A&H

Ref Fees

Scottybee

Level 7 Referee
I was looking on the Yesref App and came across an U15 game just up the road from me (UK) advertised with a match fee of £50.
A phone call confirmed they are paying the normal £28 fee as set by the grass roots local league where they play plus a £22 top up from the club chairman.

Obviously they are desperate to cover their games due to the ref shortage we all know about and have taken this approach.

It got me thinking is this ethical and would I potentially be putting myself in an “awkward” position if I was to take the inflated fee?

Obviously the bigger fee is good for the refs pocket but I’m imagining a poss scenario where an R makes an honest match result defining decision which is then questioned by a losing team amid accusations of additional payments/bribery?

Seems like dangerous territory to me, are there official rules regarding this?
What do we think my fellow refs?

The Referee Store
I was looking on the Yesref App and came across an U15 game just up the road from me (UK) advertised with a match fee of £50.
A phone call confirmed they are paying the normal £28 fee as set by the grass roots local league where they play plus a £22 top up from the club chairman.

Obviously they are desperate to cover their games due to the ref shortage we all know about and have taken this approach.

It got me thinking is this ethical and would I potentially be putting myself in an “awkward” position if I was to take the inflated fee?

Obviously the bigger fee is good for the refs pocket but I’m imagining a poss scenario where an R makes an honest match result defining decision which is then questioned by a losing team amid accusations of additional payments/bribery?

Seems like dangerous territory to me, are there official rules regarding this?
What do we think my fellow refs?
The league should be made aware. A dangerous way to operate, for the reasons you have stated, plus referees wanting all their games there, rogue referees offering services direct for £40, etc.

There's also a potential integrity problem, being paid extra money above the match fee listed in the handbook might not look too clever.

while there are issues here I dont think that potential bribery is one of them. they want a ref and cant get one at the set fee and so are willing and able to pay more.

as an aside on match fees from this weekend. i mentored a 15 year old ref on an u13 girls game and he got £30. my step 6 middle later that afternoon...£36 (plus expenses). the small difference seems incredible to me!

while there are issues here I dont think that potential bribery is one of them. they want a ref and cant get one at the set fee and so are willing and able to pay more.

as an aside on match fees from this weekend. i mentored a 15 year old ref on an u13 girls game and he got £30. my step 6 middle later that afternoon...£36 (plus expenses). the small difference seems incredible to me!
Maybe your £36 is underpaid?

I'm told that where referees are not appointed, referees can negotiate a fee.

You wanna move mate - £65 all in on our Step 5/6 League!

You wanna move mate - £65 all in on our Step 5/6 League!
what. the. hell

where are you?! might be worth my while to travel!!!

£36 on div 1 and £43 on prem here plus 40p per mile. I'm very rarely above £60 quid all in.

you can see why people go back to 5...£45 all in fee round here and (unsurprisingly) much less travel

what. the. hell

£36 on div 1 and £43 on prem here plus 40p per mile. I'm very rarely above £60 quid all in.

you can see why people go back to 5...£45 all in fee round here and (unsurprisingly) much less travel
Prem refs where I am are £58. Ars are £48. Div 1 refs are (I think) £53and AR’s are 43.

what. the. hell

Wessex League - covers Hampshire, and some of Dorset and Wiltshire... might be a bit far for you 😉😂

Why do you think us old gits (as some referees refer to us) keep observing, etc. 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

The CFA are trying to retain referees by mentoring / coaching, so the funds are available. The fees are paid by the clubs (who are all suffering from the lack of income). This is more obvious at Step 5/6, where they have significant other match costs as opposed to Step 7 and below, where is it pitch hire. The players fee goes up 50p each, produces an extra £10 for the referee (both teams paying).

Back