A&H

QFK?

Yes, I had an issue like this in one of my first games. I started bringing the wall back, and had pointed at my whistle and told the kicker to wait for my whistle. As I was walking the wall back, he took the kick (and scored), and the defenders argued that he already took the kick and started to line up for a kick-off..
Can't argue with stupid lol.

The Referee Store
The video that prompted this thread is the epitome of a true quick free kick in the attacking 3rd.

Attacker is fouled, second player gets the ball, ensures it's stopped and in the right place before quickly slipping it through to attacker 3 who scores.

For me a quick free kick is one where the referee is not having to get involved proactively, no intervention to get players away, maybe only a quick "yes" if the player says "can I play ref?" As a referee you need to ensure its in the right spot and also the ball is stationery when the kick is taken, but that's it.

The moment you've got to start managing the situation by shouting to get players away, or manage treatment for players then the opportunity to go quick is lost.
Totally agree. It's one of those great occasions when the referee isn't needed.

Back