's games I've had so far this season I've found that the some of the player's are a bit mouthy and require a stern word early on, some will question you but if you're honest and explain yourself they'll leave you alone but the overwhelming majority just want to get on and play football with their mates.

Good luck with it!

In sure this has been asked 100 times on here but how do you put yourself forward for promotion? Is is simply contacting your RDO? I've done a full year of adult football and this is my 2nd season

In sure this has been asked 100 times on here but how do you put yourself forward for promotion? Is is simply contacting your RDO? I've done a full year of adult football and this is my 2nd season
You should have had an option when re-registering on WGS to indicate that you wanted to go for promotion. Many Counties now charge an extra fee with registration if you do decide to make the step up. This is to contribute towards the fee paid to the observers who will come out to watch you. My County gives you free registration the following season if you successfully gain promotion.

You should have had an option when re-registering on WGS to indicate that you wanted to go for promotion. Many Counties now charge an extra fee with registration if you do decide to make the step up. This is to contribute towards the fee paid to the observers who will come out to watch you. My County gives you free registration the following season if you successfully gain promotion.

It's more of a deposit than a fee, the FA call it an administration fee. From rule 4(b) ..

The Parent Association may charge promotion candidates an administration fee (the maximum sum to be determined from time to time by The Association); the administration fee will be refunded to candidates who complete the promotion process, regardless of whether or not they are promoted.

It has to be refunded as long as they complete the promotion process even if they are then not promoted. It can only be withheld if they withdraw mid-promotion season, get removed for rule breaches, etc.

I believe there is a requirement of doing one full season before applying for promotion (could be wrong though). I wouldn't be too hasty about wanting to rise the ranks. It's better to gain the experience and consolidate yourself at each level I think.

I've just started OA this season at the age of 20 and after 4 seasons doing youth games. I would say go for it. Get in touch with your local league, explain your situation and they'll put you on a game. Usually the refs secretary is experienced, knows the teams and will give you nice games to start with.

Your confidence will grow as time goes on, it's normal to be apprehensive about controlling 22 fully grown blokes (especially if you're only 5'6'' like me). The main thing I've found is just talking to them helps no end, have a chat before the game, be proactive before a challenge happens (e.g. "go easy in the back number 6", at corners "no holding as we run in please lads", throw-ins "hands down as we jump please") they've then got no defence when you pull them up for it.

Today I had players genuinely surprised that I turned up 30 minutes before ko to check the pitch and that I did a warm up. Little things like that get the players slightly on board at least before you've even started and show you actually want to be there.

In the 6 men's games I've had so far this season I've found that the some of the player's are a bit mouthy and require a stern word early on, some will question you but if you're honest and explain yourself they'll leave you alone but the overwhelming majority just want to get on and play football with their mates.

Good luck with it!
I’m also about 5’6/7 which was my concerns😂. I’ll speak with my RDO and a few other young refs at my young referees’ meeting with Lee Betts about it and try to get some more information. I really want to progress but of course it might be more beneficial to wait a bit. Thank you!

Referees who have been actively refereeing for a season after completing their course exam (and are qualified) and are aged 16 and over can apply for Promotion
This is what @Kieran W was referring to
For this reason, I delayed my application even though I'd easily completed enough games
@alexv , my advice would be, don't rush

My RDO sends an email in February each year asking for promotion applications. Contact yours around then to see what the process is in your County

Referees who have been actively refereeing for a season after completing their course exam (and are qualified) and are aged 16 and over can apply for Promotion
This is what @Kieran W was referring to
For this reason, I delayed my application even though I'd easily completed enough games
@alexv , my advice would be, don't rush
I believe my course started last January. Does that mean I’ll have to wait another season on top of this one? I do need to get more experience though

Taken from this year's FA Handbook:
(e) A Level 7 Referee must officiate as a Referee in a minimum of 20 games in one registration period before applying for promotion. No Affiliated Association may impose any other qualification periods which cause delayed passage through the promotion pyramid.

Registration runs from 1st June to 31st May, so as long as you've ref'd 20 games before 1st March 2019, you can apply for promotion in the next upcoming period.

Based on what you've posted above, I'd say you need to wait.

Promotion is based on your progression, experience and ability to handle whatever issues the games applicable to your level (or the one above in your case) throw at you.

If, by your own admission you're not yet comfortable with or able to do "adult" football then why on earth you'd feel that you merit promotion (based on what? is a mystery to me (?). Not being obnoxious Alex but perhaps you're attempting to run before you can walk(?).

At your age, time is on your side mate. Referee some adult football and get that confidence and match control nailed first.

If you don't quite feel you're ready - you ain't. ;) :)

In my county, it was required you had to of done 20 games in the previous promotion season before applying for promotion. Not sure if all or 70% had to be open age. Dont rush for promotion, but at the same time if you can go for promotion do! Dont be pressured by it but it will mean you get the chance to be observed and your performance monitored. As long as your relaxed by this then it can be used to develop. If you fall short of promotion at first attempt you can go again and learn from the observers comments. The promotion scheme is there to aid development at lower levels as well as push you to progress further. Speak to your RDO to decide whether it will suite you.

Back